AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Mathletes - Mathletes Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

Mathletes - Mathletes

Reviewed by: lemontie (09/17/09)
Mathletes - Mathletes
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: May 24, 2009

For a five track EP, this small, not relatively known band from Chicago sure know how to garner some attention. Their debut album (which is available free on their Myspace) was produced by Josh Cain from Motion City Soundtrack and Jordan Schmidt (who has done work for All Time Low, The Morning Light, and Sing It Loud), after all. And maybe it's a good thing that they get some recognition from people who matter, because this EP is, by definition, the best way to start a musical career.

Mathletes are most easily comparable to Motion City Soundtrack. With their upbeat moog/synth, catchy guitar riffs and Chris Hatem's rather unique (if not a bit nasally) voice and lyrics, they're not anything new, per se, in the powerpop genre. But they do a great job at making the genre not god-awfully boring. The whole EP is reminiscent of Motion City's Even If It Kills Me, with some more moog/synth and slightly darker lyrics. With some lyrics that aren't insanely creative ("I saw that look on your face as you walked away/I know, oh I know that you're all alone"), Mathletes does a good job at making them catchy. Singing along to the chorus, at the least, should come rather quickly. There are some gripes I have with Hatem's voice, but as long as you listen to them more, you'll begin to appreciate it.

For a band that hasn't been around too long, they've accomplished enough to make any band proud. Getting someone from a (more or less) big band producing some of their album, along with a big (more or less) producer on your first EP is something to take pride in. Their music is also something to take pride in. It's catchy, it's full of fun (and slightly dark) lyrics, and should surely get you singing along.

Recommended If You LikeMotion City Soundtrack; Ludo; any band with a lot of synth

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
08:35 PM on 10/05/09
rollerman4221
Woof!
User Info.
This EP is really catchy, I never get tired of listening to it
08:44 PM on 10/05/09
cory-182
User Info.
I enjoyed this. The fact that they gave it out for free should probably boost the score up a few points.
09:42 PM on 10/05/09
NFGDay182
User Info.
Very good EP! I downloaded it over the summer, and it still hasn't gotten old to me.
10:46 PM on 10/05/09
elmakias
Anyone can be a fisherman in May
User Info.
band rules, support them anyway possible.
11:04 PM on 10/05/09
HometownHero
User Info.
RIYL if you like any band with alot of synth. Wrong. Phoenix uses alot of synth. They are good. This band is not
01:33 AM on 10/06/09
kaduck2007
User Info.
Download this during the summer. Such a good ep. I would say they sound a lot more like Farewell than MCS, but thats just in my opinion. Nice review.
06:43 AM on 10/06/09
sonicfury
User Info.
such a good EP, not in the least bit original but so catchy it's insane, haven't stopped listening to it since i got it!
07:12 AM on 10/06/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
These guys are pretty good. I'm surprised by how much I've listened to it since I downloaded, but it's insanely catchy. Reminds me of older ATL mixed with Motion City.
09:59 AM on 10/06/09
So-Crates
Registered Member
User Info.
so good, probably my favourite ep of the year so far
02:06 PM on 10/06/09
iloveblink182
User Info.
saw them last week.
02:53 PM on 10/06/09
Randoh Musashi
MOM... THE MEATLOAF!
User Info.
Amazing band but the review needs a little work.. just my opinion don't take it the wrong way
05:55 PM on 10/06/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
Not a bad release. Definitely prefer the synth-pop bands in the vein of Motion City Soundtrack and The Reunion Show.
09:55 PM on 03/30/11
gjpinizz
Life With People
User Info.
what the heck happened to this band? this ep was really good
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives