Password

Album Review

Quietdrive - When All That's Left Is You Album Cover

Quietdrive - When All That's Left Is You

Reviewed by
QuietdriveWhen All That’s Left Is You
Release Date: May 30, 2006
Record Label: Epic

When it comes to rock, Quietdrive’s When All That’s Left Is You is like the marshmallows you find in Lucky Charms: while you know the actual cereal shit is probably good for you (i.e. all the cool indie bands), the marshmallows, oh-so-sugary and delightfully sinful, are the fun and delicious part. A mixture of pop bliss and alternative radio-readiness, Quietdrive’s debut full length won’t score you scene points on punk rock message boards; however, for those with a musical sweet tooth, this will definitely be your cup of tea—or should I say bowl of cereal?

This album is disappointing. No, not in terms of the songs—each track is an excellent pop song, but if you’ve been following Quietdrive for a while (and have overplayed their Rise From the Ashes EP like I have), then you’ll probably be a little upset to only find six actual new Quietdrive songs. All three songs from the EP have been included on the ten-song full length (the exact same versions too, except for an extended intro on “Rise From the Ashes”), as well as a cover of Cyndi Lauper’s “Time After Time.” While the cover is extremely well done, and almost sounds like it could’ve been another Quietdrive song, I’d much, much rather have an actual new song. Oh yeah, and the album clocks in at just over half an hour, so it’s over before you know it.

While the band’s Rise From the Ashes EP showcased three high-energy, up-tempo songs (“Rise From the Ashes, “Take a Drink,” “Maybe Misery”), When All That’s Left Is You most certainly explores other terrain. Quietdrive keeps things interesting by playing with tempos, dynamics, orchestral arrangements (vocalist Kevin Truckenmiller plays a mean violin live), and including all sorts of layers that one will only pick up on after repeated listens. The vocals are extremely strong and impassioned (great falsettos too), the production enormous, the songwriting catchy as hell: this is a great summer album.

As previously mentioned, I just wish there were more “new” songs on this album – that’s pretty much my only gripe. This is a really good pop record: if you like poppy stuff, you’ll probably like this, but if pop ain't your thing, then I wouldn’t suggest even coming close to this album. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go pour myself some Lucky Charms and get me some marshmallows.
This review is a user submitted review from Rohan Kohli. You can see all of Rohan Kohli's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
01:38 AM on 05/02/06
3milesdown
User Info.
mm mmm mmmm this band will be biggg
02:12 AM on 05/02/06
TEN>YOU
RKO!
User Info.
ive seen them live twice and have never been disappointed.
03:07 AM on 05/02/06
Snails
see the benefits.
User Info.
Haha, delicious.
07:15 AM on 05/02/06
Shatter_Glass
Take Apart Your Head
User Info.
Hmmmm Didn't Butch Walker produce this???
08:37 AM on 05/02/06
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by Shatter_Glass
Hmmmm Didn't Butch Walker produce this???

Only 2 songs
09:06 AM on 05/02/06
radiofriendly
stachy destroyer
User Info.
what an unbelievable live show.
11:02 AM on 05/02/06
kg00d
Hockey consumes my life
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm looking forward to this.
11:03 AM on 05/02/06
invincibleXL
sick hearts
User Info.
Originally Posted by Rohan Kohli
Only 2 songs

which songs were they?
11:28 AM on 05/02/06
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by invincibleXL
which songs were they?

"Get Up" for sure (prob my fav song on the CD) and I think "Take a Drink"
02:55 PM on 05/02/06
Chico
User Info.
Interesting review Rohan...can't wait till I get my copy.
07:10 PM on 05/02/06
1check_1love
True Punk Fan
User Info.
i saw them last month..pretty good live show. though, the lead singer's energy kinda freaks me out.
10:50 AM on 05/08/06
Shatter590
Shinigami Is Watching You
User Info.
my label almost signed their friends
09:20 AM on 05/11/06
Bdolla
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i am also really pumped for this album. they just posted the new version of "both ways" on their mysapce, i could see it being huge.. all of their songs given the right push could be huge though!

what label are you with and which band of their friends did you almost sign? i like a lot of the bands they play with, so im just curious...
11:26 PM on 05/16/06
rreddrop
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not impressed with what I've heard so far. Yes, the Fall From The Ceiling EP was quite good, but Both Ways had already been released as well as most of the other tunes on the album. Previous fans of this group will be extra disappointed because there is only 1 new song on this album for them. I am EXTRA disappointed that the album runs only a half hour. By todays standards, that is well below the lowest. This might be a pop record...but this band is capable of so much more.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos