Password

Album Review

Showbread - The Fear of God Album Cover

Showbread - The Fear of God

Reviewed by
Showbread - The Fear of God
Record Label: Tooth & Nail
Release Date: August 11, 2009
This review is a user submitted review from inthemidst. You can see all of inthemidst's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
03:02 PM on 09/17/09
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Nice review man. Still need to check this out, haha.
09:54 PM on 09/17/09
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
Enjoyed the read.. more exposure is needed for solid releases.

Although I slightly disagree that the second-last track is "definitely something new for Showbread." Pretty much every Showbread release has ended with a quasi-epic song that closes with Josh Dies straight-up praising God for his forgiveness and love... Granted, this one focused more on the world's brokenness than on personal failures (and is not technically the last song), but it's right in line with the formula. Not that I have a problem with it... I can't wait to sing the end of this one from the bottom of my heart with the rest of their Cornerstone fans next year (here's hoping they play it).
07:28 AM on 09/18/09
James RE Hughey
User Info.
I think this album is extremely well done for coming so soon after the arduous task of the double album release last year. I honestly do think there is anything new persay, but instead this album is the missing link between No Sir, Nihilism is not Practical and Age of Reptiles. I miss the larger band, especially Ivory and I hope this record does great because if not I do not see Showbread being around much longer.
01:38 PM on 09/18/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Enjoyed the read.. more exposure is needed for solid releases.

Although I slightly disagree that the second-last track is "definitely something new for Showbread." Pretty much every Showbread release has ended with a quasi-epic song that closes with Josh Dies straight-up praising God for his forgiveness and love... Granted, this one focused more on the world's brokenness than on personal failures (and is not technically the last song), but it's right in line with the formula. Not that I have a problem with it... I can't wait to sing the end of this one from the bottom of my heart with the rest of their Cornerstone fans next year (here's hoping they play it).
Oh, alright, my bad. Thanks for the feedback! I also stated in the review that I was never much of a Showbread fan. That, no doubt, attributed to my lack of knowledge of the second-last track being something they've done before on earlier releases. They didn't reinvent the wheel, for sure, but this is a solid release.

That would be sweet to see them at Cornerstone. I've seen them once at Cornerstone FL, plus once here in Jacksonville, and they didn't play it, so here's to hoping!
01:42 PM on 09/18/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
I think this album is extremely well done for coming so soon after the arduous task of the double album release last year. I honestly do think there is anything new persay, but instead this album is the missing link between No Sir, Nihilism is not Practical and Age of Reptiles. I miss the larger band, especially Ivory and I hope this record does great because if not I do not see Showbread being around much longer.
Thanks for the comment! I agree, but Showbread have never been the kind of band to withhold anything from their fans. They keep themselves pretty up-front and vulnerable. I definitely enjoy this album.
02:47 PM on 09/18/09
linds4lif
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good review. In the first song "I'm lost", it says: Thank you and may raw rock kill you forever and ever amen. versus what you put, but its all good.

and like someone else put he does end all of their albums with slower praise-ish/worship songs and I also think that it is a mixture of all of their albums put together!

Dont forget to check out both of their new videos for "Lost Connection with the Head" (that ones on TVU's top ten count down and I think the only place that has this video) and "Vehement"!!! They are also finishing up editing "I Think I'm Going to See You" video, but its not out yet....
04:22 PM on 09/18/09
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.
I saw the same alternative press review. I think revolver or kerrang had a more positive review but nothing to make the album stand out.
05:32 PM on 09/18/09
gunneryoung
landon d. mise
User Info.
Thanks for the good review! We're extremely proud of this record and I'm happy to see a positive review for it.
06:36 PM on 09/18/09
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
Oh, alright, my bad. Thanks for the feedback! I also stated in the review that I was never much of a Showbread fan. That, no doubt, attributed to my lack of knowledge of the second-last track being something they've done before on earlier releases. They didn't reinvent the wheel, for sure, but this is a solid release.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the album in a single sentence. It's everything we've already come to know and love about Showbread through their releases, and it's done really well and enjoyable. Solid stuff. (To be fair, I'm not the most knowledgeable Showbread fan, either; I used to dismiss them but I've picked up most of their discography by now, tho I still need to get No, Sir...)
09:19 PM on 09/18/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Really??? Okay... whatever...
05:49 PM on 09/20/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Great album.
07:46 PM on 09/20/09
chassmariee
shimmy shimmy my way down
User Info.
Ah this album is so good. Your reveiw suited it well.
12:35 PM on 10/02/09
nathaniel
User Info.
This review makes me very happy. AP did a terrible job presenting a quality, unbiased review on this album.
04:58 PM on 04/22/11
subintelligitur
No Sir, Nihilism Is Not Practical
User Info.
Good review. I would have rated the album a little higher, though, but that's just me. Just so you know: you spelled the word "rhythm" wrong in the 4th sentence of the 2nd paragraph.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos