AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Showbread - The Fear of God Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 8.25
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.67
Musicianship 5.75
Lyrics 6.42
Production 6.42
Creativity 5.92
Lasting Value 6.08
Reviewer Tilt 6.42
Average: 61%
Inside AP.net

Showbread - The Fear of God

Reviewed by: inthemidst (09/04/09)
Showbread - The Fear of God
Record Label: Tooth & Nail
Release Date: August 11, 2009

After reading an extremely biased review by Alternative Press, I decided to write my own review of Showbread's The Fear of God. As many of you know, Alternative Press only gives a very brief overview of the album without dissecting it into details, which is why I love the reviews on AP.net. The poor score from AltPress is attributed to the reviewer's lack of respect for anything "raw rock" or even "religious." I wanted to give an actual review based on the material at hand, and not based on stereotypical presuppositions.

Guyton, Georgia's "raw rockers" Showbread return after a brief in-between period from their previous releases Anorexia and Nervosa which were released just May of last year. A fan can truly appreciate their impatience to record a new full-length, especially of this quality. What makes Showbread great is their brevity. To elaborate, they're not afraid to take pieces of other genres and display the core of their sound through jaw-clenching riffs and leads, teeth-gnashing rhytms, and hard-hitting vocals. To be perfectly honest, before this album, I wasn't much of a Showbread fan at all. I appreciated what they were doing from the outside whilst still remaining on the fence, but The Fear of God draws me closer. I just can't help but rock out to their sound; it's one that begs for a response, whether good or bad.

Introducing the raw-rock fest is "I'm Lost," making sure that the listener is ready for this monstrosity: "And remember, raw rock kills forever and ever. Amen." "Nothing Matters Anymore" is the first actual track of the album not wasting any time getting to the gist of the theme of the album, which seems to be rocking your face off. Vocalist Josh Dies's sing-screams are blatant and brutal at the same time. His exchange between vocal styles is quick, and comes in short bursts. It's never predictable, and always variable. You never know if he will scream the verse, sing the chorus, vice versa, neither, or both at the same time; he always keeps you guessing. The music matches the intensity of the subject matter in most cases. Mike Jensen and Landon Ginnings (guitars) definitely know how to match the emotion of the song with dirty distortion riffs, and can also bounce to a more intricate solo/lead change most noticably on the track "Out of My Mind."

Dies also shows his talent on the keytar synthesizer, best displayed on the track "Let There Be Raw" which epitomizes Showbread's signature sound. The chorus will undoubtedly be emphasized during live sets with simply shouting "Raw!" at the top of their lungs. The last two tracks of the album are definitely something new for Showbread. The title track slows the album down, almost synopsizing the meaning of the entire album, and really their entire purpose for writing music altogether. Dies starts off questioning God, "Dear God, why should I think you're good, in a world that's falling apart?" but then gears towards redemption at the end of the track explaining how he can't wait until his time comes to see heaven. "Until We Meet Again" slows down even more with just Dies and an acoustic guitar which sounds like it was recorded outside with a 4-track recorder while cars are driving by.

The majority of the album is owned by Showbread's enamoring ability to rock with everything they have, and keep the listener intrigued. This is the best album that I've heard from these guys, in my humble reviewer's opinion, and have made me jump the fence to rock out with them. Hopefully, the bias from previous reviews haven't shaken the skeptics too much; you'll really have to listen for yourself. Be prepared, it's definitely "raw."

Track Listing1. I'm Lost
2. Nothing Matters Anymore
3. Lost Connection With the Head
4. Regret Consumes Me
5. Out of My Mind
6. Vehement
7. The Great Emasculation
8. Shepherd, No Sheep
9. Let There Be Raw
10. I Think I'm Going to See You
11. Precursor
12. The Fear of God
13. Until We Meet Again

Recommended If You LikeRaw Rock, Showbread - No Sir, Nihilism Is Not Practical

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
02:02 PM on 09/17/09
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Nice review man. Still need to check this out, haha.
08:54 PM on 09/17/09
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
Enjoyed the read.. more exposure is needed for solid releases.

Although I slightly disagree that the second-last track is "definitely something new for Showbread." Pretty much every Showbread release has ended with a quasi-epic song that closes with Josh Dies straight-up praising God for his forgiveness and love... Granted, this one focused more on the world's brokenness than on personal failures (and is not technically the last song), but it's right in line with the formula. Not that I have a problem with it... I can't wait to sing the end of this one from the bottom of my heart with the rest of their Cornerstone fans next year (here's hoping they play it).
06:28 AM on 09/18/09
James RE Hughey
User Info.
I think this album is extremely well done for coming so soon after the arduous task of the double album release last year. I honestly do think there is anything new persay, but instead this album is the missing link between No Sir, Nihilism is not Practical and Age of Reptiles. I miss the larger band, especially Ivory and I hope this record does great because if not I do not see Showbread being around much longer.
12:38 PM on 09/18/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Enjoyed the read.. more exposure is needed for solid releases.

Although I slightly disagree that the second-last track is "definitely something new for Showbread." Pretty much every Showbread release has ended with a quasi-epic song that closes with Josh Dies straight-up praising God for his forgiveness and love... Granted, this one focused more on the world's brokenness than on personal failures (and is not technically the last song), but it's right in line with the formula. Not that I have a problem with it... I can't wait to sing the end of this one from the bottom of my heart with the rest of their Cornerstone fans next year (here's hoping they play it).
Oh, alright, my bad. Thanks for the feedback! I also stated in the review that I was never much of a Showbread fan. That, no doubt, attributed to my lack of knowledge of the second-last track being something they've done before on earlier releases. They didn't reinvent the wheel, for sure, but this is a solid release.

That would be sweet to see them at Cornerstone. I've seen them once at Cornerstone FL, plus once here in Jacksonville, and they didn't play it, so here's to hoping!
12:42 PM on 09/18/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
I think this album is extremely well done for coming so soon after the arduous task of the double album release last year. I honestly do think there is anything new persay, but instead this album is the missing link between No Sir, Nihilism is not Practical and Age of Reptiles. I miss the larger band, especially Ivory and I hope this record does great because if not I do not see Showbread being around much longer.
Thanks for the comment! I agree, but Showbread have never been the kind of band to withhold anything from their fans. They keep themselves pretty up-front and vulnerable. I definitely enjoy this album.
01:47 PM on 09/18/09
linds4lif
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good review. In the first song "I'm lost", it says: Thank you and may raw rock kill you forever and ever amen. versus what you put, but its all good.

and like someone else put he does end all of their albums with slower praise-ish/worship songs and I also think that it is a mixture of all of their albums put together!

Dont forget to check out both of their new videos for "Lost Connection with the Head" (that ones on TVU's top ten count down and I think the only place that has this video) and "Vehement"!!! They are also finishing up editing "I Think I'm Going to See You" video, but its not out yet....
03:22 PM on 09/18/09
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.
I saw the same alternative press review. I think revolver or kerrang had a more positive review but nothing to make the album stand out.
04:32 PM on 09/18/09
gunneryoung
landon d. mise
User Info.
Thanks for the good review! We're extremely proud of this record and I'm happy to see a positive review for it.
05:36 PM on 09/18/09
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
Oh, alright, my bad. Thanks for the feedback! I also stated in the review that I was never much of a Showbread fan. That, no doubt, attributed to my lack of knowledge of the second-last track being something they've done before on earlier releases. They didn't reinvent the wheel, for sure, but this is a solid release.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the album in a single sentence. It's everything we've already come to know and love about Showbread through their releases, and it's done really well and enjoyable. Solid stuff. (To be fair, I'm not the most knowledgeable Showbread fan, either; I used to dismiss them but I've picked up most of their discography by now, tho I still need to get No, Sir...)
08:19 PM on 09/18/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Really??? Okay... whatever...
04:49 PM on 09/20/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Great album.
06:46 PM on 09/20/09
chassmariee
shimmy shimmy my way down
User Info.
Ah this album is so good. Your reveiw suited it well.
11:35 AM on 10/02/09
nathaniel
User Info.
This review makes me very happy. AP did a terrible job presenting a quality, unbiased review on this album.
03:58 PM on 04/22/11
subintelligitur
No Sir, Nihilism Is Not Practical
User Info.
Good review. I would have rated the album a little higher, though, but that's just me. Just so you know: you spelled the word "rhythm" wrong in the 4th sentence of the 2nd paragraph.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums