Password

Album Review

Silent Fiction, A - Wasted Album Cover

Silent Fiction, A - Wasted

Reviewed by
A Silent Fiction - Wasted
Record Label: Burn City Burn
Release Date: June 27, 2009
When I bought the new A Silent Fiction EP, Wasted, I was slightly concerned. It showed all the signs of the new fad of dance-infused post-hardcore rubbish which all the kids seem to love these days. Bright, colourful cover art: check. References to substance abuse: check. Meaningless, long-winded song names: check. I breathed a sigh of relief when I heard the familiar sound I had associated with one of Australiaís emerging post-hardcore bands after their 2007 release, This Silence Is Deafening.

It seems things have changed since A Silent Fiction released their debut EP. The band acquired a new member, moving ex-bassist Andrew Barnes onto rhythm guitar to make way for Andrew Oxm. With a second guitarist, A Silent Fictionís sound slows to incorporate a more intricate melody, one which suits the DJ work of Joe Sullivan, who has a greater, more effective contribution to the EP.

Though Wasted might be a little less punchy than its predecessor, having rhythm and lead guitars adds intensity to A Silent Fictionís sound that they donít want to lose. Without the intensity, the music would have no energy. Mixed in with the more prominent catchy melodic guitars, the band is brewing a concoction that will be exciting to hear in years to come, but is not quite ready yet.

Itís Sullivanís contributions to this EP that really give it personality, not only with his DJ work, but with the many samples that are flung around throughout the EP. I admit, Iím a sucker for a good movie quote. Whether the samples used on Wasted are related or not is questionable, with a whole track dedicated to Team Americaís explanation of terrorism. Regardless, it adds a light-hearted touch to the EP, gives you an insight as to the band members and their personalities, and is a refreshing interlude between slightly better than usual, yet predictable post-hardcore lyrics.

Wasted brings energy and a bit of inventiveness to a somewhat stagnant scene, with good momentum from their previous release. Tight musicianship, good clear and growled vocals, and a fresh outlook should see A Silent Fiction moving into the spotlight in the Australian scene in the not-too-distant future.

Recommended If You Likepost-hardcore with a twist

MySpace
This review is a user submitted review from bolgy99. You can see all of bolgy99's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
06:28 PM on 08/21/09
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
hey i actually own the silence is deafening.
these guys deserve more exposure.
kudos to for promoting a good aussie band
im interested to hear how this sounds to the debut ep.
12:59 AM on 08/22/09
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
hey i actually own the silence is deafening.
these guys deserve more exposure.
kudos to for promoting a good aussie band
im interested to hear how this sounds to the debut ep.
Cheers, I loved the first EP.

It's definitely following a different sound, not nearly as chaotic/harsh as the first. It's not a bad thing though. As I said, there is a lot more sample/DJ work, but they somehow manage to make it fit. Definitely worth hearing.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos