AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Mew - No More Stories... Album Cover

Mew - No More Stories...

Reviewed by
MewNo More Stories Are Told Today I'm Sorry They Washed Away No More Stories The World Is Grey I'm Tired Let's Wash Away
Release Date: August 25, 2009
Record Label: Sony BMG
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
While gazing at the album art for Mew’s latest album, No More Stories Are Told Today I'm Sorry They Washed Away No More Stories The World Is Grey I'm Tired Let's Wash Away, I noticed all the layers and different shapes, colors, and items on it. It dawned on me that this cover was a perfect representation of the Danish trio’s newest collection of songs. Throughout the fifteen-track adventure, listeners will experience a wide array of emotion, vibes, and genres; and with each subsequent listen, you’ll discover something new with your ears. After multiple listens, it’s clear that Mew has created the most delicious ear candy of 2009.

Wonderfully layered and crisp, No More Stories… is a genre-defying album that utilizes many different tempos, formulas, and imagery to create a beautiful cornucopia of music. Whether they are hiding a song within a song (opener “New Terrain,” when played backwards reveals another song, titled “Nervous”) or playing five songs within a song (as on the beautifully composed “Cartoons and Macramé Wounds,” a multi-layered song that puts you in a dream-like trance), Mew is engulfing and embracing the listener with each note.

Vocalist Jonas Bjerre stated that, despite the bleak title, No More Stories… would be “happier, dancier, and more upbeat” than their 2005 album, the dark And the Glass Handed Kites. Musically, the album is definitely more vibrant than its predecessor. The breezy, island-tinged “Hawaii” begins with a lightweight verse that bursts into a rousing clashing of cymbals from drummer Silas Utke Graae Jørgensen, while the chorus to “Repeaterbeater” is fantastic, as Bjerre’s voice pierces through the dark dance beat.

Mew slow it down a bit with the majestic “Silas the Magic Car.” Backed by a steady drumbeat while calming tones and keys linger and drift throughout, giving the track a very smooth and relaxing flow. “Tricks of the Trade” sounds like something out of the Kid A/Amnesiac era of Radiohead, as mechanical and precise tones give just the right amount of contrast to Bjerre’s voice.

What really makes No Mores Stories… wonderful are all the ups and downs woven into each track. This album is full of beautiful crescendos and graceful song outros. Mew has created yet another truly unique album to place into their prestigious discography. Treat your ears to the intricate and intelligent sounds of No More Stories Are Told Today I'm Sorry They Washed Away No More Stories The World Is Grey I'm Tired Let's Wash Away, for this trio has yet to grow tired of one-upping the majority of music out today.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. New Terrain
2. Introducing Palace Players
3. Beach
4. Repeaterbeater
5. Intermezzo 1
6. Silas the Magic Car
7. Cartoons and Macramé Wounds
8. Hawaii Dream
9. Hawaii
10. Vaccine
11. Tricks of the Trade
12. Intermezzo 2
13. Sometimes Life Isn’t Easy
14. Reprise
Produced by: Rich Costey

Mew is:
Jonas Bjerre – vocals
Bo Madsen – guitar
Silas Utke Graae Jørgensen

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 85
12:04 AM on 08/26/09
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
After writing reviews for Cobra Starship and Breathe Carolina, it felt nice to write a review over some good (and real) music. This album has slowly yet surely climbed to the top of my best of list thus far, and it's such a fantastic album.
12:12 AM on 08/26/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Sweet album. Nice review.
12:17 AM on 08/26/09
Noah Fawkes
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Amazing review, Drew. I love Mew and I'm really thinking about buying this record. And I fully support your "most delicious ear candy" statement.
01:34 AM on 08/26/09
Romancebled
Sleep underground tonight...
User Info.
this review is spot on. one of my favorite albums of the year.
02:33 AM on 08/26/09
Piss
Oh Noes!
User Info.
Riyl?
02:34 AM on 08/26/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Album is phenomenal.
04:40 AM on 08/26/09
marbles17
Swim For Your Life
User Info.
completely agree with this review, I was iffy at first when I started listening, but it turned into an amazing piece of music
05:54 AM on 08/26/09
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
great album. the more I listen to it, I know its easily top 5 for me his year
06:42 AM on 08/26/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I was wondering about that too.
07:25 AM on 08/26/09
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
honestly, thats one of the best things about them is that they are hard to find other bands that you can easily compare them to (something that is rare today).

If I had to try, they have a lot of shoegaze and dream pop elements in their older material which leads me to bands like my bloody valentine or something like amusement parks on fire. Some of the vocal hooks might intrigue people who think that Animal Collective has genious vocal melodies (Mew trumps them easily imo). Although they don't ever sound that similar, fans of radiohead would probably enjoy something like this as well.

This album is basically perfectly executed pop music that actually has impressive, technical musicianship.

In Summary?

RIYL: Music
09:06 AM on 08/26/09
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
honestly, thats one of the best things about them is that they are hard to find other bands that you can easily compare them to (something that is rare today).

If I had to try, they have a lot of shoegaze and dream pop elements in their older material which leads me to bands like my bloody valentine or something like amusement parks on fire. Some of the vocal hooks might intrigue people who think that Animal Collective has genious vocal melodies (Mew trumps them easily imo). Although they don't ever sound that similar, fans of radiohead would probably enjoy something like this as well.

This album is basically perfectly executed pop music that actually has impressive, technical musicianship.

In Summary?

RIYL: Music
or as the band likes to say "the world's only indie stadium band" haha
09:11 AM on 08/26/09
circasurviver
Sammy Davis Jesus
User Info.
I can't wait to hear this live. They put on such an amazing show. Great review.
09:11 AM on 08/26/09
kemichels
I drove through ghosts to get here.
User Info.
It's so hard to do this for this band. They are so wonderful though. Great review, Drew.
09:24 AM on 08/26/09
AnEraWeEmbrace
That is alright, I suppose.
User Info.
Good review. I think this is my favourite album of 2009 so far. I had no idea the first track could be played backwards though, I'm gonna try that out right now.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos