AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Alexisonfire - Alexisonfire Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.75
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9.17
Lyrics 8.33
Production 8.42
Creativity 8.92
Lasting Value 8.83
Reviewer Tilt 8.83
Average: 87%
Inside AP.net

Alexisonfire - Alexisonfire

Reviewed by: <@Drawde> (08/23/09)
Alexisonfire - Alexisonfire
Record Label: Equal Vision
Release Date: September 9th, 2002

Ahh, Alexisonfire, a band that are considered to amongst the best in this particular type of music, known as "Screamo." While several bands have used this scene's popularity to enhance their own careers, Alexisonfire have always been undeniably appealing, in both talent and attitude. So, when sitting down to write a review of this, arguably the album with some of the best work, It's hard to find reasons to dislike them.

This album rolls up an excellent combination of growls mixed with clean vocals that have an excellent rough edge to them. While the album does sound very raw, even gritty at times, it has a great feeling that each track is nigh-on unskippable for a fan of this sort of music.

Leading us into the album is “.44 Caliber Love Letter,” a song that has a two minute intro with screeching guitars, which immediately draw the listener in. When Pettit finally starts the song off in earnest with his screams, it hits hard. At first listen, it will sound incomprehensible to some, but even the most disinterested will eventually be forced to admit that this band has real talent. When Dallas Green chips in with his own vocals, it compliments Pettit excellently, and shows just how powerful the combination of scream/clean vocals can be if used right.

This album has a mixture of slow andfast parts, and each one will keep you hooked until the very end. Through such standout tracks as “A Dagger Through The Heart of St. Angeles” and “Polaroids of Polar Bears,” this album is a roller coaster of heavy emotions, fast screams, and even slow melodies that will make you listen to it for days. The overall best track, in my opinion, has to be “Pulmonary Archery.” In an album of standout tracks, it's hard to choose a best, but this one is a gem, which ends the album on a very good note. The guitar work is outstanding, showcasing just how much talent this band has to offer, with melodies and riffs that will keep you rocking for a good time to come. While at times the tracks may seem interchangeable (and they can), it is overall a standout album in this music scene, and will be a blueprint for bands to follow for years to come. Whether this is a good thing is up for debate.

Recommended If You LikeFrom Autumn To Ashes, "Screamo" music

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17.
11:26 PM on 09/05/09
exploration #4
Dude
User Info.
Not screamo.
12:02 AM on 09/06/09
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
This, but it's still a bloody fantastic album.
12:13 AM on 09/06/09
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
What is with all these absurdly high ratings lately? The Day to Remember album and Your favorite weapon both getting into the 90s and the RX Bandits album getting a perfect score, and now this?

EDIT: Not to mention Noah Fawkes review of the new TBS album.
02:00 AM on 09/06/09
Analog Rebellion
User Info.
Good album, but not a 91, in my opinion. Watch Out!, on the other hand, I would give that album 2 million. I fucking love that record.
05:36 AM on 09/06/09
dancerazdance
http://youarerocksolid.tumblr.co m/
User Info.
such an amazing album.
05:52 AM on 09/06/09
<@Drawde>
Waffleman Extraordinaire
User Info.
I'm not bothered by what genre it is, but screamo seems to fit the mark. Whatever it is, I love it. Watch Out! is great, but to me this one just sounds right. Alexisonfire haven't made a bad album yet though.
12:15 PM on 09/06/09
xjulianx89
Play that tune
User Info.
Good album, but not a 91, in my opinion. Watch Out!, on the other hand, I would give that album 2 million. I fucking love that record.
This. I've spun that record at least two hundred times..
03:36 PM on 09/06/09
nickthehick2
King of France
User Info.
Not screamo
01:32 PM on 09/12/09
Jookl
haaaaaaaaaaaa!
User Info.
What is with all these absurdly high ratings lately? The Day to Remember album and Your favorite weapon both getting into the 90s and the RX Bandits album getting a perfect score, and now this?

I'm sorry but in my opinion, RX Bandits deserve a perfect score with their last album, their album is just sick!

On this one, I agree with you too that this is kinda overrated
07:24 PM on 09/12/09
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
I'm sorry but in my opinion, RX Bandits deserve a perfect score with their last album, their album is just sick!

On this one, I agree with you too that this is kinda overrated
There is no such thing as a perfect album.
08:17 PM on 09/12/09
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
Why doing a review like five years after the release?
06:29 AM on 09/14/09
Handraa
Bestfriend means I pull the trigger
User Info.
There is no such thing as a perfect album.
Agreed.
Not even brokencyde can do that, and we know that band is great.
08:58 PM on 09/14/09
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
Agreed.
Not even brokencyde can do that, and we know that band is great.
I'm sorry, but that just wasn't funny.
07:53 AM on 09/15/09
Handraa
Bestfriend means I pull the trigger
User Info.
I'm sorry, but that just wasn't funny.
Yeah, shits weak.
Fail on my part.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE