AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Owl City - Ocean Eyes Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 6.17
Lyrics 5.9
Production 6.79
Creativity 6.1
Lasting Value 6.23
Reviewer Tilt 6.48
Average: 63%
Inside AP.net

Owl City - Ocean Eyes

Reviewed by: inthemidst (09/01/09)
Owl City - Ocean Eyes
Record Label: Universal Republic
Release Date: July 28, 2009

I'm not 100 percent assured of what compelled me to write this. Maybe it was the biased reviews on AllMusic and Spin, or maybe it was my indescribable desire for positivity in a world of music where it's definitely lacking as the norm. Either way, here it goes.

Owl City, the musical alias of Adam Young, released his Universal Republic debut Ocean Eyes. The full-length is jam-packed with layers and layers of synthesizers, MIDI programming, and an innocent vocal flair. What makes this a bit different from most electronica acts is its undeniable driving rhythm, especially in tracks "Cave In" and "Hello, Seattle" along with guest vocals from the very similar sounding Matt Thiessen of Relient K.

Young uses a combination of analog instruments, such as guitars and drums, mixed with artificial drum loops and sweetly composed synths (see the track "Saltwater Room"), for the goal of making a lasting impact amongst the young at heart. The ethereal mix is undeniably catchy, and I just can't help but see The Postal Service resurrected in Young's compositions. The only difference between these two acts is that Young tends to get simplistic with his lyrics. Other than this, fans of the Gibbard/Tamborello duo would find Owl City quite refreshing.

Ocean Eyes begins with "Cave In," which can only be referred to as the perfect lead-off track, personifying all that Ocean Eyes was intended for, i.e. digital symphony. "The Bird and the Worm," which was written by both Young and Thiessen, starts with an acoustic guitar before mixing the "Mac Attack" programming loops. "Hello, Seattle" is one of the best tracks on the album with the rhythm and hooks clicking on all cylinders. "Umbrella Beach" is a dance-club anthem; all that's missing is a waving glowstick. The album slows down a bit with "The Saltwater Room," a beautiful track with guest vocals from Breanne Duren (Swimming With Dolphins).

"Dental Care" is a pretty simple track about a trip to the dentist an ode to good oral hygiene, I suppose. My personal favorite is "On the Wing," a beautifully layered track similar to "Hello, Seattle," but it adds just a bit of electronic charisma and those darn synths. "Fireflies," the single off of Ocean Eyes, starts off very lullaby-esque before breaking into a powerful chorus, as Young sings "I'd like to make myself believe / That Planet Earth turns slowly / It's hard to say that I'd / Rather stay awake when I'm asleep / 'Cause everything is never as it seems".

The rest of Ocean Eyes flails a little bit and tends to be more redundant than pleasant. However overall, this is a solid album.

Tracklist1. Cave In
2. The Bird and the Worm
3. Hello, Seattle*
4. Umbrella Beach
5. The Saltwater Room*
6. Dental Care
7. Meteor Shower
8. On the Wing*
9. Fireflies*
10. The Tip of the Iceberg
11. Vanilla Twilight
12. Tidal Wave

*Recommended Tracks

Recommended If You LikeThe Postal Service, PlayRadioPlay!, Nevershoutnever, an electronic version of Relient K

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30.
05:45 PM on 09/10/09
Kohiek
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I liked your review. Fair. I think this is one of the best albums of all time, so I am a little to biased. "The Bird and the Worm" totally reminds me of a Relient K song.
07:47 PM on 09/10/09
doppelganger
katy song
User Info.
I liked your review. Fair. I think this is one of the best albums of all time, so I am a little to biased. "The Bird and the Worm" totally reminds me of a Relient K song.
best album of all time?
good God.
05:20 PM on 09/11/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review
05:56 PM on 09/11/09
tyramail
wake up i'm calling you
User Info.
i liked this review and i really enjoy this album. not near best of all time though haha.
07:04 PM on 09/11/09
7wintersowl
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
a thought in general a good review, this album was pretty good through you could tell he han't listened to the other owl city albums, Owl city is awsome
07:16 PM on 09/11/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
In before Dan proclaims that his band sound nothing like Owl City
11:49 PM on 09/11/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
One of the best albums of all time?!! Really?
01:48 AM on 09/12/09
So-Crates
Registered Member
User Info.
Good review
07:33 AM on 09/12/09
sammyboy516
User Info.
You might know this, but that's because Matthew Thiesssen, Relient K's singer, helped with production and did guest vocals on several songs, The Bird and the Worm being one of them.
11:47 AM on 09/12/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Fine review. Horrible, talentless artist.
01:19 PM on 09/12/09
Cliff Diver
Uncle Jesse
User Info.
hmmm...thats a bit extreme. the guy definitely has talent. i enjoy this album a lot actually. good review.
02:59 PM on 09/12/09
jahh
go twins!
User Info.
You might know this, but that's because Matthew Thiesssen, Relient K's singer, helped with production and did guest vocals on several songs, The Bird and the Worm being one of them.
You might know this, but the review already includes this info.
03:32 PM on 09/12/09
The Summer Ends
COYS
User Info.
good lord this
08:55 PM on 09/12/09
sammyboy516
User Info.
You might know this, but the review already includes this info.
sorry, didn't realize that when i wrote the comment.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests