AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Downtown Fiction, The - The Downtown Fiction Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7
Production 7.5
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Downtown Fiction, The - The Downtown Fiction

Reviewed by: foolishdrew (08/24/09)
The Downtown Fiction - The Downtown Fiction
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: March 3, 2009

At this day and age, one rarely comes across a genuinely talented pop-punk band. Most recent bands are just catchy instead of actually exhibiting any real talent or creativity. However, every once in a while, a breath of fresh air (i.e. a talented band) appears out of the blue and manages to distinguish themselves from all the rest. Surprisingly unsigned, The Downtown Fiction appear to fit more into the latter category.

This EP opens up with "Your Voice," a catchy, radio-friendly song, not really the best way for this EP to start. Although it's fun, it seems determined to blend in with the thousands of other pop punk songs out there. The album then explodes into the more than impressive "Is Anybody Out There?" This is a perfect example of what these boys can really do. It's catchy, it's creative, and the lyrics are great. The best part? It's not the only promising song on this EP.

Next comes the significantly more upbeat "Hold My Breath." Much like, "Your Voice," this is a very fun song, yet lacks the spark of "Is Anybody Out There?"

"When You're Around" is virtually the same as "Hold My Breath" with it's upbeat melodies and soaring vocals, yet still lacks the spark the listener learned to adore earlier. The EP then goes on to "No Typical Thursday Night" which brings back most of what was missing, while still maintaining the upbeat nature of the last two songs. Along with great vocals from Cameron Leahy, Eric Jones' drum-playing really stands out on this song.

Finally, the EP comes to a close with the standout track "Living Proof." Honestly, this is one of the best endings to any album/EP that I've ever heard in my life. While Cameron sings "Get up, Get up, Get up, it's deep inside of you," I swear goosebumps creep up my back. To put it simply, this song more than makes up for the lack of creativity found on some of these songs.

All in all, this is a rather impressive debut from a band that isn't even on a label. While songs like "Is Anybody Out There?" and "Living Proof" take center stage, the other songs provide an excellent supporting cast that still entertain the audience. With another solid release, Fueled By Ramen will be begging to have these boys in no time.

Recommended If You Like The Academy Is...; All Time Low; Boys Like Girls; Hit The Lights; Relient K; Sing It Loud; The Starting Line; Valencia; We The Kings.

Track Listing 1) Your Voice
2) Is Anybody Out There?*
3) Hold Your Breath
4) When You're Around
5) No Typical Thursday Night
6) Living Proof*

*Significant Tracks

http://www.myspace.com/TheDowntownFiction

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
08:38 PM on 09/05/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
wow. nice review overall. Totally love this band.
09:24 AM on 09/12/09
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
I have "Living Proof" and "Is Anybody Out There" and those are both really good tracks. Especially "Living Proof" The rest of the EP didn't impress me. Good review.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums