AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Terra Terra Terra - Mind Like a Man, Soul Like a Child Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.19
Musicianship 8.13
Lyrics 8
Production 7
Creativity 7.94
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.63
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

Terra Terra Terra - Mind Like a Man, Soul Like a Child

Reviewed by: sheslostcontrol (08/22/09)
Terra Terra Terra - Mind Like a Man, Soul Like a Child
Record Label: Bonded Records
Release Date: August 11, 2009

As I sit, trying to think of a catchy opening line that's going to suck you in, writing about a band that I've never heard play before, who's just about to come on the stereo, I'm thinking one thing: Why did I want to write a review again? I'm on the band's Myspace, wondering if it's worth it to even listen to the whole CD, that's how lazy I'm feeling as I write this. It's weird being this honest, I can tell that my integrity won't go down well with some people, but honesty is always good. Right? I flick on a track, playing idly with my phone, still muttering to myself, when a preview of a certain song that's received close to 50,000 plays comes on. I'm still moaning to myself, whining, and muttering under my breath, Why did I volunteer again? Why did I decide to . . . but then Terra Terra Terra come on and my string of futile, trivial thoughts are melted away. I never expected this. The beat tears through the opening seconds, pounding drums, the guitars sizzle along the riffs, picking apart my heart, the words echo around my head, making me feel weightless and giddy, as if I could fly. It's not what I expected at all. I'm smiling like a maniac as the twenty-nine second preview ends, hastily clicking on my mouse to download the masters I've been sent, and listen to the full song.

As I listen to the masters I discover one main thing, that each and every track is brimming over with emotion and great instrumentation, showing why the Florida-quartet are on their second album already. The lead singer, Loren Taylor, has a perfect mix of singing, with much more emotion and delight than many lead singers of bands that I love. But the emotion never gets too heady, and he helps keep up steam right until the album closer, which is a great track, one of the more emotion-driven, and one of my favourites. The highlight for me is track three "Transmission Lost" which is the song that I previously referred to, and an obvious lead single. If you're going to only listen to one track, I'd tell you to check out this one. Track three, ten, and five are also stand outs, but the whole album is bursting at the seams with emotion, stomping beats and sing-alongs. This is a band that delivers, with a cool, unique flair that makes them stand out from the crowd. There's something about this band that words can't express. I will admit that not every track on the album is a complete winner, specifically the opener, a one and a half minutes static-y useless little track. Hey, had to throw a criticism in somewhere, didn't I?

I'm just astonished at how good this band is, and I'm being truly honest here. For some reason my preconceptions were that they wouldn't be. "Good" seems like such a puny, meaningless word to describe my utter amazement at how brilliant this band is, a band that seconds ago, I had no interest in hearing. Better words for Terra Terra Terra would be "original", "brilliant", and "refreshing". There's something about them that catches your heart and soul in a way that only truly good bands do. How many young, talented, enthusiastic bands are out there? But how many have it? How many give me the same feeling that I get when I hear Nirvana or The Clash? (Or whatever is the equivalent for your greatest bands ever.) The only thing soaring its way through my mind is how awesome it's going to be to see what this band becomes. With these catchy songs and a growing fan base, it can surely be nothing but a bright future for Terra Terra Terra.

myspace.com/terraterraterra

Recommended If You LikePoppy-Synths-and-Guitars; The Fray; Brand New; Snow Patrol

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8.
05:05 AM on 09/05/09
sheslostcontrol
Anarchist in The UK
User Info.
I don't really know for the RIYL part, anyone got any ideas?
04:18 PM on 09/06/09
roundkidrecords
User Info.
Id say RIYL Between The Trees, Lovedrug, Valencia, Copeland, Jonezetta, Manchester Orchestra, Search The City, Sullivan, The Working Title, Brand New, Pilot Speed, snow patrol
05:28 AM on 09/07/09
flyingmonkey711
User Info.
Well, this just made my day........
05:05 PM on 09/08/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow, you're 14?

I was just about to say that although the content of the review is good, it's unstructured...

I'm impressed though, considering! Well done
04:14 PM on 09/09/09
sheslostcontrol
Anarchist in The UK
User Info.
Wow, you're 14?

I was just about to say that although the content of the review is good, it's unstructured...

I'm impressed though, considering! Well done
Er, yeah, I'm 14 (:

Yeah, I'm still learning, and it was done in about five minutes, seeing as I was on a deadline that I very nearly didn't meet. I don't really write reviews all that often, it's not what I want to do or anything, it's more for fun and for practise.

Thanks! I'm glad some people like it!
04:15 PM on 09/09/09
sheslostcontrol
Anarchist in The UK
User Info.
Well, this just made my day........
Wow, thanks! It's really awesome that you like it! (:
01:47 AM on 12/03/09
Simo FS
Fightstar / Charlie
User Info.
You're an extremely talented writer. Fantastic!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests