Password

Album Review

Teenage Bottlerocket - They Came From the Shadows Album Cover

Teenage Bottlerocket - They Came From the Shadows

Reviewed by
Teenage Bottlerocket - They Came From the Shadows
Record Label: Fat Wreck
Release Date: September 15, 2009
They say dogs are man's best friend: loyal, dependable, always there for you; like a best friend would, they never let you down. In many ways, Fat Wreck has been a dog to all of us punk rock fans over the past several years. Take a moment to go over the Fat release calendar from the past decade -- do you see many genuine letdowns? The label does a reliable job at signing bands worth knowing, and for Wyoming's Teenage Bottlerocket, it is certainly no different.

Taking a cue in attitude from Descendents, a cue in fashion from the Ramones, and hovering around the style of mid-nineties pop-punk, Teenage Bottlerocket is never going to change the world or drastically transform their easily-identifiable sound; the songs are clean, crisp, short and candidly humorous. On their fourth full-length album, They Came From the Shadows, the band hardly strays from the basic speedy power-chord formula they perfected on 2003's Another Way, 2005's Total or 2008's Warning Device. Call it redundant, but pop-punk without all the shenanigans is a vast achievement in this day and age of fashionistas with autotune.

"Skate or Die" is a tongue-in-cheek anthem that lightly pokes at the old-school SoCal punk lifestyle, and "Bigger Than Kiss" is a snarky tongue-wagging tune that highlights Kody Templeman's penchant for good-natured ribbing ("Detroit couldn't rock itself out of a paper bag" and "We'll live our life in alcoholic bliss when we're bigger than Kiss"). "Todayo" is actually a fairly sweet number, "The Jerk" is vintage Green Day, a story on self-loathing that sadly lacks any Steve Martin shoutouts. "Be With You" is classic Ben Weasel territory, and if "Call in Sick" doesn't wake up the Ferris Bueller inside of you, nothing will.

Coincidentally, what heightens the overall effectiveness of Shadows is that Descendents/ALL member Bill Stevenson produced this record, which captures the band on a high you can feel for all its 32 glorious minutes. Their third recording with the go-to punk producer, the band sounds rejuvenated by the mere fact they are now Fat men.

Don't expect Teenage Bottlerocket to change your life or offer one to exclaim "ALBUM OF THE MILLENNIUM," however if you like your pop-punk drizzled with old-school mechanics and full of blissfully snappy top-tappers... Teenage Bottlerocket will always come when you call.

Recommended if You LikeALL; Descendents; Ramones; Screeching Weasel; Chixdiggit!; The Mr. T Experience; The Vandals
Choice Cuts"Bigger Than Kiss," "Todayo" and "Call in Sick"

Track Listing1. Skate or Die
2. Don't Want To Go
3. Bigger Than Kiss
4. Do What?
5. Not OK
6. Forbidden Planet
7. Call in Sick
8. Fatso Goes Nutzoid
9. Without You
10. Tonguebiter
11. Be With You
12. The Jerk
13. They Came From the Shadows
14. Todayo
Band MembersKody Templeman: guitar/vocals
Ray Carlisle: guitar/vocals
Miguel Chen: bass
Brandon Carlisle: drums

Online VitalsOfficial Site | Official Myspace
PurchaseAmazon MP3
This review is a user submitted review from Chris Fallon. You can see all of Chris Fallon's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
05:33 AM on 09/16/09
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Stoked to get my hands on this! Hopefully it can at least be right on par with Total.

Also? Ray Carlisle sings a few lines on the new Broadway Calls record!
06:51 AM on 09/16/09
tuxiboy
Polarbear
User Info.
Enjoyable pop-punk. Nothing more, nothing less.
08:31 AM on 09/16/09
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
good review!

i love this band.
09:18 AM on 09/16/09
imtellingseb
some men were born to lurk
User Info.
nice review chris! TBR is such a fun and good band. nothing revolutionary, but they stick with what they do best, and they do it good!
09:19 AM on 09/16/09
concealer611
User Info.
Like them a lot, loved Warning Device. Will definitely be picking this up.
10:51 AM on 09/16/09
Captain Awesome
We're gonna party like it's 2012
User Info.
I love this band a lot. "In The Basement" is probably one of my favorite pop-punk songs of this decade.
11:06 AM on 09/16/09
ddb43
User Info.
I love this band a lot. "In The Basement" is probably one of my favorite pop-punk songs of this decade.
I agree. Skate or die might be my new jam.
11:20 AM on 09/16/09
Captain Awesome
We're gonna party like it's 2012
User Info.

Haha have you seen the video for it?
Reminds me of when I used to film for my friend's skate team.
Great song and awesome video, good call sir.
01:20 PM on 09/16/09
Formatfun
Format, The, Format, The
User Info.
Great band with a fantastic mixture of my favorite elements of pop punk. Can't wait to listen to this.
02:09 PM on 09/16/09
imtellingseb
some men were born to lurk
User Info.
skate or die is so good i pee'd my pants a little first time i heard it.
07:39 AM on 09/17/09
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
better than Warning Device. Fantastic vintage pop-punk, awesome punchy production and about as fun and catchy of an Autumn album as you could want. just in time for Halloween.
08:55 AM on 10/03/09
PunkSux27
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
worst band i have ever heard. Absolutepunk.net is the worst site to go to for breaking music.In no way does the reviews on any album come close to matching how the album accutly is. Please find new reviews and people who can be subjective and open minded and not 15 year old boys who look like Pink. If you think this is good please dont listen to music anymore.
02:59 AM on 10/14/09
skatfree
Emo Hunter
User Info.
wtf? the vandals are NOTHING like TBR. this reviewer needs to go boil his head.
03:16 AM on 10/14/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
wtf? the vandals are NOTHING like TBR. this reviewer needs to go boil his head.
Um... they write classic pop-punk, include humor in their lyrics and anyone who could possibly enjoy what the Vandals have to offer would surely find something to like in TBR. You act like I am calling TBR a replacement. It's recommended for fans of the Vandals' style. I have the bath running so I have to go now. That water ain't gonna boil itself!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos