AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Isosceles Project, The - Oblivion's Candle Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics N/A
Production 6
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 3.75
Final Verdict: 64%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Isosceles Project, The - Oblivion's Candle

Reviewed by: flks511 (08/26/09)
The Isosceles Project - Oblivion's Candle
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: 2009

For a variety of reasons, I wasn't looking forward to reviewing this CD. One reason is the amount of times I would have to spell the word "Isosceles." Another was the little amount of time I had to be able to sit down at the computer and review it. But mostly it was because I really didn't feel like putting effort into reviewing a CD I really don't like.

It's not that the Toronto extreme prog metal band's debut release Oblivion's Candle is a bad album, technically. Anyone could argue that the three band members are extremely talented and technically sound on their instruments. I agree completely, but for a band that boasts their sound as "genre-smashing," "genuinely artistic and creative" and that "You've never seen or heard anything like The Isosceles Project," the EP is, to say the least, disappointing.

With song lengths well exceeding ten minutes, you would expect a smooth progression in sound, but no. The Isosceles Project like to dwell on the same idea for a lengthy period of time. Album opener "Doppleganger" is fourteen minutes long, which leaves plenty of room for creativity, but still, the entire first half of the song is built around the same riff. The songs are surprisingly repetitive and predictable for a band that claims to be as innovative as they do, and the overall atmosphere of the album is really dull, to say the least. There are few high energy moments, and while that may be mostly due to the production, it still takes away from fully enjoying the album.

Still, I must give praise to the band for their astounding musicianship. Guitarist Eric Euler is an amazing guitarist, and the rhythm section of the band is ridiculously good as well. But the overall repetitiveness of the album keeps me from appreciating how truly talented the band is. Hopefully their sophomore effort will be a big step up from this.

Recommended If You Likeextreme metal; background music; extreme metal that would be great as background music

www.myspace.com/theisoscelesproject

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5.
07:20 PM on 09/07/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
I thought I would love this. I fell asleep instead.
03:15 PM on 09/08/09
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
I thought I would love this. I fell asleep instead.
I know exactly what you mean.
03:20 PM on 09/08/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
I know exactly what you mean.
No, I'm being serious. After Doppleganger I fell asleep. I wish they at least had a vocalist to liven things up.... not that instrumental bands are bad, but boring ones are only good for the z's.
04:50 PM on 09/11/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
probably the lamest band name i've ever seen
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music