AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Burden Of a Day - Oneonethousand Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 5.25
Production 7.5
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 2
Reviewer Tilt 5.5
Final Verdict: 56%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.83
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.42
Creativity 8.08
Lasting Value 7.83
Reviewer Tilt 7.67
Average: 83%

Burden Of a Day - Oneonethousand

Reviewed by: the andyspecial (09/06/09)
Burden Of a Day - Oneonethousand
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: May 12, 2009

The sinewy sound of Oneonethousand substantiates Burden Of a Day’s place in an already oversaturated Christian hardcore scene. The onset of the album is marked by a familiar lashing cadence a la In Fear and Faith that invites listeners to free themselves from their demons. Using formulaic attacks on the eardrum that show relentless fervor it is easy to predict the band's every move. Songs like “Rember”, “The Mason” and “Modern Gentlemen” are testament to the band’s textbook rhythmic and melodic talents, but they don’t expand the knowledge they have ascertained since their scene began to explode and the album subsequently validates the sterility of the band at this point.

Inability to stagger aggression and flow holds the record back from being a refreshing composite of hardcore. Instead, the bombardment begins to wear on the ear until the volatile mix reaches its end. There is no subtle nuance to delight the ear, no peaceful interlude to reset consciousness, no moment of grace to highlight Kyle Tamosatis' crystalline vocals. To smith a true metal album does not require these composites, but the fashioning of each song appears to allude to a desire to apply such a juncture. To add salt to the wound, the lyrics are also amiss. Tracks like “The Shame in Shedding Wool” and “Sly Foxes” feature an attempt to convey an inspiring message, but are left muddled. Neither one-line mantra nor entire narrative can form the cohesive amalgamations of encouragement and enlightenment they are attempting.

Oneonethousand does, for many reasons, capture attention easily. If the listener manages to sidestep the cloying production and wandering itinerary there is a touch of brilliance that has been manufactured. Sparse vocal hooks atop pulsating rhythms are a standard in the archetype that Burden Of a Day subscribes to, and they are accomplished with a polished trademark. Driving beats and staccato guitar riffs do well not to exacerbate the record. Layering and the recording thereof, thanks to producer Andrew Wade (In Fear and Faith, A Day To Remember), sets an affecting backdrop. Unfortunately, the confused lyrics rupture the emotive balance and distress the album as a whole.

At first listen it is easy to be drawn into this album, the blueprint is seemingly well drawn. With such a poignant form of music it is hard not to capture attention, if only for a minute. For all of the hard work and good intentions wound up in this album, I feel like it is an indignity for me to want to set it to the side and rekindle my affection with Define the Great Line to inspire hope for the genre.

Track Listing01. Remember
02. Fool Me Once
03. The Mason
04. Oceans
05. The Shame In Shedding Wool
06. Sly Foxes
07. Isadora Duncan
08. Oneonethousand
09. Modern Gentlemen
10. My Forefeit

Recommended If You LikeIn Fear and Faith; Emarosa; Drop Dead, Gorgeous

myspace.com/burdenofaday

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
10:14 PM on 09/23/09
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
Nice writing skills.
10:08 AM on 09/24/09
chassmariee
shimmy shimmy my way down
User Info.
Isadora Duncan is my favorite.
05:15 PM on 09/24/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Grr I scream and then sing about GOOODDD!!!
11:21 PM on 09/24/09
brenByah
Welcome to the Blue Hell
User Info.
It's definitely nothing original, but I love the vocalist's voice.
01:09 AM on 09/25/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I completely agree with this review
07:11 AM on 09/25/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Seriously? This is one of the best post-hardcore releases this year.
01:29 PM on 09/25/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
this
08:17 PM on 09/25/09
citiesunderdan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i appreciate the vocabulary skills, but this review gets hard to read in places... most people don't share your expanded vocab. i haven't listened to this cd much but this band is from my area and its nice to see them getting some recognition.
09:48 PM on 09/25/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
This.

..but I guess Death By Stereo is so much better.
09:08 AM on 09/26/09
abellaw
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I liked this album a lot but i think i liked their first album better
10:27 AM on 09/28/09
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
I liked Blessed Be Our Ever After better but this still way better than a 56%.
04:16 PM on 02/11/10
phillycheese37
I'll be back around
User Info.
I think the new vocalist is pretty talented, and the album should have featured his clean voice a little more. More screaming scores more scene points, but doesn't always make for a better album.
01:29 PM on 03/31/11
shika
User Info.
You shouldn't be allowed to review another cd again because of people like you not actually listening to the music bands like boad get no recognition and call it quits before they can truly be heard. This cd is great, Blessed Be Our Ever After was also great.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests