AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

The OK Corral - 01.07.09

Interviewed by
The OK Corral - 01.07.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The OK Corral - (Brett Nickley, guitar and vocals) [myspace]

1.How did you get your band name?
Mike Matthews and I had just finished our first demo in our basement and wanted to get a Myspace up so we could show our friends. We didn't have a band name, or song title, so we were looking everywhere for inspiration, and landed upon a deck of Trivial Pursuit cards. We were going through all the answers and finally found The OK Corral. The name stuck as a band name, and we named the song, "The Trivial Pursuit."

2. How did this band get started?

Mike M. and I started summer 2007, with the intention of being an acoustic duo. We recorded a five song EP in my basement, played a handful of shows, and eventually decided that we wanted to expand. After a few lineup changes, our band solidified this past summer, with Mike Burbrink on drums, and my brother Scott on keys, and backing vocals.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

To name a few (since there are so many): Brand New, Bright Eyes, Manchester Orchestra, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Format, Saves the Day, Thrice, Say Anything, The Hold Steady, Jimmy Eat World, Death Cab for Cutie, Radiohead, Weezer, Straylight Run, The Get Up Kids, Cursive, Rilo Kiley, The Arcade Fire, and all the bands from our area that we've seen grow in the past few years.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?

This is an awesome question…it's gonna be a big tour:
Manchester Orchestra: Our band's favorite band…and they're really cool dudes.
Blink 182: Our tour would complete the Urethra Chronicle trilogy.
The Gay Blades: I don't think people know what to make of these guys…we think they're hilarious, and play awesome music.
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band: These guys are timeless.
Jay-Z: The best rapper alive.
Radiohead: What live music should sound like.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?

Scott and I have a pet bunny named Sammy, so I guess we'd all wanna be bunnies so we could hang out with Sammy.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

I think there's a ton of good music out there right now, and there's a ton of bad music. We've tried our best to write songs that are interesting, musically and lyrically, in order to compete with some of the best bands out there.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?

We'd want this new song "BTF." It's a fast, driving song, that's hard to sing, got killer guitar riffs from Mike M., and always has Mike B. holding his arm after we play it. I think it would be introduced in the second half of the game, and it would be pretty hard on expert.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Mom and Dad for letting us practice and record in our basement at crazy hours. David Silberstein who booked shows for us, and played bass for us. And anyone who came to our shows, bought our stuff, or listened to our music.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I feel like we've turned to a much more singles-based music generation than an album-based one. To me, the album is something that defines a band, rather than if they have a song or two on the radio. So I guess I would like to see albums make a comeback. I wish CD's were a few bucks cheaper, too, because I love collecting them, but it just adds up after a while.

10. Memorable tour experience?

It was a few days before Christmas, and Mike and I were playing an acoustic show at Berryville, VA (population 48?). We had a Christmas song or two on the line-up, a good time was being had by all. We got done, and these guys came on next, who looked like they were straight out of The Casualties. They started their set with this: "Who here's celebrating Christmas? Well we hate Christmas. This song is dedicated to our lord and savior, Satan. It's called "Eat, S**t, F**k." After that was the most hardcore punk I've ever heard.

11. What does AP.net mean to you

AP.net is an awesome way for me to keep up on the music I like. The format is great because if there's a story I don't care about, I simply don't read it…and then I get all excited when I see the icon of a band I like. I check it a few times a day, and a lot of times its been the source where I learn even major news events.

12. What is your favorite song to play

I think we'd all agree that "Don't Wait" has been the favorite since the band began. It's very dynamic and has this building energy throughout it.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Our dad grew up in England, and we've been twice already, and it's so nice there. Everything from the buildings to the parks…it's awesome.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

On my 4th birthday I got the Vanilla Ice, and MC Hammer tapes…which pretty much changed my life. My parents played a lot of Bruce, Rod Stewart, Tom Petty, and George Thorogood around the house also. And then of course anything from 90's rock/alternative radio.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

I think teleportation would be the most useful for a band, because touring would be super easy. We could hit up a show in New York, Chicago, and LA all in one night.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?

Of course not.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I was born with half of an extra digit on the pinkie of my left hand. Mike M. was in my mom's Sunday school class in second grade (7 years before we met). Mike B. is going to be a guidance counselor at a middle school. Scott has been The Cat in the Hat, Schroeder from Peanuts, Davy Crockett, Danny Zuko from Grease, and Demetrius from "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in different plays he's been in.

18. What's your favorite holiday?

Any holiday that we get off of school, because we can play shows and record.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

We're all in college, so that takes up a lot of time. I'm a huge soccer fan…I love playing and watching soccer. Scott does a lot of theater stuff. Mike M. knits sweaters with elderly ladies, and Mike B. gets super ripped at the gym.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I can belly dance and make myself as skinny as an Olsen twin, or look 9 months pregnant. Scott sings better than I do. Mike B. plays basically every instrument better than I do, and also the cello. Mike M. covers Beyonce songs better than Sasha Fierce herself.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
01:46 AM on 08/14/09
Samc1803
NO WORMS ON THE BED.
User Info.
They mentioned The Gay Blades. Win.
09:19 AM on 08/19/09
fobmcrafi6
down with the fad
User Info.
haha i believe i was the one who booked the berryville show,,, yes this is charley haha, i ve missed you guys. and i really wished i lived in vienna so i could see you guys there :( you guys are always so much fun.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos