AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Conditions - 08.23.09

Interviewed by
Conditions - 08.23.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Conditions - (Alex, guitar/vocals) [myspace] [ap.net profile]

1. How did you get your band name?
It comes from a quote by the composer Nadia Boulanger and the quote is "the essential conditions of everything you do must be choice, love, and passion," so we just took Conditions out of that.

2. How did this band get started?
All of us had played in bands around our hometown of Richmond, VA that had played together, so once all of those fell apart or we left each one, we decided to come together and start something fresh.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
All of us definitely have different favorite bands and major influences, but I think some that we can all agree on are Muse, Thrice, Blink 182, The Killers, Finch, Radiohead, and the Foo Fighters. Occassionally they'll be some Nickelback or Seether blasting the speakers in our van....no lie haha.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
This kind of reverts back to the last question. I know if everyone in the band had their one choice it would be a ridiculous bill. My choice would definitely be Thrice. I'll go ahead and take an educated guess at what I think the others would say: Brandon - Nine Inch Nails. Jason - Blink 182. Riley - Metric. Ryan - Alexisonfire.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I would be a HUGE labrador so I could be my dog Mila's best friend haha. She is a giant white lab that we actually picked up as a puppy on tour last year in North Carolina and she's been with me every since then.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
In a scene that is SO over-saturated with autotune, it's hard to find an honest band that legitimately sounds the same live as they do on recording without resorting to live autotune racks or playing with a ton of backing tracks. We strive to be absolutely perfect in our live performance with nothing more than our instruments and our own voices, and I hope that's what sets us apart. I feel like we have something to say, not just sing about dancing and girls, and we hope there's still people out there that care about a real message in real music.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I like a lot of the lead lines that Jason comes up with, and I've received countless messages from fans asking for guitar tabs about our song "Keeping Pace With Planes." That one's got a few really cool riffs, but I don't know how hard they would be on those games. I can play all of it but I suck at that game! It's harder than real guitar haha.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I would thank my parents for being the most supportive people on the earth. Putting off college to give music a shot is definitely not very comforting to many parents ears, but my mom and dad have been behind me for everything.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I just want everyone to be REAL. I see so many bands that just pop out of nowhere and become successful for 15 minutes and then you never hear from then again while there are AWESOME bands with real talent working their butts off for $100 a night that you will probably never see in the spotlight. It's heartbreaking.

10. Memorable tour experience?
There have definitely some really funny experiences along the way, but I think my most memorable experience as a whole was touring the UK with Paramore and New Found Glory. That was an absolute whirlwind and crazy to believe that a small, unsigned band like us could play which giant bands like them in front of 5,000 people. Not to mention playing with NFG in itself, a band that influenced me greatly growing up and learning guitar. It was an amazing experience.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's probably my most used bookmark right behind my email. I check in every day to see what is going on with bands and labels and who's doing what. It's the most amazing source to keep up with your favorite bands, discover new ones, and read all the shit talking haha.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I think most bands always say that something new is their favorite to play which is totally understandable, so I'm gonna go ahead and say mine is one of our most brand new songs called "Better Life." We just debuted it at a showcase in NYC, and we're demoing it right now, and I'm so in love with it.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
GREECE! I have the pleasure of being half greek thanks to my mother who was born there. It's the most beautiful place on earth.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
(in chronological order) MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Nirvana, The Offspring, Green Day, Blink 182

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I would be able to teleport. Most people say flying, and as cool as that would be, teleporting is wayyy faster.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Not at all. We are very grateful for the achievements that we've made so far but I feel like we have so much further to go and hope that there's a lot more we can accomplish and experience in the future.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I played tuba for like 2 weeks in middle school haha.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
I think mine would actually be Easter. I come from a Greek Orthodox family and Easter is a huge holiday for us. And normally it's sweet to eat something I had given up for 40 days, and especially roast a lamb!

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Hang out with my dog Mila, go to the gym, play sports and/or activities, drink beer with my friends...wait. I just realized how "bro" I really am...

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I'm a really good parallel parker haha. I'm always the one who has to back up the van and park in tight spots.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
08:04 PM on 08/24/09
Iwudstilldie4u
UCSD's AP.net liaison
User Info.
Loved the interview. Conditions needs to get signed an release a full-length.
04:39 PM on 08/26/09
saveferris
Fine, I tried
User Info.
Loved the interview. Conditions needs to get signed an release a full-length.
this
04:47 PM on 08/26/09
PlanetDahmz
User Info.
Saw em on Warped Tour, they are so tight live and awesome dudes. And I agree w/ the first two posters also haha.
05:07 PM on 08/26/09
summerinb
User Info.
awesomee. especially number 6. way to go alex.

these guys need signed stat.
05:41 PM on 08/26/09
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
Good interview. I like their song "Keeping Pace With Planes" Would definitely like to hear a full length from them.
05:53 PM on 08/26/09
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
cool dude and great band.

"I feel like we have something to say, not just sing about dancing and girls, and we hope there's still people out there that care about a real message in real music."

i liked this part the most. they really have good lyrics.
05:59 PM on 08/26/09
stopthebus220
User Info.
"we hope there's still people out there that care about a real message in real music"

i loved that. i like this band.
06:20 PM on 08/26/09
xinthisdimlight
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i respect what he said in number 6.
06:25 PM on 08/26/09
3eb23
The World Is Yours
User Info.
so glad AP is giving them exposure on here
06:44 PM on 08/26/09
geebee889
Registered Goober
User Info.
This is the first of these interviews that I've read that I actually like. I respect this guy so much, especially for his answer on number 6.
07:37 PM on 08/26/09
kaduck2007
User Info.
Love these guys. Been a fan since I heard about them after the Race The Sun breakup. Really great music.
08:10 PM on 08/26/09
foofiter02
Tom/Burn The Ballroom
User Info.
Love these guys. Been a fan since I heard about them after the Race The Sun breakup. Really great music.
I heart Race The Sun. R.I.P.
08:55 PM on 08/26/09
meganonthetrain
We All Need A Reason To Believe
User Info.
I've been a fan since I picked up their EP on Warped.
I really liked their answers, good interview!
08:58 PM on 08/26/09
ChadMaxey
tpf
User Info.
damn i love me some Conditions

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT