Password

Album Review

Showbread - The Fear Of God Album Cover

Showbread - The Fear Of God

Reviewed by
Showbread - The Fear Of God
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records
Release Date: August 11, 2009
After last year’s double-concept Anorexia / Nervosa, Showbread returns to a more traditional album with The Fear Of God. The crisp collision of prominent bass and raw power chords decorated with the dancing keytar will both satisfy fans of their classic sound and fuel the critics’ notions that their stuff all sounds the same.

“Lost Connection With the Head” is quintessential Showbread, with a catchy verse pulled along by the bass until the synth comes in, and it’s totally energetic and enjoyable. So is “Let There Be Raw,” which is such a natural live song that it almost feels like it was blatantly written to be a crowd-pleaser (and yet it’s surprisingly enticing on the album, too). There’s almost too much of a dance feel at some points; “Regret Consumes Me” starts off sounding like something from Family Force 5 before bellowing into a synth-and-screaming-and-clashing-cymbals party reminiscent of something off Anorexia or Nervosa.

There is some variety here. “I Think I’m Going To See You” has a punk feel, and “Precursor” has a lite classic rock breakdown (think Guitar Hero) in its bridge. But for the most part, this is Showbread doing what Showbread does best, and that’s not at all a bad thing, although there are scattered hints of recycling.

“Shepherd, No Sheep” recalls “Sing Me to Sleep” or “The Sky (Alpha)”. But it feels stupid to even make such criticisms when you consider the point of the song, which has Josh Dies satirizing an apology to his fans and critics: "Forgive me children for I have sinned / I never asked you first / the way in which I wrote this song, the pen which scribed the verse…. / Being the connoisseur you are, with all you listen to / You know exactly what we’ve done wrong and what we need to do / Come to you before each note is ever written down / Find out exactly what you want before we make a sound…" Regardless of whether or not you feel the reaction is warranted, its execution is brilliant.

Throughout the disc, Josh Dies’s songwriting is expectedly solid and uncompromisingly sharp (it wouldn’t be a Showbread album without a song like “The Great Emasculation”), although there aren’t as many bizarre theological analogies. Dies treats us to his combination of thesaurus-laden verses (”Incredibly impressive and bereft of concern / Lobotomized and optimized and then I’m ready to burn“) and irresistibly chantable choruses (”I’ve got to get myself to forget myself“). The fairly epic title track tries to reconcile God’s goodness with the horrors of the world and finally praises him for his rescuing love (the theme as well as the feel of the climactic build are strikingly similar to Jars of Clay’s “Oh My God,” but I don’t know if this was influence or coincidence).

Though we ache, though we cry,
never break, never die
We sing of his great love again and again
And his love reigns forever, and forevermore
Forever and ever, Amen

This is Showbread, love it or hate it… they don’t really care.

Track Listing01. I'm Lost (1:12)
02. Nothing Matters Anymore (4:12)
03. Lost Connection With the Head (3:12) *
04. Regret Consumes Me (3:05)
05. Out Of My Mind (3:18)
06. Vehement (2:40)
07. The Great Emasculation (3:11)
08. Shepherd, No Sheep (4:07) *
09. Let There Be Raw (3:18)
10. I Think I'm Going To See You (3:52) *
11. Precursor (2:46)
12. The Fear Of God (6:20) *
13. Until We Meet Again (4:51)

* standout tracks

Recommended If You LikeNo Sir meets Age Of Reptiles

myspace.com/showbread
This review is a user submitted review from thepianominstre. You can see all of thepianominstre's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
10:03 PM on 09/05/09
gladnads
iGnoble Apathian
User Info.
oh wow, I apparently missed this coming out.
11:27 PM on 09/05/09
katiebaima
last.fm/user/humhallelujah
User Info.
this album is fantastic and it's always refreshing to see a band who is in it solely for the music
12:02 AM on 09/06/09
shika
User Info.
solid album
12:49 AM on 09/06/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
I really need to hear this. Good review.
03:02 AM on 09/06/09
Analog Rebellion
User Info.
So, what's the political/religious message going on here? The cover looks like it could be a Marilyn Manson album, but obviously they're trying to say something different...
03:32 AM on 09/06/09
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
So, what's the political/religious message going on here? The cover looks like it could be a Marilyn Manson album, but obviously they're trying to say something different...
i was wondering about this as well. you would expect this kind of artwork to come from a punk band, that wants to criticize state and church. but with showbread it's gotta be more complicated, as they're obviously super christian
03:33 AM on 09/06/09
brokenwings
User Info.
i loved age of reptiles btw but have since lost my interest in this band. i might give this record a chance though. i just have a feeling that the lyrics might turn me off too much
08:46 AM on 09/06/09
bluecrunchy
To shreds, you say.
User Info.
i was wondering about this as well. you would expect this kind of artwork to come from a punk band, that wants to criticize state and church. but with showbread it's gotta be more complicated, as they're obviously super christian
Just because you're Christian doesn't mean you can't criticize the church.
09:40 AM on 09/06/09
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.

The basic idea behind the cover art was to take the idea that people sometimes worry too much about what other people think about them in their faith. Such as putting too much stock into what a Pastor says about the way you're supposed to live your life. They basically want to say that, if you believe in God, focus on pleasing Him instead of pleasing other people is the basic message.
10:05 AM on 09/06/09
threepunchjim
the enemy is everywhere
User Info.
word
10:50 AM on 09/06/09
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
this is such a great record.
02:02 PM on 09/06/09
brokenwings
User Info.
i know, but do they?
02:46 PM on 09/06/09
Analog Rebellion
User Info.
The basic idea behind the cover art was to take the idea that people sometimes worry too much about what other people think about them in their faith. Such as putting too much stock into what a Pastor says about the way you're supposed to live your life. They basically want to say that, if you believe in God, focus on pleasing Him instead of pleasing other people is the basic message.
Hmmm..

Moderatism allows, or in the very least, gives an excuse for fundamentalism.
12:36 AM on 09/07/09
doppelganger
katy song
User Info.
i have to listen to this album again...hmm

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT