Password

Album Review
Modest Mouse - No One's First, and You're Next Album Cover

Modest Mouse - No One's First, and You're Next

Reviewed by
Modest Mouse - No One's First, and You're Next
Record Label: Epic Records
Release Date: August 4, 2009
This review is a user submitted review from Jeremy Aaron. You can see all of Jeremy Aaron's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
02:22 PM on 08/05/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Sounds cool. I've never liked bands like this, but Modest Mouse has always been a pleasure to listen to ever since I heard The Moon and Antarctica back in'03.
02:23 PM on 08/05/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Such a dope EP. Even though these aren't Modest Mouse's strongest songs they are still pretty. damn good.

For the most part I can see why these songs were left off previous albums except for the Whale Song. It shouldn't have been doomed to b-side status and is one of Modest Mouse's best songs. Ever.
I agree about the Whale Song part. It's their best song.
03:15 PM on 08/05/09
Daigle lol
don't tell me what I can't do!
User Info.
Very good review.. Just about every song on this EP is really good.. but I really love the opening Satellite Skin/Guilty Cocker Spaniels.. sometimes, I'll get to the end of Guilty Cocker Spaniels and just go back to the beginning and listen to those two songs.. also Whale Song and King Rat are awesome

the video for King Rat is pretty sick too.
03:18 PM on 08/05/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Great job with this review. I need to pick this up.
03:28 PM on 08/05/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Haha. Good to see positive responses. I half expected to see "this review didn't make any sense." My original word count was almost 900 words (this is my all-time favorite band, so I could ramble on all day if allowed), but I figured no one would want to read that much about a B-sides EP, so I just started chopping shit out. Glad it still flowed OK.
04:33 PM on 08/05/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i really like this EP
04:37 PM on 08/05/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
this is great analysis: "ot surprisingly, it comes off as a frank examination of belief, a typical Modest Mouse theme, but he's able to inject a bit of hopefulness even when spewing existential ruminations like "If you sweep up this mess I've created, nothing's left to show I existed." "Guilty Cocker Spaniels" is a more straightforward depiction of modern life as a mundane cycle, characterized by the pursuit of mindless entertainment and satisfaction."

And when you mention that thing about King Rat and past material, it clicked immediately. Nice mention.
06:40 AM on 08/06/09
IceAge/HeatWave
hello earth
User Info.
Such a dope EP. Even though these aren't Modest Mouse's strongest songs they are still pretty. damn impressive.

For the most part I can see why these songs were left off previous albums except for the Whale Song. It shouldn't have been doomed to b-side status and is one of Modest Mouse's best songs. Ever.
this.
06:50 AM on 08/06/09
jtyexists9
We shouldnt have abandoned dreaming
User Info.
I loved this ep, probably because Good News is a great album. Good review.
07:32 AM on 08/06/09
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
Great band.
07:33 AM on 08/06/09
Festivus
for the rest of us...
User Info.
I picked up the EP the other day and its been in my car ever since. Good stuff.
07:42 AM on 08/06/09
Kill_the_radio
Don't wait too long to come home
User Info.
I like the EP, and the review was good too!

Edit: Great BTS reference, my fav. band!
07:56 AM on 08/06/09
imtimwhoareyou
Student, photographer, etc.
User Info.
Haha. Good to see positive responses. I half expected to see "this review didn't make any sense." My original word count was almost 900 words (this is my all-time favorite band, so I could ramble on all day if allowed), but I figured no one would want to read that much about a B-sides EP, so I just started chopping shit out. Glad it still flowed OK.

I started to copy and paste the last sentence from the last paragraph to quote it, because I absolutely agree and it makes perfect sense, but then I realized that I should then do it for the second to last sentence too... Then the whole paragraph, haha.

Good review, and there is something special about this B-sides EP that's a little harder to put my finger on, whereas other B-sides albums seem to be thrown together. This is actually a pretty impressive set of "B-sides."

If I had not known these were B-sides before I picked up this album, I might have never known...
08:46 AM on 08/06/09
EricKillsTime
User Info.
Great review of a great EP. MM needs more love on AP.net.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos