AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

The Permanent Secret - 01.07.09

Interviewed by
The Permanent Secret - 01.07.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Permanent Secret [ap.net profile] [myspace]

1. How did you get your band name?
-Well, I am a huge fan of the band Acceptance, and their song "Permanent" is one of my absolute favorites, so I wanted to pay homage to them in some way. And the "secret" part of the name came about because I was keeping this whole project on the dl for such a long time that not really many people even know of it yet. I wanted to wait until I had something for them to listen to.

2. How did this band get started?
-Originally I was performing solo and acoustic material as Afilia [which i still have plans for continuing], but I kept finding that I had different kinds of songs coming out that didn't really fit the vibe of what I was doing in Afilia. So I decided to give them a true outlet and The Permanent Secret began.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
-Acceptance, Jimmy Eat World, Zebrahead, Incubus, Pennywise, Useless ID, Terminal, Autopilot Off, and many others.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
-Pretty much any of the bands in my 'influenced by' question. I would get to not only play shows with them, but also get to enjoy their music live every night for as long as we were playing. That would be amazing.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
-A sloth because I'm lazy. Also, I think it would just be hysterical.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
-I like to think there are messages in the music that some people can relate to, and not in the cheesy, "my girl broke my heart/I feel your pain" kinda way. I try to write about experiences, both good and bad, and not necessarily just my own. Let's be honest, I'm not that interesting haha. It is, however, really interesting to try and put myself in someone else's shoes, and experience what they are themselves going through.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
-Probably a track called Halos. I would rank it with the Senses Fail song in gh3:it's not super hard to play, but is enjoyable enough to play anyways. at least a couple times. I don't think it would be too hard to get 5 stars on expert though.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
-The bands and artists who inspired me to do what I do in the first place, and all the people who supported and believed in me even when I myself didn't really have complete faith in what I was doing.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
-I don't think any one single change would be enough, but a good start would be a better business model. As much as everyone wants to think every band is in it just for the music, it is their career and just like any job, you need to get paid to make it from week to week. The great thing is that more and more bands are realizing that they don't need a major label to give themselves a great start. It just takes some hard work on your part. Look at bands like the Format, or Poloaris at Noon who have done things different from the norm and have found success. I also think the 360 deal needs to disappear. That is an abomination in the current industry that I feel is raping bands out of receiving any true source of income from what they put their own blood, sweat, and tears into.

10. Memorable tour experience?
-A couple years back I was finishing up in California with a show at The Knitting Factory Hollywood. The bill that night was Cobra Starship, Gym Class Heroes, and a couple other bands. Aside from being super sick already, the day before the show, I wanted to walk around Hollywood a bit since I had never been there. Well, I had a rental car and decided to park it in a cvs lot off of Hollywood Blvd., thinking they were open 24 hours. They weren't. After a couple hours walking around seeing some sights, I went back to find that the car had been towed. They wouldn't let me go to the lot to pick it up that night, so then I was stranded away from everybody else, and it was late. I ended up just getting a hotel room there in Hollywood. Then the next morning, since I couldn't find a ride out to the lot, I began walking. It happened to be about 4 or 5 miles away. I wised up and got on a bus after the first mile, and that took me the rest of the way. Then paid the $400 to get the car out, went and met up with everyone, played the show which actually went really well and was sold out, and then passed on the afterparty. I headed for Arizona because it was my last show and I still had a couple days before my flight back to PA. I wanted to spend it hanging with a friend I only get to see a couple times a year. Unfortunately for me, I got stupid driving way too fast and received a speeding citation at about 3am. My own fault, of course, but still it was a hell of a cap to the previous 2 days.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
-A lot actually. I have found some really awesome bands to fall in love with from this site. I am here nearly everyday and love the interaction between everyone. Yeah, it can get a little out of hand at times, and some users can be really harsh to bands, but for the most part I have had only good experiences here. The ftsk political threads? Classic. There must be at least 1 J Cook thread a month for the entire year for Dan Hunter, Danny Casler, and myself to participate in, or my year goes incomplete.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
-I think right now it is "Toasting Internalization". Either that or "Reality", which you can hear an unfinished version of on the tps myspace page. None of the other songs have been posted yet since we aren't quite done recording yet.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
-It's cheesy, but any place warm with good friends to enjoy the time with.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

-The Pixies, The Cranberries, Pearl Jam, ALL OLDIES. Man, my dad used to turn them on when we were in the car, and it got to the point where people weren't happy unless we were all singing along to them.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

-Like Peter Petrelli from Heroes. The show has gone downhill a bit, but I think it would be cool to be a savant like that and just keep expanding my abilities.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
-Not at all haha. I am more interested in just releasing the Keep This To Yourself...EP finally than I am in "making it." As far as making it goes, to me, that is for others to decide. The moment you start feeling a sense of entitlement is when you need to give it up because you are no longer viewing things through clear eyes.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

-That I write and record all of the music. Except the drums. I write them mostly, but have someone else record them, because I am an awful drummer. My producer and engineer performed those on the ep. He also helped me come up with some awesome leads for a couple songs. Dude is amazing. Also, most don't know that I was actually born in England and lived in Germany for 7 years.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
-Halloween! Followed closely by Thanksgiving. I love food. :)

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
-I'm a nerd for the most part. I play with my puppy drama, have philosophical conversations with friends, play halo 3..a lot, lurk ap.net, run, and I am also a huge movie/bbc learning channel buff. I pretty much always have something to watch.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
-They wouldn't be hidden if I told you now would they? I can bend my back backwards to a full 90 degree angle with my legs straight. Thanks to all my years of high jumping, my back is super flexible. That actually sounds kinda dirty haha.

thanks for reading!

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
03:56 PM on 09/03/09
Iwudstilldie4u
UCSD's AP.net liaison
User Info.
I like this guy. I hope his music is good.
05:17 PM on 09/03/09
luvizmuzic
User Info.
Dan + Drama + Drinking = A very amazing evening.
I've got to get him to play me his stuff sometime.
Everyone should check this guy out!!!!
06:18 PM on 09/03/09
permanentdan
User Info.
I like this guy. I hope his music is good.
i like you too! and i hope you find the music satisfactory as well.

Dan + Drama + Drinking = A very amazing evening.
I've got to get him to play me his stuff sometime.
Everyone should check this guy out!!!!

bethy is that you??
08:05 PM on 09/03/09
katieissweet
@katelyndonahue
User Info.
I almost didn't read this, but then I remembered he's he third Dan from the epic FTSK/J Cook threads from the beginning of the year. Hi
08:14 PM on 09/04/09
permanentdan
User Info.
I almost didn't read this, but then I remembered he's he third Dan from the epic FTSK/J Cook threads from the beginning of the year. Hi
hey how are ya! ive mostly been just lurking over the past few months not saying too much.
12:23 AM on 09/05/09
luvizmuzic
User Info.
i like you too! and i hope you find the music satisfactory as well.

bethy is that you??
Yep! Hi's! haha.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests