Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Favorite Musical Moments 2 -- Your Thoughts

Posted by: Anton Djamoos (08/06/09)
When people think of beauty, it's nearly always associated with a visual image. The definition, according to dictionary.com, states that beauty is "the quality that gives pleasure to the mind or senses and is associated with such properties as harmony of form or color, excellence of artistry, truthfulness, and originality." The very definition of beauty even lends itself to the visual. Can beauty be applied to music?

With some moments in music, it's nearly impossible to argue against. There are particular sections of songs that can absolutely sweep a listener into a completely serene world with its aural escapism.

Beauty, however, is not needed to give a song a certain something that makes it unforgettable. Not all songs can fit the implied definition of beautiful, yet they still have incredible moments to them. Some stretches of music are so downright caustic and bombastic that they bring the listener so far into the song that it becomes impossible to not feel empowered. As long as the moment moves you in some way, there's no further qualification to determining what makes a great moment in one's opinion.

We at Absolutepunk.net would like to know--what are your favorite moments in music?

It can be any moment at all, one that lets you feel the band's passion through the music (think the building crescendo in As Tall As Lions' "Ghosts of York" from 2:53-3:26), one that lyrically speaks with an honesty and sincerity that feels unrivaled (think of Geoff from Thursday's cry to the world in "How Long Is The Night" from 4:28-end), or a part that just rocks (think 2:39-2:50 in At the Drive-In's "Cosmonaut"). Post whatever moments in music you love for whatever reason, we'd love to listen.

If you decide to post a moment, please format it in a way that will allow readers unfamiliar with the song to locate the moment easily, with the time frame in which the particular section appears. Also, list the reason why this moment deserves to be called one of your favorites, if it is the lyrical prowess, the music, a time in your life where it hit home, etc.

Note: If this looks familiar, it's because this is the same thread from almost two years ago. There has been a ton of new music, so please add whatever!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 319
07:47 AM on 08/06/09
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
This entire song. Yorke's vocals are some of the best of the band's career, and every moment is beautiful.

07:51 AM on 08/06/09
pleasedontask
Butter On A Summer Day...
User Info.
Transatlantiscm is just abeautiful album all around.
07:51 AM on 08/06/09
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The beginning of "What It Means to Be Alone" (00:00 - 00:20) by The Dear Hunter is great. Casey's voice is perfect for this band.

The ending of Thrice's "Firebreather" live from the House of Blues...stunning.

02:44 - 03:35 in Forgive Durden's "Meet the King" is the part with the gang vocals singing "all we have is love..." It's such a happy sounding part that I love it.
07:54 AM on 08/06/09
cw-ello
User Info.
I don't have the cds in front of me to timeprint them but I'll describe where the parts are.

New Way Home - Foo Fighters (on The Colour and the Shape). After thesecond chorus the music drops out and goes to barely a whisper and repeats the lines louder and louder until it's all out screaming
"I felt like this on my way home
I'm not scared
I pass the boats in the kingdom
I'm not scared"
It's one of the most passionate awesome parts of one of the greatest albums of all time.
07:55 AM on 08/06/09
Blakebear
User Info.
The endings of If Work Permits by the Format, and Third Eye Blind's Motorcycle Drive Bye are the first ones that come to mind.
07:55 AM on 08/06/09
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
i saw rise against live once, and i was about ten feet from the stage. now rise against isnt what you'd perhaps describe as beautiful music, but it started raining during Prayer of the Refugee and the final chorus of the song, with absolute carnage to my left and right in mosh pits, and everyone around me screaming the words like they were there last, yeah, that was a beautiful moment.
07:56 AM on 08/06/09
patpratt
test
User Info.
so far, i agree with this entire thread.
07:57 AM on 08/06/09
ffadam
Heaven Sent
User Info.
The beginning of "What It Means to Be Alone" (00:00 - 00:20) by The Dear Hunter is great. Casey's voice is perfect for this band.

The ending of Thrice's "Firebreather" live from the House of Blues...stunning.

02:44 - 03:35 in Forgive Durden's "Meet the King" is the part with the gang vocals singing "all we have is love..." It's such a happy sounding part that I love it.
Agreed on the Firebreather. When I saw that on the trailer, I had chills.

I'll think of some more. Hm...
Moira Amiss
I have the Lefevre Fever. Catch it!
User Info.
i'm in love with "a song for milly michaelson" by thrice. every time i hear it i stop whatever it is i'm doing, and i just sit and listen to it. it's so simple and so quiet. i especially like 1:58 - 2:30. plus the build up towards the end of the song when the drums kick in: 3:52 - 4:22
geebee889
Registered Goober
User Info.
In the Brighten song "We Chose the King", the whole time they sing "In all this chaos we found safety" gives me chills. I was just listening to it yesterday, and the harmony gets me every freaking time.
07:58 AM on 08/06/09
BlackAxxe
DAY MAN! FIGHTER OF THE NIGHT MAN!
User Info.
Big Shot(Hands in the Sky) by Straylight Run - (02:45 - 05:05)

One of my favourite parts in any song, ever. Seeing it live was absolutely immense.

EDIT: haha, hands in the sky(big shot) not the other way around :P
07:58 AM on 08/06/09
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Big Shot(Hands in the Sky) by Straylight Run - (02:45 - 05:05)

One of my favourite parts in any song, ever. Seeing it live was absolutely immense.
Oooh that's a good one. Voice cracking Nolan is Nolan at best.
07:59 AM on 08/06/09
swimforthemusic
User Info.
In the Brighten song "We Chose the King", the whole time they sing "In all this chaos we found safety" gives me chills. I was just listening to it yesterday, and the harmony gets me every freaking time.

I just came here to post this exact thing.
08:02 AM on 08/06/09
micsforsinging
User Info.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT