Password

Album Review

Oh, Sleeper - Son of the Morning Album Cover

Oh, Sleeper - Son of the Morning

Reviewed by
Oh, SleeperSon of the Morning
Release Date: August 25, 2009
Record Label: Solid State
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
No matter who you are, what you do, or what you believe, the battle of good vs. evil is always present. It’s present in the people we associate with, the things we say, and the things we do. It’s basically the prevailing theme of life, as we know it. Oh, Sleeper realizes this, and with their second album on Solid State, they’ve taken this theme and conceptualized it into Son of the Morning. The ten tracks tell the story of the final battle between God and Satan.

Regardless of what you think towards religion, the topic of God vs. the devil will always grab people’s attention. Combine that with the punishing music Oh, Sleeper produces, and you have another winner on the Solid State roster. The opening title track begins the brouhaha with vocalist Micah Kinard’s howl as guitarists Shane Blay and James Erwin use dueling riffs to pace the track.

Musically, the band has taken their game to the next level, adding more layering and bringing in some mid-tempo stuff a la Thrice. They’re just not beating you over the head with straight up metalcore the whole time. “The New Breed” is carried by the call and return of clean and screamed vocals, while “In All Honesty” begins with the beautiful voice of former As Cities Burn vocalst Cody Bonnette. The most obvious culprit is “Reveries of Flight,” as it clearly channels Thrice (Air specifically). Paced by sparse key notes and a distant drum beat from Matt Davis, the song is displays the change of pace from Oh, Sleeper.

What really makes the concept come to life is the composition of each track. You can really hear the conflict and clashing within, thanks to how the tracks are structured. “Breathing Blood” and “World Without A Sun” are probably two of the heaviest tracks, as “World Without A Sun” features the best riffing as well as some nice double bass kick action.

Son of the Morning stalls towards the middle as a few tracks blend together, as it’s difficult for the album to keep the same kind of pace and dynamic that first four or five tracks offer. But the final number, “The Finisher,” delivers big time, giving the album a dramatic finish, leaving the listener with a worthwhile final impression.

So while Oh, Sleeper isn’t re-inventing the wheel when it comes to this genre, Son of the Morning is still a solid effort. If you dig bands like August Burns Red and Norma Jean, then you’ll definitely enjoy this album. Son of the Morning features an intriguing topic and has the music to keep your attention as well.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Son of the Morning
2. The New Breed
3. In All Honesty (feat. Cody Bonnette)
4. Breathing Blood
5. Reveries of Flight
6. World Without A Sun
7. The Fire Dawn
8. A Banquet for Traitors
9. Commissioned by Kings
10. The Finisher
Produced by: Andreas Magnusson

Oh, Sleeper is:
Micah Kinard – vocals
Shane Blay – guitar/vocals
James Erwin – guitar
Lucas Starr – bass
Matt Davis – drums

Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 71
12:19 AM on 08/28/09
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
Good review. I really dig this album and it's a lot better than When I am God, that's for sure. I agree that they've gotten a lot better musically, and I'm glad to be hearing Cody's voice on this.

And I can definitely hear the Thrice influences in this.
12:51 AM on 08/28/09
d00d81that
Christine
User Info.
Really nice review, Drew!! Oh, Sleeper killed it with this release... The concept is really awesome too.
05:04 AM on 08/28/09
sullivancares
User Info.
Man good review. I'm so keen! Got my email today from Zambooie.com saying my order was shipped, so cannot wait!
06:31 AM on 08/28/09
Supernovacaine
givin'er
User Info.
enjoyed the album and the review, without a doubt one of the better concept albums out there.
07:11 AM on 08/28/09
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
Definitely going to check this out. Wan't sure about it before, but you've definitely convinced me.
07:58 AM on 08/28/09
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
Great review Drew, Reveries of Flight definitely gives me a Thrice vibe. I really like "World Without a Sun" and "In All Honesty"
08:21 AM on 08/28/09
3eb23
The World Is Yours
User Info.
i've really liked the songs posted on myspace. based on those i figured i'd like this even more than when i am god.
08:29 AM on 08/28/09
ship of fools
hello
User Info.
this is one of my favorite harder albums this year. brilliant. reading along with the lyric book melted my face off
08:32 AM on 08/28/09
sweepthenation
Vickadelphia
User Info.
Good album, love the band
08:33 AM on 08/28/09
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'd rather listen to The Satanic Satanist

not really sure what that has to do with the band, album, or review at hand...but cool!
08:43 AM on 08/28/09
Xianmusicfan
User Info.
I prefer Oh Sleeper over ABR and Norma Jean, even NJ when they had Scogins :/
I love this album, i dunno if it tops WIAG lyrically or vocally but it does musically. I hate that it's only 10 tracks :(

I disagree about it fading in the middle, at least not with Banquet For Traitors, it's my favorite on the album
09:05 AM on 08/28/09
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Oh, Sleeper is definitely one of the best heavier bands around today. Just wish they would play a friggin' show here sometime soon.
09:07 AM on 08/28/09
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
It's not blowing me away or anything but I'm liking it... it was about time for me to add another heavier band to my collection. Definitely felt both old and new Thrice at parts of the album.
09:08 AM on 08/28/09
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great album

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT