AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Underoath - Survive, Kaleidoscope [CD/DVD] Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8.75
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.25
Musicianship 6.42
Lyrics 6.75
Production 8.42
Creativity 6.25
Lasting Value 5.92
Reviewer Tilt 5.75
Average: 65%
Inside AP.net

Underoath - Survive, Kaleidoscope [CD/DVD]

Reviewed by: Keagan Ilvonen (08/06/09)
Underoath - Survive, Kaleidoscope [CD/DVD]
Record Label: Tooth & Nail
Release Date: May 27th, 2008

For a band that has gone through numerous member changes and only retained one original member, Underoath are doing pretty damn good. When the band lost their vocalist Dallas Taylor, it seemed like the end was near, but with continued fate, the group found a new vocalist named Spencer Chamberlain and they havenít looked back since. The group has become one of the biggest bands not only in the post-hardcore scene, but the music scene in general. With every record, the band continues to push their songwriting abilities. After the highly successful album, Define The Great Line, the band went on lengthy tours and continued to work away at trying to topple their last effort. Knowing that this was going to take some time, they released the DVD 777. The DVD was mostly footage of the band on tour supporting the album, but it also included a short concert that was done for Myspace's Secret Shows.

After some time passed, the band announced that they would be filming another concert for another DVD. They stated that even though they though 777 was a solid release, they wanted to give the fans a full live show while they finished recording the new album. The footage that was shot would later be known as Survive, Kaleidoscope.

Now, when you first pop in the DVD section of this release something is going to catch your eye. What may that be, you ask? The answer is: lovely black bars surrounding the top and bottom half of your television screen, which in return means the show was taped in 16:9 widescreen. This may be upsetting to some, and others (such as myself) may love it. Thanks to the widescreen video, the footage is stellar, giving the concert an over-the-top production feel. Not that itís a good thing, but I'd bet you could count every bead of sweat on Spencer Chamberlainís forehead; the picture quality is just that good. It doesnít get much better than this when it comes to a live production. Underoath give it their all on this night, putting everything out on the stage which can be felt with every continuous head bang from Chris Dudley. Musically, the band is completely in sync and proves why they are hailed as the front-runner of their genre. Although there are studio touch-ups to make it seem better than it really is, for the most part, the band is one of the best at what they do.

I highly suggest watching the DVD over listening to the CD for the whole experience, as the audio quality just isnít totally up to par and leaves more to be desired. At the end of the day, Underoath did what they set out to do, which is release a full live show and give the fans what they wanted. If you have been a fan of the past couple records, I highly doubt youíll have any issues with Survive, Kaleidoscope. Faith is the center of the bandís idea and if you had lost any in them, this may be the revitalizing factor.

Additional LinksOfficial Site - Myspace - AP.Net Profile - Amazon

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
08:16 PM on 08/21/09
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
Even though the production and video quality are stellar this was a fucking waste of money.
I only watched the DVD once and listened to the album twice and as a matter of fact I still don't remember why I bought this. There are zero extras on the DVD and both the album and DVD are basically just a live version of DTGL with 3 TOCS songs. They should have waited until LISTOS was released until they made a proper live album.
This. I watched it the day I got it and not once since. I should just sell it for store credit at FYE.
04:29 AM on 08/22/09
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
i love underoath but this never appealed to me, i bought 777 and wasnt overly enthrauled for the most part.
04:40 AM on 08/22/09
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
i don't really understand these things. the DVD/CD combo packs. i never enjoy the DVD.
06:48 AM on 08/22/09
oncedarkness
Listen to Josh Garrels
User Info.
The CD is disappointing but I still pop in the DVD from time to time. Looks like I'm in the minority but I think it's well worth the money just for the DVD. Video/sound quality is great and it really shows the intensity that is involved w/ an UO show.
08:19 AM on 08/22/09
bradsonemanband
Change To Fire/Cootie Catcher
User Info.
i don't really understand these things. the DVD/CD combo packs. i never enjoy the DVD.
I enjoy the "They're Only Chasing Safety" CD/DVD combo meal. I thought the DVD was pretty cool; a documentary and music videos.

I haven't felt the need to pick up 777 or Survive, Kaleidoscope yet though.
09:10 AM on 08/22/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
The CD is disappointing but I still pop in the DVD from time to time. Looks like I'm in the minority but I think it's well worth the money just for the DVD. Video/sound quality is great and it really shows the intensity that is involved w/ an UO show.
You mean when they preach to the crowd?
04:20 PM on 08/22/09
danawalker
User Info.
I enjoy the "They're Only Chasing Safety" CD/DVD combo meal. I thought the DVD was pretty cool; a documentary and music videos.

I haven't felt the need to pick up 777 or Survive, Kaleidoscope yet though.
yes this dvd that came with the special edition re-release was awesome and I remember watching it quite a few times. i wish more bands had solid "documentaries" like this
02:40 PM on 08/26/09
oncedarkness
Listen to Josh Garrels
User Info.
You mean when they preach to the crowd?
Yeah, like when Spencer is just sharing what saved his life. It's not like he told anyone that they had to believe what he did.
02:52 PM on 08/26/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Yeah, like when Spencer is just sharing what saved his life. It's not like he told anyone that they had to believe what he did.
I went to once of their concerts and he drops his guitar halfway through Living In Black In White and told us all to follow Christ because he knows what is best. They started chanting "Christ!" and then i left... it was not worth the 10 dollars at all.
11:35 AM on 08/30/09
ENTER ENDER
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I went to once of their concerts and he drops his guitar halfway through Living In Black In White and told us all to follow Christ because he knows what is best. They started chanting "Christ!" and then i left... it was not worth the 10 dollars at all.

Ive seen them 5+ times and never has anything remotely close to that happened.

Unless you have a video to prove it, I'm calling you out your lie.

If you're reffering to the 2 minute (if that) testmony spencer usually gives, then you need to chill out.
05:01 PM on 08/30/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.

If you're reffering to the 2 minute (if that) testmony spencer usually gives, then you need to chill out.
no, i don't bring videos to concerts.... so you can disbelieve me all you want but that's what happened.
11:13 AM on 11/05/09
sullivancares
User Info.
Ha weird. Everyone seems to not like this. I love it. If any of you actually had any idea how freaking difficult it is to play their style of music live...while looking good too....yes. This is a really good concert.
07:49 PM on 02/20/10
theKIDwithSTIX
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I loved it. The cd was perhaps average, but the dvd was nuts.
11:46 AM on 04/16/10
Mitch Dickard
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

i'm with you. i've seen them multiple times, in multiple cities over the past 7 years. And not once has it gone over one 15-30 second talk from spencer saying what they believe.

then it's over.

NEVER do they do anything more, and i call bullshit. That kid made up some stuff to prove his point, which isn't really a point...
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums