AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sleeping at Last- Storyboards Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.75
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 9.75
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 98%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.83
Musicianship 9.83
Lyrics 9.96
Production 9.67
Creativity 9.63
Lasting Value 9.46
Reviewer Tilt 9.58
Average: 97%
Inside AP.net

Sleeping at Last- Storyboards

Reviewed by: inthemidst (08/14/09)
Sleeping at Last- Storyboards
Record Label: Independent
Release Date: July 21, 2009 (Digital), TBD (Physical)

There is a rare occurrence that every music fan desires that only actually happens once in every blue moon. It’s called “the album.” The rarity of the previously mentioned occurrence is what makes music great, and why people like yours truly are so hopelessly obsessed with finding the one. An album that brings goosebumps strewn across your skin. An album that gives you that peaceful serenity. An album that makes other albums just footnotes in its unbelievable presence bellowing loudly over your speakers each and every day until you just can’t anymore in fear of exhausting the material in your brain. Sleeping at Last has the unmatched talent and brevity to pull this off with each and every release they’ve concocted.

Here comes the next “one” with Storyboards. It’s been three long years since the release of Keep No Score, and it was well worth the wait for this fitting masterpiece. Storyboards kicks off with “Porcelain,” showing off Ryan O’Neal’s original emotional vocals backed by a beautiful composition of string orchestra and the finger-picking of an acoustic guitar. The rhythm that guides the track along is done well by Dan Perdue. “Naive” is a more piano-prominent track, that yet again displays O’Neal’s wonderfully poetic lyrical comprehension. O’Neal has a way of flowing eloquent words to fit within the created melody; it’s really masterfully done.

“Clockwork” is another masterful piece. The orchestra again flexes it’s muscles, and it sounds like something out of a Juilliard graduate's resume. There are none of the typically used instruments, just the string orchestration, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Very tasteful and original. “Unmade” is more stripped down with not much more than O’Neal’s acoustic guitar and very light drumming. O’Neal sings “I believe that we’ve got it wrong, got it wrong /We Realize that when it’s said and done, said and done / With our words we’ve lost so much more than we’ve ever won.” These epiphanies by O’Neal are all over Storyboards, more numerous than I can count. The tracks resonate through your heart like the feeling of being in love.

“Timelapse” begins with a lovely violin, then quickly breaks into a shift in tempo leaving the listener aghast in a sea of melody. The quick rhythm change gives the track a sense of urgency that none of the previous tracks contained, making it original in its own right. “Birdcage Religion” is one of the slower songs on the album, and yet is the only track that contains the use of an electric guitar. With “Green Screens”, O’Neal wastes no time with his telling of personal revelation: “If only worry could make a change / Then suddenly our world would take new shape.” Isn’t this something you’d normally read in a book? O’Neal’s hopeful and spiritual literary techniques simply cannot be matched, and he displays it on each track of Storyboards.

Keep No Score was a pivotal album that benchmarked Sleeping at Last as independent music’s heroes, but Storyboards shows the consistency that these guys have. Hopefully it won’t be three more years before another album of theirs is released, but either way, I am more than satisfied with letting this LP hog my iPod.

Track Listing1. Porcelain
2. Chandeliers
3. Naive
4. Side by Side
5. Slow & Steady
6. Clockwork
7. Unmade
8. Timelapse
9. Birdcage Religion
10. Green Screens
11. All This to Say

Recommended If You LikeCopeland, This Day & Age, Sigur Ros, Coldplay

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
07:52 PM on 08/24/09
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
with this album sleeping at last has officially jumped into my top 10 favorite bands for sure. All their albums are just so darn good. Definitely will be in my top 3 for the year.
12:01 AM on 08/25/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
I love Keep No Score. Got it from noisetrade when it was on there for a month. I really want this but don't know where to get it in the UK.
06:57 AM on 08/25/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
I love Keep No Score. Got it from noisetrade when it was on there for a month. I really want this but don't know where to get it in the UK.
Right now, it's not out on physical release in stores. You'd have to pre-order it. Just go to www.sleepingatlast.com, and you can get the digital LP for $14, and the physical release will be mailed probably around early September. If you have the means, I highly recommend it. The album is incredible.
12:57 PM on 08/25/09
TangledUp
crazy cat lady
User Info.
Certainly looking into them.
04:20 PM on 08/25/09
shimmyshakes
Registered Member
User Info.
I want to like this, but I honestly can't even listen to the whole thing. It's almost annoying =/
03:55 PM on 08/26/09
Cue the Sun
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
Gorgeous album.
06:28 AM on 08/27/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
08:22 AM on 08/31/09
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.

That's a very simple, but also the most correct way to describe this album. One of my favorites of this year, absolutely beautiful.
03:35 AM on 09/10/09
raychull
User Info.
This is beautiful.
01:47 PM on 09/12/09
Jookl
haaaaaaaaaaaa!
User Info.
never heard this band Before, it's so beautiful!

Thank you very much!
03:23 PM on 09/13/09
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Really need to hear this soon, this band is amazing.
01:21 PM on 09/14/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
never heard this band Before, it's so beautiful!

Thank you very much!
You're welcome; happy to do it!
01:50 AM on 11/04/09
Pawan1993
Change isn't the same as progress
User Info.
I want to like this, but I honestly can't even listen to the whole thing. It's almost annoying =/
You need to listen to music mate.
12:21 AM on 01/22/10
dmobley
I'm a sucker for a kind word
User Info.
buying this cd on itunes as we speak based on this review... doesn't sound like i'll be the least bit disappointed
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums