AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Tyler Weinrich - 01.07.09

Tyler Weinrich - 01.07.09

Interviewed by
Tyler Weinrich - 01.07.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Tyler Weinrich - [Myspace]

Hey guys! My name is Tyler Weinrich and I am a singer songwriter from Yuba City, CA (35 miles north of Sacramento). I've been performing in the Northern California area for years now and as of May 2008 am a solo artist. My CD "Rediscover" came out in the fall of 2008 and I am trying to book as many shows as possible!

In my recent bands, Ten Falls Forth (Rise/Victory Records) and Talk of the Town! (DiscoTech/EW), I have played many big shows with national acts, warped tour, zumiez couch tour, SxSW, and toured the country in general a few times! I had a single called "Live forever in a day" on KWOD 106.5 (Sacramento Radio) for about 3-4 months in 2007, and we were featured in magazines such as Alternative Press and many others! Hope you enjoy the interview!!

1. How did you get your band name?
Well It's my first and last name so it wasn't TOO hard to come up with! hah

2. How did this band get started?
After touring with my old bands,Ten Falls Forth (Rise/Victory Records) and Talk of the Town! (Disco Tech), for a couple years and then both splitting up, I decided to start a solo project rather than another band again.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I'm influenced by a lot of 90's alternative and actually a lot of R&B, My favorite song writers in general are The Beatles (obviously), John Rzeznik (Goo Goo Dolls), Stephen Jenkins (Third Eye Blind), Rob Thomas (Matchbox Twenty), Chris Carrabba (Dashboard Confessional), and Ryan Cabrera. Now-a-days I listen to a lot of Gavin Degraw, Matt Nathanson, Jason Mraz, Chris Brown, Ne-yo, and anything from A Day to Remember to a little rap if I'm in the right mood! Sorry if all those bands listed together confused you, I'm just a fan of music in general and will basically listen to any genre as long as I like the song.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Present would have to be any of the bands I listed, maybe throw Secondhand Serenade in there too because I think his fans would like my music. But for the past, hmmmmm The Beatles just to say I did it, and Journey when Steve Perry was still their singer.... can you say "Epic"?

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Well I am a HUUUUUGE animal person so this is hard for me. My favorite is the Siberian Tiger and I hope to own one someday haha. So I'd have to say that I'd like to be one also. They live a perfect lazy life. They lick their paws all day and groom themselves. They have amazing colors and image so you KNOW the females in the animal kingdom are all about them AND they can definitely kick ass when the time is necessary! :)

6. Why should people listen to your band?
People should listen to my music because, unlike a lot of the stuff that is out there right now that is just written to sell records, every single one of my songs comes straight from the heart. My debut EP "Rediscover" I just released is 7 song, 4 chapter story from beginning to end about rediscovering who you are after losing yourself for awhile. It is about the steps it takes to find who you are inside and out all over again. Please Listen :)

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Well most of my music is all acoustic stuff and isn't very hard at all haha But, I'd have to say my song "All We Got". It has this kind of funk to it that I think would translate well into a video game. It MIGHT be fun to play! and it'd definitely be in the top 3 easy sections of songs on expert.. lol

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I would thank God, my Mom, all of my Grandparents, (basically my entire family for always supporting me in everything I do), my friend Kasey Buber for teaching me how to play "Stand by Me" on guitar when we were 14, my uncle Tim for inspiring me to play music, and every single person that has ever listened to my music.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The fact that "Real" musicians are disappearing fast. It seems like all these people are creating songs on their Korg synthesizers and laptops then singing with extreme auto tune on their vocals and making it big! Mad props to everyone that did it because at least you get to play music for a living. So maybe not the industry, its the kids that go to shows and buy the music that I think need to go back to their roots! The music scene has changed tremendously in the past couple years and I definitely feel it was for the worse..

10. Memorable tour experience?
WOW, wellllll I think the tour that my old band Ten Falls Forth did with Stilllife Projector (Rise Records) and Self Against City (Drive-thru) was my most memorable. 2 specific stories come to mind from that tour. We played in El Paso, TX at the House of Rock n' Roll. Basically they were selling pitchers for like 2 bucks to the bands and that was just bad news. This venue is attached to what looked like a motel from "Psycho" and I think the rooms were like 12 bucks a night for the bands. Well about 15 pitchers later the show is about to end and the kids from the show began to party with us all, I tried surfing on a table in the venue that was wobbly, well it completely broke and sent me flying, the promoter wasn't happy, then I go upstairs and see the guys from SVC dumping a trash can in our room (and yes a BIG trash can) so it turned into this crazy "who could mess up the other bands room more" game. Jeff from SVC tried to open his bathroom window and it popped off the hinge and crashed on the cement outside, next thing we know is there is one pissed off promoter with one pissed off gun in his hand threatening to SHOOT us if we didn't leave immediately! yeah that was all bad, and since it took too long to tell that story, I'll just leave the second story as this.... "South By Southwest (SXSW) is the most amazing thing ever invented!!!"

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP has been around forever and I love it. You can always count on going to your site and finding out anything important in the music scene. It has definitely stood out amongst the other sites and I am glad it has been around for so long.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I like either playing "Don't go too Far" "Dizzy" or "All We Got" because those are the crowd favorites and it's always good to hear people singing along with you!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Well the only time I ever get to vacation is when I'm going out of state for a show or tour, but I really enjoy Texas, Florida, and Michigan, just seem to be filled with really nice people :) Around here I really like San Luis Obispo, Fort Brag, and Santa Cruz!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Anything country because of my mom, (Garth Brooks, George Strait, etc...) or Pat Benatar because of my dad haha. Bush "Sixteen Stone" was my first CD ever, so that definitely brings about some memories for me!

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
That is very easy...... HANDS DOWN! I would want to be able to fly! Do I even need to explain why?

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Well I've only been doing this solo project since about May of 208 and my CD has only been available for a short time, and in this short amount of time I feel I have accomplished a lot. No where even CLOSE to "making it" but I have accomplished a lot, can't wait to see what else is to come!

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
hmmmmm, welllllll... I have a day job where I work as a waiter/bartender at Red Robin. I am vegetarian, I am not athletically inclined in ANY way, I breed Siberian Huskies with my mom, and My 9th cousin is Abraham Lincoln (true story)!

18. What's your favorite holiday?
I love Christmas just because you get to see all your loved ones, but Halloween is definitely the most fun!

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Other than write music and respond to people from my myspace account, I watch a LOT of movies. I have tonsss of DVDS and I love watching them haha. My dog Abby's favorites movie is "8 Below" w/ Paul Walker in it. I'm kinda sick of that one now but I watch it here and there for her sake ;)

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Like I said earlier I was not born athletically inclined so sports are out of the question! haha But I CAN say the alphabet backwards and do one HELL of a smeagol/Gollum impression from Lord of the Rings!

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests