Password

Album Review

Texas Is the Reason - Texas Is the Reason EP Album Cover

Texas Is the Reason - Texas Is the Reason EP

Reviewed by
Texas Is the Reason - Texas Is the Reason EP
Record Label: Revelation Records
Release Date: November 21, 1995
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
This was a user review published several years prior to my becoming staff.

Texas Is the Reason were a short-lived indie/emo band from New York City active for about three years during the mid-90s. During that time, they released one EP, one full-length album, and two split seven inch singles. Texas Is the Reason, their self-titled debut EP, created quite an underground sensation, and would go on to influence many bands that became torchbearers of a scene that Texas Is the Reason helped to create, and become an essential part of the ‘emo’ canon.

The album opens with “If It’s Here When We Get Back, It’s Ours,” a fast-paced song that is arguably the best of the three on the record. It immediately showcases what the band does best: driving, punk-influenced songs with ardent vocals over a raging tempest of two guitars, bass and drums. The next song, “Dressing Cold,” a more mid-tempo number, follows more or less the same vein as “If It’s Here When We Get Back, It’s Ours.” The band presses on as vocalist Garret Klahn sings, “Now it’s not that easy / And it’s not the same.” The album closes with “Antique,” which is roughly twice as long as either of the previous tracks. The song begins with only clean guitar before drums and then bass come in. After about a minute, the guitar becomes distorted and vocals come in. This track displays some of Klahn’s more impassioned vocals and better lyrics. “Can you guess what kind of mood he’s in? / Well he just found out that she’s in love with just the thought of him,” he sings on the bridge.

“Antique” closes with a high-octane outro before ending with feedback. At only about ten-and-half-minutes long, Texas Is the Reason was the world’s introduction to the band, and it is only a small taste of what they can (or could have) done. While some would argue that this EP merely set the stage for their follow-up full-length, Do You Know Who You Are?, I believe this release, while short, to be the definitive Texas Is the Reason. Despite the rough, gritty production and the sometimes muffled vocals on this album, I do not think that the full-length captures the emotion that Texas Is the Reason captures so well. That being said, Do You Know Who You Are? is still an excellent album. Please accept my recommendation of both albums to all who like any of the bands listed below. Texas Is the Reason had a profound influence on the likes of The Get Up Kids, Elliott, Brand New, and a little band from Mesa, AZ who released their debut full-length the year after this album was released.

Recommended If You LikeSunny Day Real Estate; Elliott; early Jimmy Eat World; any other 90s emo band

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
04:32 AM on 09/25/09
wendjiqn
User Info.
Good review. Incredible EP. I love this band, I actually reviewed the full length a while back haha
05:26 PM on 09/25/09
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
probably my favorite EP of all-time.
04:05 PM on 11/10/09
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
probably my favorite EP of all-time.
Yeah def. up there for me...thanks man.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News