AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Saosin - In Search of Solid Ground Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 8
Production 7.75
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.75
Musicianship 5.25
Lyrics 5.21
Production 5.25
Creativity 4.88
Lasting Value 4.5
Reviewer Tilt 4.96
Average: 51%
Inside AP.net

Saosin - In Search of Solid Ground

Reviewed by: Tapesombut (09/14/09)
Saosin - In Search of Solid Ground
Record Label: Virgin
Release Date: September 8, 2009

"as i am in my hotel room in athens greece, about to come home from my honeymoon, ill try to quickly answer these questions, so please excuse the briefness..... (is that a word??)

to me, all 3 releases are completely different... they are all years apart from each other... each release is what we wanted to do at that time and i don't really compare the records any more than i compare songs to other songs on a record.. hopefully each record offers something different for the listener to take hold of. if a person wants to hear old shreddy songs, they can still listen to those songs... there is no need to recreate them.. (and we still play them live)

the heavier songs were not completed in time for the release date.. thats why they didn't end up on the record.. but now listening to the record, i dont really see where the super heavy songs would fit on the record, next to songs like "its all over now" and "fireflies" i think the record flows pretty good as it is, and personally i think the heavy jams would have taken away from the overall vibe of the record.
we may decide to finish them, assuming we have some time off to do so, and i'd like to still make the "heavy e.p." but only time will tell..

hopefully that helps clear some fog...

peace

beau "
-Saoboard

In Search Of Solid Ground is definitely a Saosin album with a different direction, and a much different one from the self-titled album, but to say it's "selling out" is far from the truth. As stated by Beau Burchell, Saosin's guitarist, its been three years between each album, and each had a different direction due to the time it was created. We can really see this change in their song "Changing," which is a catchy, melodic song with a nice beat. In some ways we're expecting this album to be the same as the self-titled.We can look at this album in that manner, or we can look at it as an entirely new aspect to Saosin. For what it this album is, it delivers. It's lighter and catchy, the lightest song being "What We Were Made For," a very poppy, yet catchy, song that's different from any other track on this album, and the heaviest being "I Keep My Secrets Safe," unless you preordered from iTunes and received the bonus track "Bury Me," which is a typical heavy Saosin track. What makes me cling to this album is how in-depth and personal the lyrics really are. Forget how poppy or un-heavy it is and listen to the lyrics. "The Worst Of Me," "Fireflies," "It's All Over Now," "The Alarming Sound Of A Small Voice" and "Nothing Is What It Seems": all very powerful and dark, yet hopeful, songs.

Now, about the musicianship aspect of the album: I have to admit that I was some what dissapointed when I heard fewer riffs and less heavy drumming from these guys, but that doesn't mean they're diminishing as musicians. The lead guitar is a bit "verbed out" but I think the purpose behind that is too excel and let the lyrics and vocals be heard. The same goes for Alex's drums. Anything harder and it may of ruined the melody of the song. One aspect of the musicanship I did find interesting is how much they are putting into the bass. Chris, their bassist really stands out in some songs such as "Is This Real" and "Fireflies (Light Messengers)." As for their singer Cove Reber, I believe he far surpasses who he was lyrically and vocally during the self-titled. We get a much deeper sense of who Cove is during this album. We get to see his life unfold during those three years through these songs. I see Cove and Saosin in three stages, like a Pokemon if you will. They're evolving and growing into something spectacular. We may not see it now but in a few years Saosin may grow into something extraordinary. If anyone has seen Saosin live they know they rock out hard, and that is something you can't take away from these guys. We've seen many bands and artist struggle with their sophomore albums. Saosin is not the first.

There of course are some downs to this album. I think the first thing that throws people off with the album is the overall flow and order of the songs, but with a few listens you can see how one song flows into another. The album does come off very strong with the intro "I Keep My secrets Safe," then it calms down and picks back up at "On My Own." Not only the flow but the feel of each song is different. Some are poppy and some are less poppy. I found this very confusing at first, but it grows on you. This whole album seems like an experiment for Saosin, pushing their old boundaries and going into something a bit different, which is very daring and critical of them. In Search of Solid Ground is not the self titled nor is it Translating The Name;it's different and has to be treated differently. One should appreciate it for what it is and not what you expected it to be, because for what it is, its beautiful.

On a personal note, I think this album is very moving and emotional. Through the lyrics, we can see that Cove delivered his soul and thought into this album. "Fireflies" is just like another "You're Not Alone,"though one shouldn't compare as if they were the same. The solo of "Fireflies"just takes you into another place. This song really defines the aspect of dark and hopeful. If there's anything to describe this album, it's that it is made up of wonderful break up songs. I myself am a Saosin fan and I was disappointed when I didn't hear what I expected or wanted out of them, but after time I found out why I listen to them and why this album is so deep and meaningful.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17.
03:34 AM on 10/02/09
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
great review, completely agree, ISoSG is a very good album...
04:06 AM on 10/02/09
MILFCORE
User Info.
Quote:
the heavier songs were not completed in time for the release date.. thats why they didn't end up on the record..
this shit would never happen on an indie label
05:17 AM on 10/02/09
geebee889
Registered Goober
User Info.
I've been debating whether or not I should pick this up. I think I might now.
05:41 AM on 10/02/09
AMackChuck
I am...Bakerguy
User Info.
I still refuse to listen to this album
08:25 AM on 10/02/09
cereal4life
User Info.
Maybe Saosin didn't sell out but they traded in their winning formula for a weak radio-friendly version that's uninspired, generic and just plain boring. Still disappointed by this album!

EDIT: And Beau, use correct English when you blog! You look like an illiterate buffoon when you write like that. And it's "brevity".
08:29 AM on 10/02/09
tyramail
wake up i'm calling you
User Info.
Quote:
I have to admit that I was some what dissapointed when I heard fewer riffs and less heavy drumming from these guys, but that doesn't mean they're diminishing as musicians
i agree, i was disappointed with that as well, but i still dig this album. good review.
11:01 AM on 10/02/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Reading the top of the review, I was like, "WTF, this is absolute shit, it's not punctuated properly.. it's a mess".

Then I scrolled down haha. Good review
11:04 AM on 10/02/09
astaticskyline
Musician, Network Services Engineer
User Info.
I still refuse to listen to this album
not sure why... you're missing out.
11:19 AM on 10/02/09
GeeBee
Tertium Non Datur
User Info.
So did Autotune sing on this album? From what I've heard, Cove does the live performances, but Autotune covers the recordings.
01:07 PM on 10/02/09
AMackChuck
I am...Bakerguy
User Info.
not sure why... you're missing out.
An Average 26% for a score makes me not want to spend money buying it.
02:02 PM on 10/02/09
andrewa5
www.facebook.com/oftemples
User Info.
Why cant you see is the only song in the record that has gotten stuck in my head.
None of the other songs really stand out!
04:21 PM on 10/02/09
astaticskyline
Musician, Network Services Engineer
User Info.
An Average 26% for a score makes me not want to spend money buying it.
noted. i dont mind it. I feel like people need to just look/listen at the CD by itself... the problem with Saosin is that no matter what they put out, people keep comparing it to their older work... but I love and respect those guys so thats just me.
09:56 PM on 10/02/09
xonatterzox
Heroes in a half shell.
User Info.
This Cd is really different from old Saosin stuff but i like it. i can't stop listening to nothing is what it seems (without you).
11:51 PM on 06/07/10
TheStoic
User Info.
I personally liked ISOSG. True, the album was not as exciting as Anthony Green era work or the S/T (which I loved every song), but there are still gems on this ablum.

The mixes of the songs that came off of the Grey EP for the album are not as strong as the mixes from the Grey EP itself, and I love the song "Keeping Secrets", but do not like the new vox on the Album mix. Cove's sreaming breakdown section on the Grey EP blew me away and was very good and exciting, but it was not as powerful on the album version. Still, "I keep my secrest safe" and "Worst of me (Love Maker)" are still good songs in my mind.

The true shining track from the album is "On My Own" as it is the closest to the previous catalog and has an amazing breakdown and excellent progression. I love this track personally, and feel it is a very strong showcase of Saosin's talent.
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS