Password

Album Review

Banner Pilot - Collapser Album Cover

Banner Pilot - Collapser

Reviewed by
Banner Pilot - Collapser
Record Label: Fat Wreck
Release Date: September 1, 2009
Dillinger Four and The Lawrence Arms may not yet be done in their crusade to bring sweaty orgcore to the Midwestern youth of America, but if the torch suddenly becomes too heavy in a couple years down the road, it's safe to say Banner Pilot would be more than happy to take it from them. The young Minnesota quintet joined the Fat Wreck family late last year after earning glowing compliments from fans and critics alike for their full-length debut, Resignation Day. As continuous road warriors gathering a massive following, Banner Pilot is set to light the orgcore scene ablaze with their sophomore release, Collapser.

Documenting twelve songs on the failures individuals can make and the ability to recover from them, Nick Johnson's vocals sound like early Blake Schwarzenbach blended with Brendan Kelly. That combination makes for the perfect sentiment on cut-up tracks like "Pensacola" and "Farewell to Iron Bastards." While the blue collar spirit is certainly nothing new to this style of punk rock, with Banner Pilot, it sounds well-versed and sparkles with genuine affection. Perhaps semi-autobiographical, Collapser does have a tendency to bleed together, but Johnson's words are so strikingly personal, you can feel his angst and aggression with every pull.

"A look at you, it hurts - I can't deny that," he sings on "Hold Me Up," the record's most vulnerable track. "It makes all the blood and bones melt right out of my knees when you speak." On "Losing Daylight," Johnson tries his hand at expository lyricism: "Another day, it's poetry / Write it, spill my heart out to her / But I'm no writer." There's just so much grit inside the honest words here, it's rather refreshing to see a Jawbreaker mentality simultaneously blended together with the prototypical Minnesota sound. "Write it Down" pulls this feat off by sounding like the best track from Dear You finding its way onto Situationist Comedy.

Collapser is more likely to work its way onto your best of 2009 lists come December due to the less-than-urgent poignancy that is seemingly buried within deep layers of melodic punk rock rhythm. Like the Ramones playing in a ball pit with Jawbreaker and Dillinger Four, Banner Pilot are likely to set up a fun day at the park and then run away with it all by the end. Yes, you'll be caught off-guard, but the more you think about it, you'll remember how much fun you had.

Recommended if You LikeDillinger Four; The Lawrence Arms; Jawbreaker; early Alkaline Trio
Choice Cuts"Write it Down," "Farewell to Iron Bastards" and "Pensacola"

Track Listing1. Central Standard
2. Pensacola
3. Greenwood
4. Staring at an Ending
5. Skeleton Key
6. Northern Skyline
7. Drains to the Mississippi
8. Farewell to Iron Bastards
9. Empty Lot
10. Hold Me Up
11. Losing Daylight
12. Write it Down
Band MembersNick Johnson: vocals/guitar
Corey Ayd: guitar/vocals
Nate Gangelhoff: bass/guitar
Dan Elston: drums

Online VitalsOfficial Myspace
PurchaseAmazon MP3
This review is a user submitted review from Chris Fallon. You can see all of Chris Fallon's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
06:57 AM on 09/16/09
holybuble
User Info.
solid record!
06:57 AM on 09/16/09
robdobi
hates your guts.
User Info.
i thought this was awesome.
07:39 AM on 09/16/09
McIrish
Liver Alone
User Info.
Good Review.

You would think this type of record would get old quick, but thats not the case. I can't quit listen to this.
08:12 AM on 09/16/09
Burn That Shit
a strange turn of events
User Info.
A very good album, definitely in my top 5 for 2009.
09:33 AM on 09/16/09
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
10:25 AM on 09/16/09
johnismetal
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
it's nothing new, but this is still is a top ten for me. great songwriting & definite grower......twss.
10:35 AM on 09/16/09
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Love this album. Greenwood is one of my favorite songs of the year.
10:36 AM on 09/16/09
Alex_Burton
Paulson / Alex
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Such a cliche band. Do something that The Lawrence Arms aren't already doing please.

Or that Jawbreaker hasn't already done.
12:18 PM on 09/16/09
ddb43
User Info.
Such a cliche band. Do something that The Lawrence Arms aren't already doing please.

Or D4...get over it. This album rocks ass.
12:39 PM on 09/16/09
Alex_Burton
Paulson / Alex
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Or D4...get over it. This album rocks ass.
Or D4 is right. I actually reviewed this record for another site and gave it a rather poor rating. It's just a hackneyed version of a tired genre to me. I knew exactly what it sounded like before I even put it on.

But hey to each their own, right?
12:41 PM on 09/16/09
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
This genre is not tired. All Time Low's genre is tired. Not enough bands making this kind of no frills no gloss music.
01:04 PM on 09/16/09
streydogg
User Info.
Good album. Great Review. Love the avatar Scott. PROP!
01:05 PM on 09/16/09
streydogg
User Info.
beat you to it though way back haha
01:05 PM on 09/16/09
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.

You forgot Naked Raygun, who pre-empted both the Lawrence Arms and Dillinger Four.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos