Password

Album Review
Demi Lovato - Don't Forget Album Cover

Demi Lovato - Don't Forget

Reviewed by
Demi Lovato - Don't Forget

Record Label: Hollywood Records

Release Date: September 23, 2008
Demi Lovato is only the most recent in a string of Disney "next-big-thing" starlets. Just like her predecessors (which include Hillary Duff, Raven Symone, and, more recently, Miley Cyrus) they've promoted not only through movies and television shows on Disney Channel but through music as well. However, on Don't Forget, Lovato strays from the bubblegum pop of her female predecessors in favor of the guitar-oriented power-pop usually performed by Disney cash cows the Jonas Brothers (which makes sense considering the trio helped co-write six of the album's eleven tracks). In the process, she constructs a solid album of infectious guitar hooks that has gained her the respect of everyone from Paramore's Hayley Williams to the organizers of the Bamboozle 2009 (who gave her a choice slot following Hollywood Undead on the Main Stage).

For the most part, the tracks on this album alternate between upbeat, catchy power-pop and slowed down power ballads. Choice upbeat cuts include "La La Land," "Get Back," and "Trainwreck" (a song for which Lovato claims sole songwriting responsibility). Incidentally, both "La La Land" and "Trainwreck" both contain a level of musical quirkiness not usually seen in Disney records. Choice power ballads are "On the Line" (a duet with the Jonas Brothers), "Don't Forget," and "Two World Collide." Lyrically, Lovato uses her powerful voice to sing about the average fare (boy troubles, how fame doesn't change her, and how she believes in herself), with little deviation. One key exception is "Trainwreck," which features Lovato taking on rather mature subject material for someone so young ("You won't go to the doctor / Who keeps calling you insane... You mean the world to me / Even though you might be crazy").

Overall, this is a very strong, mature debut from an artist so young. Lovato showcases a strong talent for songwriting (having helped pen eight of the eleven tracks). Though this album may not be regarded as a classic, it will always be seen as a favorite in both the Disney crowd and the crowd open-minded enough to look past her Disney backing.

Recommended If You LikeParamore's Riot!; The Rocket Summer's Do You Feel; Miley Cyrus / Hannah Montana; The Jonas Brothers

demilovato.com
myspace.com/demilovato
This review is a user submitted review from npmshah. You can see all of npmshah's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
10:25 PM on 09/04/09
Adrian Villagomez
The Sword the Anvil the Stone
User Info.
Nice job with this one, it seems like a fair take on the album. My only criticism: ease up on the parenthesis next time.

Now cue the foolish "ISN"T THIS ABSOLUTEPUNK.NET!??" comments.
10:39 AM on 09/05/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
You like the Jonas Brothers?
03:43 PM on 09/05/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
Niccceee
08:31 PM on 09/05/09
tyramail
wake up i'm calling you
User Info.
nice. i actually enjoy both of her albums, she has a great voice.
08:42 PM on 09/05/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
Nice job with this one, it seems like a fair take on the album. My only criticism: ease up on the parenthesis next time.

Now cue the foolish "ISN"T THIS ABSOLUTEPUNK.NET!??" comments.
thanks. I know i went a little overboard with the parenthesis. I definetely see ways to get rid of them now that i'm looking at this review after a few days.
08:42 PM on 09/05/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
nice. i actually enjoy both of her albums, she has a great voice.
I actually enjoyed her debut more than her second album. Though i agree both are very good discs.
08:43 PM on 09/05/09
tyramail
wake up i'm calling you
User Info.
not really she doesn't have a great voice? maybe i'm just tired, but i don't really understand this comment.
08:45 PM on 09/05/09
tyramail
wake up i'm calling you
User Info.
I actually enjoyed her debut more than her second album. Though i agree both are very good discs.
nevermind that last comment, i am assuming you were trying to quote the person who said jonas brothers haha. i like her debut better also, mainly because i think "don't forget" is one of my favorites by her.
08:46 PM on 09/05/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
You like the Jonas Brothers?
Not really. A few songs of theirs are guilty pleasures, but otherwise not that much. However, they are a perfect RIYL for Demi's music.
08:47 PM on 09/05/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
nevermind that last comment, i am assuming you were trying to quote the person who said jonas brothers haha. i like her debut better also, mainly because i think "don't forget" is one of my favorites by her.
Haha i was. I just fixed it though, so it should be alright. It definetely is an amazing song. Totally one of my favs
08:48 PM on 09/05/09
tyramail
wake up i'm calling you
User Info.
Haha i was. I just fixed it though, so it should be alright. It definetely is an amazing song. Totally one of my favs
mine too, it somehow never gets old for me either. i hear it everyday on the radio at my work haha.
08:50 PM on 09/05/09
Nourez
Here's to the Crazy Ones
User Info.
Your review is well written, though I completely disagree with it. Honestly, I've listened to the album, and it sounds like a jobros album with a female vocalist.
08:52 PM on 09/05/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Not really. A few songs of theirs are guilty pleasures, but otherwise not that much. However, they are a perfect RIYL for Demi's music.
Well I'm sorry for not liking either of them. They both suck. And you like Brokencyde.
08:54 PM on 09/05/09
Nourez
Here's to the Crazy Ones
User Info.
Well I'm sorry for not liking either of them. They both suck. And you like Brokencyde.
Hey, not need to get assy about it. I don't agree with his review either, but you shouldn't call out peoples reviews based on other bands they like.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos