AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Arctic Monkeys - Who the Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys? Album Cover

Arctic Monkeys - Who the Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys?

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
ARCTIC MONKEYS - Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys?

With every major music publication and their momma jumping on the bandwagon, it’s pretty easy for some of us to hate the Arctic Monkeys. Overrated and hype are two words that come hand in hand with this band these days, and with their debut album, Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not selling like hotcakes overseas and here in the United States, it’s not hard to fall into this mindset. But I’m here to advise not to. Not only is their debut album something special, their follow-up EP, Who The Fuck Are The Arctic Monkeys, follows in the same vein of smart, aggressive indie rock.

The EP begins with the same opening track of the LP, “The View From The Afternoon,” which starts fast and finishes faster, and is a great opener here as it is on the LP. “Cigarette Smoker Fiona” follows with a guitar line that chugs and drums that bash as Alex Turner’s thick vocals take control. “Dispair In The Departure Lounge” is a slow, echoing track that’s great to chill out to. “No Buses” starts with a simple, relaxing riff and is a mild, bouncy track that picks up at the end with a constant pounding on the drums. The final track, “Who The Fuck Are The Arctic Monkeys?,” begins with a bass line that grooves and more high guitar tones. At 3:17, the song takes on a slight dark tone thanks to Andy Nicholson’s bass and Turner’s vocals. The end of this song is the storm taking over the sunshine of the beginning, making it the standout track on this EP.

With this EP, the Arctic Monkeys bring a more relaxed sound to the table, and while I prefer the aggresive sound from the LP, this EP shows the versatility of the Arctic Monkeys. If you enjoy the LP, then you will enjoy Who The Fuck Are The Arctic Monkeys, but your only problem will be trying to locate a copy. Only available in the UK or the iTunes music store, your best bet for an actual retail copy will be to order it online. But take it from me, it is worth it either way you acquire it, as the Arctic Monkeys are showing us all that their fifteen minutes of fame aren’t up, but instead going into overtime. Don’t miss out on the hottest band of 2006, and get your hands on the LP and this EP.
Additional InformationTracklisting:
1. The View From The Afternoon
2. Cigarette Smoker Fiona
3. Dispair In The Departure Lounge
4. No Buses
5. Who The Fuck Are The Arctic Monkeys?

Arctic Monkeys are:
Alex Turner - vocals/guitarist
Jamie Cook - guitarist
Andy Nicholson - bass
Matt Helders - drums

Release Date: April 25, 2006
Record Label: Domino Records
Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
12:53 PM on 05/02/06
matt_rawlings
User Info.
Score, nice review. I posted this in the forums the day it came out and I think one person gave a shit (and it was junkbondtrader)
12:56 PM on 05/02/06
+adamo/videos__
User Info.
no buses is an amazing ballad.
01:08 PM on 05/02/06
JunkBondTrader
Judas seems sincere...
User Info.
fucking awesome band. get way more shit from people on this site than they deserve. only 19yrs old and so talented.
01:11 PM on 05/02/06
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by JunkBondTrader
fucking awesome band. get way more shit from people on this site than they deserve. only 19yrs old and so talented.
I haven't seen anything really about this band on this site.

But I'm not impressed.
01:22 PM on 05/02/06
IAPAI
User Info.
Originally Posted by tonton46
I haven't seen anything really about this band on this site.

But I'm not impressed.

it was mostly in the thread about Morrissey saying they achieved their fame too easily... there was a lot of hate in there.
01:24 PM on 05/02/06
splitsecond
Augustine / Evan
User Info.
ugh why. drew. why.
01:31 PM on 05/02/06
CWeezer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i'm fairly impressed with what i've heard from them so far, but i would like to see them live eventually. it'll be interesting to see where this band is in a year or two.
02:11 PM on 05/02/06
JunkBondTrader
Judas seems sincere...
User Info.
Originally Posted by splitsecondd
ugh why. drew. why.
i knew you would turn up. incredible EP.
02:26 PM on 05/02/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by splitsecondd
ugh why. drew. why.
Gotta agree with you. I don't enjoy this band at all.
02:32 PM on 05/02/06
fire on my lips
COME ON YOU SPURS
User Info.
Originally Posted by matt_rawlings
Score, nice review. I posted this in the forums the day it came out and I think one person gave a shit (and it was junkbondtrader)
i gave a shit too
02:45 PM on 05/02/06
FOBPrettyNPunk
Registered Member
User Info.
EP is great. Arctic Monkeys are fabulous.
02:58 PM on 05/02/06
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
I just dont get everyones addiction to this band...theyre alright i guess, but theres deffinitly at least a dozen bands like them that do what they do better that deserve the attention alot more
03:09 PM on 05/02/06
AndrewC12
User Info.
Really like this EP. Definately a more chilled out vibe compared with the album but as the review says it really shows versatility and an urge to get more music out to their fans as the album was written quite a while ago.
03:10 PM on 05/02/06
Tay.
sweet catastrophe
User Info.
Originally Posted by Tony Pascarella
Gotta agree with you. I don't enjoy this band at all.

:ditto:
Blech.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests