AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Patent Pending - Save Each Other Whales... Album Cover

The Patent Pending - Save Each Other Whales...

Reviewed by
Patent Pending - Save Each Other, The Whales Are Doing Fine
Release Date: June 6, 2006
Record Label: We Put Out Records

Before you get too far into this review, I should offer you a warning. Patent Pending bring the party with Save Each Other, The Whales Are Doing Fine, and if that makes you uncomfortable, take a step back and go geek out to The Mars Volta or something. There, now let us get down to business. The band has developed quite a following in the Long Island scene for their ska-punk tunes and penchant for not taking themselves seriously. Don’t believe me? Look no further than the middle of the album for “Cheer Up, Emo Kid.” A wandering bassline and the blazing guitar riff make this song an absolute blast as they poke fun somewhere along the lines of a hornless version of The Aquabats.

Frankly, this album is a well-needed dose of fun, but it is best described as musical junk food. Just like those generic-brand Cheetos you bought at the store last night around midnight, Patent Pending tastes great but doesn’t fill you up. I have listened to this album a number of times straight through, and it is definitely doable, but there are four or five songs that just fall flat. Following the ballsy power chords and sing-along melodies of “This Can’t Happen Again,” the drawn-out ambition of “Decemberween” fails to live up to the hype. The anguished wails of lead vocalist Michael Pending are eclipsed only by the tortured (and at the same time, wholly lame) screaming of Joe Pending. Patent Pending is not a screamo band, and so when they do that, the song ends up sounding like an American Idol outtake.

“Lights Out In Mississippi” sounds like a over-starched punk track, and while it’s catchy, doesn’t display any sort of instrumental knack or songwriting prowess, which is quite unfortunate. I can’t stand “Demo for Dayna,” to tell you the truth, simply because of the vocals. However, it’s the last six tracks that really help Patent Pending try to right the sinking ship. The band drops some catchy songs on the listener, although they’re barely above cliché. “The L-Town Shakedown” is guaranteed to make you grin a little bit with its mostly-acoustic tale of woe. And to close the album, we have “The June Spirit,” one of the more melodic songs on Save Each Other, the Whales Are Doing Fine.

I came away from this album fairly disappointed in Patent Pending. They had a handful of bright spots on this CD, but the negatives piled up against them. If you’re willing to set aside intelligent music for a cheap thrill (and I know we all have our guilty pleasures), then Patent Pending is right up your alley; I guarantee you’ll keep the CD on repeat for hours. But if you like something a little less cliché-ridden, you should pass on Save Each Other, The Whales Are Doing Fine.

Buy Patent Pending's Save Each Other, The Whales Are Doing Fine on iTunes

Track List01. Los Angeles
02. This Can't Happen Again
03. Decemberween
04. Lights Out in Mississippi
05. Demo For Dayna
06. Cheer Up, Emo Kid
07. Old and Out of Tune
08. Samantha the Great
09. Sleep Well, My Angel
10. The Safety of Sleeping In
11. The L-Town Shakedown
12. The June Spirit
This review is a user submitted review from Tony Pascarella. You can see all of Tony Pascarella's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
01:07 PM on 04/12/06
bitpom666
yeahman
User Info.
Man oh man, I freakin love this band and cant wait for a copy of the record.
01:08 PM on 04/12/06
MattyBeatz
is Dayman, fighter of the Nightman
User Info.
I've seen them live a few times. Tons of fun! Great energy and fun to dance along to. And trust me when I tell you, this man don't normally dance.
01:13 PM on 04/12/06
Kerouac
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I used to LOVE the whole skate punk/ska scene. However, then I moved to the NYC area and became a jaded prick. Now, I am saved and Patent Pending has saved me. I DID NOT expect to like these guys when I happened to see em live during CMJ and it was the most fun that I've had in a long time. Let go of your inhibitions and allow yourself to love this band. It will happen.
01:19 PM on 04/12/06
CountMeOut923
Registered Member
User Info.
5 old songs on this album!!! Cheer up emo kid is easily5 years old. I'm pretty surprised about this considering I've listened to these guys while growing up on the island....their live show is great so I hope this cd doesn't disappoint...
01:22 PM on 04/12/06
loboz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This band is amazingly fun live! I saw them play a bunch of new stuff and it was AWESOME. I can't wait to check out the new album!
01:30 PM on 04/12/06
MattyBeatz
is Dayman, fighter of the Nightman
User Info.
Originally Posted by Kerouac
I DID NOT expect to like these guys when I happened to see em live during CMJ and it was the most fun that I've had in a long time.

And they broke you at SXSW.
01:30 PM on 04/12/06
FreeWilyMo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I had the privelege of seeing these guys a couple months ago and they're sick live. Most fun I ever had at a show. I can't find any of their old stuff so I'm definitely looking forward to the new album.
01:33 PM on 04/12/06
MichelleKnucks
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this band has the best live show i have ever seen. AND they have a teenage mutant ninja turtle cabinet. its awesome!
01:38 PM on 04/12/06
Becca
Born to Run
User Info.
I saw them with a wilhelm scream and say anything a few weeks ago. Definetly not what I was expecting, but quite fun nonetheless.
02:39 PM on 04/12/06
Salomonbz90
Public Sphere>Special Interest
User Info.
way to many 1st time posters in here..conspiracy?

i think so.
02:59 PM on 04/12/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Only if the ladies post nudes will I believe it's just a coincidence. :D
03:26 PM on 04/12/06
katemix
Heart Means Everything.
User Info.
Hey, if it's Patent Pending, I love it.
They're the nicest guys you'll ever meet.
I've met people who're too quick to judge them just by their sound
and how they look from afar.

Good luck and congrads guys<3
04:32 PM on 04/12/06
daysoca
User Info.
I just heard about a someone at absolutepunk reviewing Patent Pending's new cd. Then i read the review...quite disapointed with the reviewer's job. What he/she failed to mention was that Patent Pending is something unique, unlike most of the repeat copycat bands out there. They are unlike any band I have seen or heard perform. Without ever having heard them before you will likely get sucked into their live show.

To the reviewer: Maybe you should try and give them credit for doing their own thing and not writing the "cliche" songs every other band seems to have out there. ;)
07:14 PM on 04/12/06
ryheeles
I Am Groot
User Info.
i can never sit through a patent pending cd. i just get so bored

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT