AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dead Girls Ruin Everything - What A Perfect Ending Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9
Production 7.25
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 86%

Dead Girls Ruin Everything - What A Perfect Ending

Reviewed by: Tony Pascarella (05/03/06)
Dead Girls Ruin Everything - What A Perfect Ending
Record Label: Reignition Recordings
Release Date: February 21, 2006

What A Perfect Ending is the debut album from Lawrence, Kansas-based Dead Girls Ruin Everything (who exist by way of Ultimate Fakebook). Despite their seemingly angst-derived name, this band plays bubble-gum filled powerpop, the likes of which modern music has not seen in years, if at all. Taking a page from R.E.M. and Elvis Costello in some ways, Dead Girls Ruin Everything have delicately constructed an album that will alternate between aurally punishing your ears and soothing them with a light touch. Alternating vocalists Cameron Hawk and JoJo Longbottom give What A Perfect Ending a stellar dynamic that always keeps the music fresh.

“And a day will come when you will not wake up/So go and have your fun/Abuse it all you want” implores one of Dead Girls’ two vocalists on “Never Too Late.” Punishing and delightful yet silky smooth with just the slight hint of roughness, Dead Girls Ruin Everything power their way through the next song, the title track. Quickly following, “Take the 1st Shot” is another solid track, although the aggressive fuzz of the guitars gets just a bit annoying by now (track eight). Longbottom and Hawk break into an effortlessly magical guitar outro to the song that is almost worth the 9 bucks to buy the CD. To take a break from the awesome guitar riffs we have been hearing, Eric Melin gets a chance to shine on “Short Fuse.” Oh, and for an added treat, we have both vocalists trading lines like something off a Taking Back Sunday b-side.

The first half of this album is loud, obnoxious, and great fun (look no further than “Hot Blonde”). This half is guitar-heavy, and allows the members of Dead Girls Ruin Everything to flex their musical muscles. The second half is aimed a bit more at the ballad side of things, although that formula is not set in stone. With “I Don’t Wanna Wake Up,” the band goes decidedly emo, walking the tightrope somewhere between The Get Up Kids, The Starting Line, and Jimmy Eat World with a completely killer guitar section. If there is one song on the second half of What A Perfect Ending that you will not want to miss, it’s “I Don’t Wanna Wake Up.” As a musical pick-me-up, “Dropped Catch” is pulverizing and ambitious for the band. Featuring a wall of noise at times that threatens to destroy your eardrums, this song is not for the faint of heart. Hard-rocking but retaining some pop sensibility, this one closes What A Perfect Ending with Dead Girls Ruin Everything in top form.

Simply put, you will find this album enjoyable if you like your music rugged yet catchy. The production is spotty at times, but some of that can probably be attributed to the sound the band was going for. At times though, it grates a bit on the ears. They bring the rock on this album, however, and that is the most important part. What A Perfect Ending will be overlooked, but do yourself a favor and pick up one of the catchiest albums so far in 2006.

Buy Dead Girls Ruin Everything's What a Perfect Ending on iTunes

Track List01. Hot Blonde
02. All Is Forgotten
03. Never Too Late
04. What A Perfect Ending
05. Had It With You
06. This Amp Goes To Zero
07. Make Me Smile
08. Take The First Shot
09. On A Lonely Note
10. Short Fuse
11. I Don't Want to Wake Up
12. Dropped Catch

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
06:22 AM on 05/03/06
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
Good review, I like quite a few songs from this album.
06:28 AM on 05/03/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by Mitch2742
Good review, I like quite a few songs from this album.
It's catchy, and I enjoy the album, but it could probably be a little bit better. That said, I like it more than Punchline (for example) and Hit the Lights.
07:43 AM on 05/03/06
suicidebride
I wish to be the friction
User Info.
Yah, my favourable songs from this album are ''Had it with you'' and ''Make me Smile''
I definately agree..they are all pretty catchy

GiLLian
09:19 AM on 05/03/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Despite their seemingly angst-derived name, this band plays bubble-gum filled powerpop, the likes of which modern music has not seen in years, if at all. Taking a page from R.E.M. and Elvis Costello in some ways.

I'm a bit confused by that statement.

I haven't heard of this band but I am going to check them out, I'll probably really like them, or hate them.
03:57 PM on 05/03/06
traumalikerain
Ragin Cajun
User Info.
:( i was hope-ing for the next best hardcore band. hahaha
08:20 AM on 05/09/06
michaeljennings
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I heard this was decent.
10:06 PM on 05/09/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Ultimate Facebook was great, this should be good too
09:36 PM on 05/12/06
NoPenguinsInPA
we're all jack slaps here
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by utman8
Ultimate Facebook was great, this should be good too

As much fun as a band with "Facebook" in the name sounds, I think you're looking for "Fakebook" there...
08:28 PM on 09/01/06
rockdoggdx
Wannabe Rock Star
User Info.
It's catchy, and I enjoy the album, but it could probably be a little bit better. That said, I like it more than Punchline (for example) and Hit the Lights.

blasphemy!
04:16 PM on 08/30/07
Prez04
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
very good stuff. they just played on campus here at K-State (ultimate fakebook's home) and it was good :).
cd is definitely a little heavy on grating, but i still love it!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests