AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Settings - Platinum Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 5.25
Production 7
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 65%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.13
Musicianship 7.38
Lyrics 4.38
Production 6.88
Creativity 3.38
Lasting Value 3.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.38
Average: 54%
Inside AP.net

Settings - Platinum

Reviewed by: npmshah (08/22/09)
Settings - Platinum

Record Label: Uppercut

Release Date: August 29, 2009

Settings has long been one of those bands that confuses many. Despite their usually solid music (which can be described as an electronic-infused pop-punk sound), impressive achievements (which include being featured on both MTV and MTV2, and choice slots on both the Vans Warped Tour and at Bamboozle Right), and massive hype train they still remain unsigned. With the release of this EP, entitled Platinum, the band finds themselves a little overconfident, a mistake which could cost them their hype train.

As a follow up to two excellent EPs (2007's Elusion and 2008's Elusion Extended), Platinum has some big footsteps to follow in. Unfortunately, when put in their shadow, it doesn't add up to much. Despite having a strong opening in "Use You" (which features a fist pumping guitar part, a catchy chorus, and subtly textured underlying electronics that make it, arguably, one of the best songs Settings has written to date), the EP begins to disappoint with "Do It Again." With a boring intro and uninspiring verses, the song's only saving grace is its unbelievably massive, addicting chorus. "Kill the Urge," despite better verses, has its impact fall a little flat when it becomes clear that its chorus borrows (both musically and lyrically) from the Elusion Extended track "Find Your Place." "No Mystery" features bass work that vocalist Donny Evan's voice works beautifully over in the verses, before coming to prominence in the chorus with the backing of the entire band. As the song evolves into more traditional pop-punk fare, it keeps its punch, and stays a solid song throughout. "Just a Lie" opens with a great synth line, and carries a darker, heavier tone not seen earlier in the band's career. Lyrically, it is among their darkest material to date ("What's the point of standing still? Waiting wounded for the kill"), and (ironically) defines itself as the light of hope for the band's future after a largely disappointing effort.

Overall, this EP is a disappointment. Though it could be an average effort from a less talented act, the past gives testament to the fact that this band merely reach their potential on this effort. Despite some shining gems (namely, "Use You" and "Just a Lie"), the EP mainly falls flat. Though the future could potentially still be bright for Settings, their light won't be able to burn much longer if they keep on putting out half-hearted EPs like this one.

Note: The track listing provided in the review is based upon the disc's hard copy; the iTunes listing may vary.

Track Listing01. Use You
02. Do It Again
03. Kill The Urge
04. No Mystery
05. Just a Lie

Recommended If You Likeolder Linkin Park-meets-Innerpartysystem; The Bigger Lights

myspace.com/settingsband

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
10:41 AM on 09/05/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
No!!!!
08:40 PM on 09/05/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
No to what? the RIYL, the score, or just the review in general?
08:45 PM on 09/05/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
No to what? the RIYL, the score, or just the review in general?
Your reviews today... I despise them because somebody doesn't like the music I do!!!1 STOP THE PRESSES! Oh and I heard you like a few songs form Brokencyde.
09:08 PM on 09/05/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
Your reviews today... I despise them because somebody doesn't like the music I do!!!1 STOP THE PRESSES! Oh and I heard you like a few songs form Brokencyde.
please tell me you're kidding. and i do. What's it to ya?
09:13 PM on 09/05/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
I am. And it's horrible music. That's what it is to me...
09:13 PM on 09/05/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Let's mend this into one review or the other, I don't feel like going to two different threads for the same convo.
09:14 PM on 09/05/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
And while I'm posting a lot, you should check out and comment all 4! of my reviews.
09:30 PM on 09/05/09
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Definite fan of Settings, but not a fan of this here EP.
10:43 PM on 09/05/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
I am. And it's horrible music. That's what it is to me...
i agree it's bad music. I have no idea what i enjoy in those songs, other than the fact that i enjoy them.
10:47 PM on 09/05/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
Definite fan of Settings, but not a fan of this here EP.
I didn't like it AT ALL in the beginning, but even the songs i didn't enjoy grew on me.
09:49 AM on 09/30/09
Kaku
Listener of the Year
User Info.
Yeah, he really sounds like Chester. Thats a plus I think. ;)

This EP isn't that bad, but it isn't really good neither. Maybe it will grow a bit with time. Still I think they are capable of writing really good music.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums