Username
Password

04:12 PM on 10/06/09 
User Info.
Juturna25
tie me up! unite me!
washington, d.c.
Male - 24 Years Old
im interested in law school. I hope to do well enough undergrad and on the lsat to go somewhere like uva law (ohh wishfulll thinkinggggg)
06:13 PM on 10/06/09 
User Info.
Neo Cassady
Let's go exploring!
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 28 Years Old
Every time I watch Law & Order, it makes me want to go to law school
06:54 PM on 10/06/09 
User Info.
RedWineSheets
www.myspace.com/ryangustafsonmusic
North Carolina
Male - 28 Years Old
Every time I watch Law & Order, it makes me want to go to law school

law is nothing like it is depicted on tv.
07:03 PM on 10/06/09 
User Info.
Neo Cassady
Let's go exploring!
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 28 Years Old

Of course. Same with medicine, I would imagine. But it's more the general idea of it that makes me consider it, not the TV vs. real-life details.
08:54 PM on 10/06/09 
User Info.
silentstar1134
Just a shimmy and a shake of hope
NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
I think I did ok, but I still might be lingering in the high 40's or low 50's one more shot if I feel like I can do better. 3.6 gpa and I graduated a year early so I think I have a shot with a school that only takes the best score.
03:48 PM on 10/08/09 
User Info.
Villanova1L
Pseudo Intellectual

Its way more interesting. How did you not LOVE Civ Pro?
06:11 PM on 10/08/09 
User Info.
RedWineSheets
www.myspace.com/ryangustafsonmusic
North Carolina
Male - 28 Years Old
Its way more interesting. How did you not LOVE Civ Pro?

haha. these kids are in for a rude awakening. I almost feel bad for em.
06:35 PM on 10/10/09 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
im interested in law school. I hope to do well enough undergrad and on the lsat to go somewhere like uva law (ohh wishfulll thinkinggggg)

Pretty sure UVA has like, an acceptance rate equal to Harvard's or something. Like for some reason it's freakishy hard to get into.
08:04 PM on 10/16/09 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
Dear law school people, I have a few questions, maybe you guys will know.

1. I can't figure out how to add in another major in the LSAC common app? Or how to add in my study abroad school, although, I don't know that I'm supposed to put it in.
2. When they say disciplinary misconduct, would the one alchohol citation I got in freshman year count? Or do they mean more serious things?
3. I wanted to apply early to increase my chances, but, I'm wondering if it would be better to wait til' after my grades for this semester come out, because they may raise my gpa a bit. Which is the better plan?
08:36 PM on 10/16/09 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
P.S, if anyone is curious about the me that is applying to law school:
3.122 GPA (upward trend, 2.3, 3.2, 3.2, 3.4,3.6, 2.75 (abroad semester, which sadly, i think will count in the LSAC GPA, and screw me over), and hopefully a 3.6 or 3.8 this semester. Edit: also just realized that I have to send in my grades from the random classes I took for no reason, a cornell summer course and stats course, both of which I got a b-something in. So, awesome, yet another thing to fuck up my gpa. I'll prob. somehow wind up with like a 2.5 or something.
159, first try, 161, 2nd try
Case Western undergrad, so, it's somewhere in the top 50- poli. sci and english major, minoring in public policy and econ
Extra stuff - Internship in the senate, Also internship at a label, President - Case Dems, English Honors Society, Study Abroad, Part time work since Sophomore year, some other activities that aren't that important.

I need to start figuring out where I'll be able to get in, so I don't waste all my money on reach school apps. Fairly determined to be in the Northeast (or DC), and even more preferably in a city.
12:23 PM on 11/20/09 
User Info.
Villanova1L
Pseudo Intellectual
P.S, if anyone is curious about the me that is applying to law school:
3.122 GPA (upward trend, 2.3, 3.2, 3.2, 3.4,3.6, 2.75 (abroad semester, which sadly, i think will count in the LSAC GPA, and screw me over), and hopefully a 3.6 or 3.8 this semester. Edit: also just realized that I have to send in my grades from the random classes I took for no reason, a cornell summer course and stats course, both of which I got a b-something in. So, awesome, yet another thing to fuck up my gpa. I'll prob. somehow wind up with like a 2.5 or something.
159, first try, 161, 2nd try
Case Western undergrad, so, it's somewhere in the top 50- poli. sci and english major, minoring in public policy and econ
Extra stuff - Internship in the senate, Also internship at a label, President - Case Dems, English Honors Society, Study Abroad, Part time work since Sophomore year, some other activities that aren't that important.

I need to start figuring out where I'll be able to get in, so I don't waste all my money on reach school apps. Fairly determined to be in the Northeast (or DC), and even more preferably in a city.

Upward trend means essentially nothing, especially considering its barely upward. An upward trend of meaning is like 2.0, 2.3, 3.8, 4.0, 4.0 and the reason for your low scores was illness, working to support your family, etc. A relatively small increase each semester after your first semester isn't uncommon and unexceptional.

If you're LSAC GPA is 2.5 and your LSAT is a 161 and you want to practice in the Northeast I'd recommend Temple, Villanova, Rutgers-Camden, Seton Hall, Pitt, and American.

Let me know how it goes.
12:39 PM on 11/20/09 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
Upward trend means essentially nothing, especially considering its barely upward. An upward trend of meaning is like 2.0, 2.3, 3.8, 4.0, 4.0 and the reason for your low scores was illness, working to support your family, etc. A relatively small increase each semester after your first semester isn't uncommon and unexceptional.

If you're LSAC GPA is 2.5 and your LSAT is a 161 and you want to practice in the Northeast I'd recommend Temple, Villanova, Rutgers-Camden, Seton Hall, Pitt, and American.

Let me know how it goes.

Good lord, I hope my LSAC GPA isn't a 2.5. When I counted in my study abroad grades, I had like a 3.0 - and if I even get a 3.6 this semester (although I'll probably do better) then I'll have like a 3.1. And I think breaking the 3 mark makes a difference. I also think even having something slightly upward is better than just having crappy grades all the way through. Not gonna lie, I was very proud of myself when I got a 3.6 - because my school is fucking hard. You seem so dissilusioned by law school.

But I am applying to Temple, Villanova, American and Seton Hall. Then like 5 billion other schools ranked like 50-100, and my reaches as GW Part time, Cardozo and Washington and Lee.
04:56 PM on 11/20/09 
User Info.
Villanova1L
Pseudo Intellectual
Good lord, I hope my LSAC GPA isn't a 2.5. When I counted in my study abroad grades, I had like a 3.0 - and if I even get a 3.6 this semester (although I'll probably do better) then I'll have like a 3.1. And I think breaking the 3 mark makes a difference. I also think even having something slightly upward is better than just having crappy grades all the way through. Not gonna lie, I was very proud of myself when I got a 3.6 - because my school is fucking hard. You seem so dissilusioned by law school.

But I am applying to Temple, Villanova, American and Seton Hall. Then like 5 billion other schools ranked like 50-100, and my reaches as GW Part time, Cardozo and Washington and Lee.

Where did/do you go for undergad?

In your post before this you said, "I'll probably end up with a 2.5 or something," so that's what I went with, but I'll give some school based on a 3.1.

A 3.1 and 161 LSAT gives you a really good shot at:
Georgia State (under looked school)
Howard (not to mention the diversity you'd bring)
New York Law School
Penn State (climbing the all important US News Rankings)
Rutgers - Camden/Newark
Seton Hall
Villanova
and anything lower than them.

As far as reaches beyond what you wrote:
Tulane
Tennessee
Richmond
Pitt
Ohio State
Brooklyn

I've also heard that part-time programs don't have to report their GPA/LSAT to the average, so your scores might get you some longer looks there (Fordham and I think GW like you said).

I'd consider aiming for a smaller market (Atlanta, Charlotte, Richmond, Phoenix etc) with fewer schools competing for jobs than going to the 4th/5th best school in New York, Philadelphia or DC. As for Philadelphia (Villanova, Temple, Rutgers, and even Penn) job offers to summer associates was less than 45% this year, which is absolutely unheard of.

I think if you talk to the bulk of people in law school currently they are disillusioned. Such is law school, I suppose. I don't think breaking a 3.0 helps to be honest, only in that it is .1 higher than a 2.9. Every application process is very formulaic, much more so than admissions would have you believe. Schools say they look at every facet of a student to get their application money. Same holds true for LSAC giving out waivers to get their $12. A little cynicism will help you in your studies.
06:25 PM on 11/20/09 
User Info.
tommyishere
Balloon Manufactuar
Male - 22 Years Old
im interested in law but do you have to major in pre-law?
i thought it was a major in history or english? right now for applications i set my major as history
07:58 PM on 11/20/09 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
Where did/do you go for undergad?

In your post before this you said, "I'll probably end up with a 2.5 or something," so that's what I went with, but I'll give some school based on a 3.1.

A 3.1 and 161 LSAT gives you a really good shot at:
Georgia State (under looked school)
Howard (not to mention the diversity you'd bring)
New York Law School
Penn State (climbing the all important US News Rankings)
Rutgers - Camden/Newark
Seton Hall
Villanova
and anything lower than them.

As far as reaches beyond what you wrote:
Tulane
Tennessee
Richmond
Pitt
Ohio State
Brooklyn

I've also heard that part-time programs don't have to report their GPA/LSAT to the average, so your scores might get you some longer looks there (Fordham and I think GW like you said).

I'd consider aiming for a smaller market (Atlanta, Charlotte, Richmond, Phoenix etc) with fewer schools competing for jobs than going to the 4th/5th best school in New York, Philadelphia or DC. As for Philadelphia (Villanova, Temple, Rutgers, and even Penn) job offers to summer associates was less than 45% this year, which is absolutely unheard of.

I think if you talk to the bulk of people in law school currently they are disillusioned. Such is law school, I suppose. I don't think breaking a 3.0 helps to be honest, only in that it is .1 higher than a 2.9. Every application process is very formulaic, much more so than admissions would have you believe. Schools say they look at every facet of a student to get their application money. Same holds true for LSAC giving out waivers to get their $12. A little cynicism will help you in your studies.

Case Western - our little motto here is that we have just as much work as the people at the Ivy's but none of the prestige or grade inflation.

Anyway, I'm sticking pretty strictly to NY, DC, Phili. I just don't want to be anywhere else, so I'm not even going to bother with one of those other cities. I don't particularly care if I'm at the 4th-5th best school, I'm also not aiming for a big law job.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos