AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: All That Remains - 08.04.09

All That Remains - 08.04.09

Interviewed by
All That Remains - 08.04.09I recently spoke with All That Remains guitarist Mike Martin during their run on the Mayhem Festival .

First, can you introduce yourself and tell us what you do in the band?

I am Mike Martin. I play guitar in All That Remains.

We're here at the Mayhem Festival. How has it been going so far?

Phenomenal. Best tour ever, and I'm not even exaggerating. I know a lot of people probably say that, but this really has been our favorite tour we've ever done.

Do you have any good tour stories so far?

So far... God, there's been so much cool stuff. Every night is just like parking lot summer camp barbecue with all the bands. Behemoth had a corpse paint party the other night where all the bands were getting their faces painted like Behemoth, which was cool. There's always something going on with the Metal Militia guys and the Rockstar Energy guys. There's so much crap going on I can't even pick out an actual moment where I was like, "This is amazing," but basically every night is awesome.

Are there bands that you try to watch every day?

Yeah, I've been watching God Forbid every day. They go on right before us, so it's really convenient and I love watching them. They're one of my favorite bands. I watch Cannibal Corpse every day, because they play when we're signing, usually right next to us, so we get to watch them and rock out to them. Right around the time I go to the main stage for dinner, Killswitch is going on, so it's pretty awesome watching Killswitch every day. Seen a little bit of Manson and Slayer here and there but not too much, because once they go security starts getting really lame. I want to punch them in the face. [laughs]

Your drummer, Jason [Costa], recently broke his hand. How'd that happen?

He was drunk in Austria, and he's an idiot when he's drunk. He slammed it against a table and he broke it, so we've been hazing him this whole tour in every interview. So Jason: you're a fucking idiot! [laughs]

How is his recovery going?

It's good. Here's here today because we're in Boston. Here's here hanging out with us, and he's just all bummed and depressed that he's not playing, which he kind of deserves. But it's nice to see him today, 'cause we miss him. He's just about healed. We've got two more weeks of this tour. He's just going to take the rest of this tour off, and then we've got some shows when we get home. He'll be fine to play those shows.

How are things going with his fill-in?

Awesome. Tony Laureano used to play in Nile and Dimmu Borgir. He's saving our asses big time. He had three rehearsals to learn our set. He's been nailing it. He's really, really saving us.

Your last album, Overcome, had a lot more melody on it than your previous material.

Haven't heard this question before. [laughs] What was the question again?

Was that a conscious effort?

No, no. I say the same thing in every interview. It's just whatever the music calls for, you know? If we have melodic guitars, we don't mind singing over it, 'cause Phil [Labonte, vocals] can sing. And if we have heavy stuff, we scream. Whatever is not forced, to keep it flowing naturally.

How do you respond to criticism regarding it?

We don't really have to, because for every person that criticizes us we get like 4,000 new fans. [laughs] It's not like we're living under a rock. We heard some people are like, "Oh, they're gay now! They're selling out." But the record is selling three times faster than anything we've ever done. We had a top ten single on real rock radio. You can't get mad. Everything is going so well. Go ahead and criticize. As soon as you start getting criticized more, that just means you're doing better, so it's all good.

There you go!

Criticize away. [laughs]

How was it working with Jason Suecof as producer instead of Adam D.?

It was a little different, just because it was our first time traveling to go record. We're used to just working with Adam at home. We'd record at home and then go sleep our own beds. It was a really casual thing for us. This time we went down to Florida with Jason and sat in a hotel room for a month. It was kind of weird. Working with Jason was awesome. He's great at what he does; it just kind of sucked being trapped in a hotel room for a month or two at a time. It was just something I'd rather not do again. But as far as actually being in the studio with Jason, it was great. That guy knows what he's doing.

You guys are recording a music video for "Forever in Your Hands" pretty soon.

Yeah, I believe on Sunday, less than a week. It's basically a lot of road footage. It's going to be one of those tour videos, which have always been my favorite videos, so I'm psyched that we're doing one like that. One of those videos that kids see, and it makes you want to be in a band.

What else is in store for All That Remains for the rest of the year?

Lots of American touring. We spent the whole first half of the year out of America, so we're just going to do a bunch of America for the rest of the year. We'll do a headlining tour for like two months in the fall, and then towards the end of the year do a co-headlining run. All these are with bands I don't even know, and even the rumored bands I can't really mention. I don't really know with who yet, but it's going to be mostly America. Some Canada in there too. We'll be in Canada a little bit. Just a whole lot of touring. The beginning of next year we'll start worrying about the next record, start writing and stuff.

Is there anyone you’d like to tour with that you haven’t had the chance to?

We'd always really like to do a tour with Lamb of God. We thought it'd be really cool to tour with those guys. They're nice dudes and we love their band. As far as shooting high, it'd be really cool to tour with Metallica. Lamb of God is touring with Metallica right now, so it'd be kind of awesome. If I could bring a band back, I'd like to tour with Pantera. But a lot of the bands we'd love to tour with we're touring with right now, so it's pretty awesome. The Bullet for My Valentine guys are great, the Killswitch guys, Black Dahlia, everybody. We've toured with just about everyone we want to tour with already.

Do you have any closing remarks?

Yeah. We’re not a Christian band, and we’re not a metalcore band.

Thank you.

Have a nice day!

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
09:26 AM on 09/14/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Uhh...ok. The next to last response was a little out of place, but I guess he had concerns about how ATR's fans categorize them. Whatever...
11:20 AM on 09/14/09
MattDennis
(Yeah)
User Info.
Haha I like these guys' older stuff (aka anything not the new album), but they are 100% a metalcore band.
11:55 AM on 09/14/09
what_ever
every supahero need his theme music
User Info.
I havent heard the new stuff yet
12:02 PM on 09/14/09
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Haha I like these guys' older stuff (aka anything not the new album), but they are 100% a metalcore band.
That was my thoughts. Maybe he meant they're not a metalcore band anymore (although even that is debatable), or he doesn't like the stigma that may come with the term, but it's impossible to not categorize their previous material as straight forward metalcore.
01:38 PM on 09/14/09
Raarzipan
Registered Member
User Info.
I havent heard the new stuff yet
you don't want to. and he pretty openly says they sold out, because they did.
03:05 PM on 09/14/09
red8ge
@JohnxHill
User Info.
That was my thoughts. Maybe he meant they're not a metalcore band anymore (although even that is debatable), or he doesn't like the stigma that may come with the term, but it's impossible to not categorize their previous material as straight forward metalcore.
I don't think any band likes being called a metalcore band.
03:20 PM on 09/14/09
Jaimehere
Support local music!
User Info.
never got into this band, well maybe a little with just 1-3 songs from them
03:38 PM on 09/14/09
silentjslivjak
Shorter, Faster, Louder
User Info.
hahaha good call
04:38 PM on 09/14/09
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Very true, but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade.
05:09 PM on 09/14/09
bobcatbob18
Hang your secrets
User Info.
I really dig these guys I didn't realize Adam D produced some of their stuff. I guess it makes sense now that I think about it.
07:28 PM on 09/14/09
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
I really dig these guys I didn't realize Adam D produced some of their stuff. I guess it makes sense now that I think about it.
Yeah, all of their stuff up until the last album.
12:19 AM on 09/15/09
what_ever
every supahero need his theme music
User Info.
you don't want to. and he pretty openly says they sold out, because they did.
yeah I have always felt that the whole "we only have haters cuz we're doing something right" thing is a total cop-out
08:54 AM on 01/18/10
MakeMeFlinch
Poet
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i dont really get whats so bad about metal core. that whole christian scream-o is just another way to cash in on peoples religion. they just put the word god a couple times in their music and whamo, christian rock has a built in audiance. and more and more every day of those shitty conformist douche bag bands are popping up. i know all that remains isnt christian, but why are they so persistant they arnt metal core?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos