AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

The Widescreen Edition - 01.07.09

Interviewed by
The Widescreen Edition - 01.07.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Widescreen Edition - (Dylan)

ap.net profile
myspace
youtube
purevolume

1. How did you get your band name?
The name "The Widescreen Edition" came to be after many hours of brainstorming for a band name. We were struggling in figuring out exactly what to be called and a former member of the band had somewhat given up and chose to watch a movie instead of brainstorm. We began watching something like "The Last Samurai" or something and the DVD noted that the movie was in "The Widescreen Edition" feature. At that point we all stopped and looked at each other as if it had just clicked with all of us at once.

2. How did this band get started?

The Widescreen Edition was founded by three people three years ago at a local church. Although we are not a christian band, the three members started the project to play at their church due to an concert that was taking place at the church that was looking for bands to open up. They pulled a few songs together and played the show, then after decided to pursue the band as a regular thing. Later on,the band added close friend Kyle Prouty on the glockenspiel/keyboards, only to shortly thereafter lose their original drummer, Shane Prescott. Kyle brought in his close friend Gerard Terrill as a replacement, and Gerard brought a whole new level of intensity to the band. The band got incredibly tight with their sound and music. A second founding member, Gordon Walters, was asked to leave due to lack of commitment, as well as theft of band funds. The Widescreen Edition had their then manager, Dylan Smith, fill in on keyboard while Kyle made the switch to bass. Dylan finally became a full-time member a few weeks later while continuing to manage the band.
*Note: We consider The Widescreen Edition now as a new band, with a new direction, and a new purpose. I filled in the history to now to explain how this "new" The Widescreen Edition came to be.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

On a certain level, we are all influenced by different things. Each member bringing a similar but creatively different level to the table. These creative differences help create some fluctuation between the music we create. Matt Johnson, our singer/guitarist, grew up listening to the music his father loved, which was mostly blues and jazz. He takes a personal liking though to Eric Clapton and Justin Timberlake. Gerard, our drummer, was highly influenced by anything pop punk, like your Blink-182, No Doubt, Hopsefall, Just Surrender, and New Found Glory. Kyle, our bassist, in love with Coheed & Cambria, Radiohead, The Dear Hunter, Blue October, The Appleseed Cast, and anything David Bazan. I (Dylan), the keyboardist, have always claimed my favorite bands are The Dear Hunter, The Receiving End Of Sirens, Wax On Radio, As Tall As Lions, and Forgive Durden. As a band, we're really into Sigur Ros, At The Drive In, The Mars Volta, Coldplay, Radiohead, Brand New, Pedro The Lion, Stars, and Sufjan Stevens.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?

You know, We've actually talked about this a lot. I (Dylan) guess it's a form of dreaming/hoping for something. In Reality, we'd tour with anyone who would take us across the country. But we'd love to tour with someone like Radiohead, Sigur Ros, or Coldplay. We've always felt as if we are that next generation of Radiohead, Sigur Ros, or Coldplay like bands. We're not comparing ourselves to them, but we feel like we'd fit right in in that genre of music. We look up to those guys as they make the best music in the world to us. We know their are a lot of people who would agree when we say that those three bands are amazing. Therefore as our biggest influences we'd love to tour with them because we'd fit in, and it would just altogether be an amazing show/experience.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?

We'd be a wildcat, because we have a song that is called "Wildcat". We view a large amount of the music we have as calm but then builds up and builds up before striking with an intense force. Like how a wildcat would sneak up on its pray building up its attack before striking before you know it its over and the cat is satisfied. Our listeners always leave satisfied.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

People should listen to our band, because we dare to be different in a music scene that's filled with nothing but hardcore, screamo, pop punk, and electronic dance pop music. What other bands do you know that are following the footsteps of Radiohead, Coldplay, or Sigur Ros? We're not following them exactly but there is not a lot technically out there for us to follow. It's very hard to gain more new fans when you're playing with Blessthefall wannabes. We pull through though. We don't let it slow us down, it just means we have to work twice as hard. We feel our work ethic and our musicianship really play off into capturing new fans. Why should you listen to us? Because we're a band who have solid music that anyone can enjoy and our music is something that you can get totally lost in. Our music can be an escape from reality, something you can just dive into and let the music overcome you.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?

I (Dylan) think we'd have our song "Silver Metallic Flux" because it's a really guitar heavy song compared to our others which have a wide variety of instruments. I think the song would be challenging on expert, but with today's GH/RB players Dragonforce on Expert is a walk in the park.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

I would thank our families, our fans, and generally anyone who really helped us get to that point of winning a Grammy. I would like to be original but there really isn't much of an original answer to this one.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I would change the difficulty it is to get into some venues to play shows for do-it-yourself bands like ourselves. It's really hard to put together a tour, or get yourself on a tour and play in legitimate venues. Therefore it's really hard to get your feet off the ground as a touring band, without some major help.

10. Memorable tour experience?

We've never actually "toured" we've done a few out of state overnight mini-tours. Like from New Jersey to Connecticut to New Hampshire to Massachusetts. Therefore I couldn't truthfully answer this question. If this was "What kind of tour would you like to do?" I would answer Warped Tour. I feel like we would really fare well at Warped Tour because the fans on their date of the tour or open minded to every style of music. You'll catch All That Remains metalheads watching The Aggrolites or Greeley Estates lovers watching Boys Like Girls. I've always loved that facet of the tour. I know people would give us a chance and listen.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

AP.net to me, is the most important alternative/rock music website there is. There are thousands of music lovers just like me, always looking for something new to listen to. There are many people who just skim the website looking for names to enter into google or myspace to listen to something new. AP.net also is an amazing help to smaller bands because they really emphasize on helping to get smaller bands names and/or music out there to new fans. They are in no way unfair or biased to an extreme. It's a perfect combination, Small Bands + AP.net.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

My favorite song to play in "Breathe in and Out" which with our intro into the song is about 7 minutes long. The Intro really is upbeat and grabs the fans attention only to pull them into this dark, eerie, but catchy feel of the song. The song is so exhilarating and I love playing it.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I've never been but I've always wanted to go to California.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Anything Tchaicovsky or Brahms. My parents always loved classical music and I grew up listening to a lot of it.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

I would have the power to play any instrument I picked up and hit any note perfectly. I think people always get caught in the invisibility or flying or shooting lasers from their eyes part of super powers. I would truly just have the power to rock. Maybe save the world with a powerful guitar solo or something but that's for another day.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?

No, not yet. I know we still have a long way to go.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I graduated 30th in my class out of 232 people.

18. What's your favorite holiday?

Christmas. I love to give back to those who gave.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I really enjoy playing piano. I'm new to it so practice makes perfect. Other than that I really enjoy movies, I love catching up on new movies or actually going out to see one. I'm finishing up my degree at my community college as a Theatre major so I really enjoy watching movies and picking out the flaws in the acting or directing. The same rule applies for when I go to see theatrical performances. I should be a critic.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

My hidden talent is my mind. Most people have something cool like being double jointed in the hips or something, but for me its just my mind. I love using it to write about anything. I love writing or ranting or blogging or journaling. I don't really talk about it that much because I'm quiet and reserved about my mind and writing. I hope that made any sense.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
01:23 PM on 09/12/09
losnoufy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
not for nothing, but you might want to expand your musical taste buds. your personal influences are all bands that casey crescenzo has been a part of at some point or is good friends with.

i'm half kidding, i just wanted to call attention to that interesting coincidence. all great bands, with that being said.
01:29 PM on 09/12/09
TSHLuis
User Info.
one of the dudes in this band likes blue october.
08:08 PM on 09/13/09
doritoz
NICER DICER
User Info.
one of the dudes in this band likes blue october.
Are they good?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version