Password

Album Review

Muse - The Resistance Album Cover

Muse - The Resistance

Reviewed by
Muse - The Resistance
Record Label: Warner Brothers Records
Release Date: September 15, 2009
This review is a user submitted review from Jeremy Aaron. You can see all of Jeremy Aaron's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 189
12:31 PM on 09/16/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Shitty album is shitty
12:35 PM on 09/16/09
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Does anyone else think Uprising sounds like a Britney Spears song?
12:44 PM on 09/16/09
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
Muse is one of my favorite bands. Your review made me a little disappointed to buy this later, but I'm still going to buy it and hear for myself...
01:46 PM on 09/16/09
tommy's ghost
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
7.5 for Matt Bellamy? Subjectivity be damned, I cannot comprehend that score.
02:03 PM on 09/16/09
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
I've seen almost nothing but ridiculous praise for this release...I dig, especially the title track.
02:10 PM on 09/16/09
11:11
Soft sound
User Info.
I don't really agree with this review. I loved the album, especially the last 3 tracks. Different strokes for different folks though I suppose
02:13 PM on 09/16/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
7.5 for Matt Bellamy? Subjectivity be damned, I cannot comprehend that score.
Without question, the guy has tremendous vocal ability. The problem I have is that he goes so out of his way to sound exaggeratedly operatic, it borders on comedic at times. It's like, just sing dude.
03:28 PM on 09/16/09
doppelganger
katy song
User Info.
cd is a let down. il stick with showbiz and origin of symmetry
03:30 PM on 09/16/09
zac21
User Info.
Resistance is an album. It is not meant to be cut up and listened to in different order. It flows from cover to cover. People will bash this album saying it sucks because it isn't littered with singles like Black Holes (which in my mind, was a shitty album). Resistance is much more on the same line as Absolution in that matter.

I'm sick of people hating on albums because they don't have song after song of singles.
03:50 PM on 09/16/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Resistance is an album. It is not meant to be cut up and listened to in different order. It flows from cover to cover. People will bash this album saying it sucks because it isn't littered with singles like Black Holes (which in my mind, was a shitty album). Resistance is much more on the same line as Absolution in that matter.

I'm sick of people hating on albums because they don't have song after song of singles.

On many occasions, my least favorite songs on an album are the singles. With this album, though, the songs that don't fit the single mold are transparently pompous faux-artsy garbage. To me, this album does work when you "cut it up" and pick and choose what you listen to. Forcing myself to listen to this in its entirety multiple times was an arduous task.
03:59 PM on 09/16/09
nescover
User Info.
Absolutely fantastic album. Can't stop listening to it.
04:56 PM on 09/16/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I do like it, just not as much as I thought I would. Either way, you argue your points well and speak in an intelligent and articulate manner. Great job, Jeremy!
05:38 PM on 09/16/09
mcalphabet
So it goes.
User Info.
I definitely feel like this is an album for the established Muse fan. Matt makes it clear that he goes for cheesy and over the top, and this is the music of sorts that Muse fans expect to hear. I do applaud them for taking more variety in the album which gives you more of a chance to like at least one song, unlike their earlier albums which tended to be a "love it or hate it" kind of deal. If I have one huge complaint, it's that Matt's head is now inflated to the size of France (thus his singing in "I Belong to You") and the focus is placed mainly on Matt where as earlier albums spread the love to all the guys. Still, I liked the album but nowhere as much as "Absolution" or "Origin of Symmetry." Good review.
06:16 PM on 09/16/09
Salamandrax
User Info.
i didn't like it all the first time i heard it, but it's growing on me.
it'll never stack up against OoS, Absolution & BHaR though...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos