Password

Album Review

Broadway - Kingdoms Album Cover

Broadway - Kingdoms

Reviewed by
Broadway - Kingdoms
Record Label: Uprising Records
Release Date: July 7, 2009
I didn't start out in love with Broadway. Being a part of a scene with a lot of crap to weed out doesn't do a band good when it comes to publicity. I was skeptical to think these guys were good when I was going to The Artery Foundation Across The Nation tour. After all, their Myspace only showed small signs of promise, with what sounded like a typical post-hardcore sounding song. What interested me, though, is that on a band's first full length, they could get Jonny Craig and Craig Owens to lend guest vocals. Hate aside, the post-hardcore scene seems to eat up these two vocalists, and with a random band hailing from Florida getting these two on their first LP, I had to instantly assume they had promise. And when I showed up to the venue and saw them open the night, I knew my assumption was right.

First things first, the vocals on this album do not do Misha Camacho justice. Before anyone assumes, Misha is able to reach a vocal high that is often higher than any other people on this scene (Craig Owens, Vic Fuentes, etc.). Not only does he sing high notes like he never hit puberty, he screams as low a pitbull ready to gut a kid that wandered onto its territory. Critics are probably skeptical, but Misha can pull off any song on the album live perfectly. Now, it's not to say he only sings insanely high, he does have a wide singing vocal range as well. Kingdoms has a fantastic mix of all vocals and screams and it truly is a pleasure to listen to his voice.

I find it really hard to dislike any track on this album. "Meg Ryan Would Play You in the Movies" is a love ballad with strong lyrics like "Lets take our time / 'Cause I just know / That watching your romance is getting killer / That will leave us dead in the wake," backed up with insanely catchy riffs and backup vocals. "Don't Jump the Shark Before You Save the Whale" is also a standout, with Jonny Craig's vocals giving a really powerful performance, along with Misha's voice and guitars soloing here and there. Those wanting more hardcore songs with a good breakdown will be listening to "We Are Paramount," with all the double bass filled drumming and deep growls/screams that will sure to get you on your feet if you happen to like moshing. It's also a thing with bands these days, to put in a cutesy slow song. "AWOL" does that with nothing but a piano (and synth, but it actually doesn't detract from the song) and Misha blasting out some corny, but powerful lyrics like "I hope this goes well, cause for a long time / I will be living in hell away from you/And I ask myself 'is that something I can do?'."

Kingdoms does a phenomenal job taking out things in a scene that are just flat out terrible, and Broadway have created a first album that really shows why people listen to this kind of music. Broadway doesn't focus on breakdowns, and they don't focus on cute songs to get in a girl's pants. They focus on music, and making music that people can love, listen to over and over, and mosh to. I had this album since release date. I can easily say this album has been playing at least ten times a day, every day since then. I can't seem to get enough from Broadway, and even though they just released this album, I'm absolutely giddy to see what this Florida band that came from nowhere can come up with next.

Recommended If You Likepost-hardcore in general, Dance Gavin Dance, Chiodos, Pierce the Veil
This review is a user submitted review from lemontie. You can see all of lemontie's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
11:06 PM on 08/24/09
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Great band, great review, and very accurate RIYL.
I need to see these guys live.

Nicely done
11:52 PM on 08/24/09
lemontie
Games Round-up Creator
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great band, great review, and very accurate RIYL.
I need to see these guys live.

Nicely done
Seriously, if you get the chance, even if you don't like the other bands, they're almost worth it alone. TAF Nation Tour, I went for 3/6 of the bands and Broadway, when they opened, probably stole the show. So good live. Insanely nice people too.
11:55 PM on 08/24/09
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Seriously, if you get the chance, even if you don't like the other bands, they're almost worth it alone. TAF Nation Tour, I went for 3/6 of the bands and Broadway, when they opened, probably stole the show. So good live. Insanely nice people too.
Isn't I See Stars on that tour too?
Maybe I will go..
11:56 PM on 08/24/09
lemontie
Games Round-up Creator
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Isn't I See Stars on that tour too?
Maybe I will go..
Tour ended :( I went for ISS, Emarosa and Broadway. Those three alone would be worth the 15 dollars.
12:53 AM on 08/25/09
Iwudstilldie4u
UCSD's AP.net liaison
User Info.
Broadway is excllent; I wish they stood out a little more though. Vocals are excellent, definitely up to Cove Reber and beyond. I prefer the singing to the screaming, but then again I am a softy.
02:36 AM on 08/25/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The song with JC is insane.
03:59 AM on 08/25/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
Good review (your style has improved) but, again, try to keep the personal pronouns to a minimum unless you are using an anecdote
09:41 AM on 08/25/09
lemontie
Games Round-up Creator
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review (your style has improved) but, again, try to keep the personal pronouns to a minimum unless you are using an anecdote
I submitted two before you critiqued the Hello Fascination one, so this and another one were written before I could change anything.
05:53 PM on 08/25/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
I submitted two before you critiqued the Hello Fascination one, so this and another one were written before I could change anything.
I think you just naturally improved than. I had less problems with this review than with the Hello Fascination review. Still, the personal pronouns are as rampant as ever.
06:55 PM on 08/26/09
archerboy
User Info.
Wow: "After all, their Myspace only showed small signs of promise, with what sounded like a typical post-hardcore sounding song."

I had the exact same opinion, but your review now makes me eager to check them out. Good job!
06:45 PM on 08/27/09
Max_123
@HeyMaxSup
User Info.
glad that these guys are getting some recognition
known about them for quite a while, and had them stay over after their Denver show :)
they're really nice guys
09:53 AM on 08/29/09
symbiote28
Be Human
User Info.
fucking love this record. good review
12:45 PM on 08/29/09
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
User Info.
Fantastic review, fantastic debut. I too caught these guys on TAF Across the Nation and was blown away by their performance. They sold the album a few days early that night and my friend picked it up.
06:05 PM on 09/02/09
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News