AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: One Small Step For Landmines - 01.07.09

One Small Step For Landmines - 01.07.09

Interviewed by
One Small Step For Landmines - 01.07.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

One Small Step For Landmines [myspace]

1. How did you get your band name?
The name for the project came from a fine gentleman named August Paul who played drums on the first record. He is a genius when it comes to bad ideas and terrible band names, to the extent that I am constantly laughing when I am around him. This was one of his better plays on words.

2. How did this band get started?
The idea for the band started while I was still living in Los Angeles. I knew I wanted to make some sort of rhythmically interesting pop music and I knew just the right people to call to make it happen. Unfortunately they lived on the other side of the country. So, I moved to Florida and worked out some of the song ideas with August and we got really excited and called a fellow named Steve Leacock to come down to the studio and check out what we were up to. He is a fantastic musician and he agreed to lend a hand. We wrote and recorded an album and then headed out on the road. It was amazing how fast things fell into place.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I like a lot of different types of music, some of which is made by a lot of my close friends and that makes me almost as proud as entertained. At the end of the day I wouldn't say I sit down with my guitar and say, "Today I am going to write a song that sounds like the Clash." I like the clash very much but there's no conscious effort to let influences show through. That being said, the artists I have enjoyed for many years would have to be Bruce Springsteen, Jawbreaker and the Get Up Kids.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?

There are a few bands I would definitely like to see over and over again, but I am not so sure I want to be a part of their tour. Touring can get mundane and I would rather keep the mystique of not knowing if I'll ever get to see the Police.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?

If I were an animal with fur I'd be a badger because those little dudes (and dudettes) dont give a fuck and attack EVERYTHING. That's the only way to live life.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
I want people to listen to my music to be entertained and to feel like there is someone else out there who has done and felt and fucked up and gotten lost and distanced people and been down, just like they have. Although that statement doesn't read like a fairy-tale I think there's some honesty there and while I'd love to be the dude that makes everyone dance, I just don't know if I have it in me. I want you to lay on the ground, listen to a song and think about the present. It's pretty great.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I wrote one guitar lick on the first record that really surprised me. The rest of the song is pretty basic but that one part makes me smile with pride. I really don't think its game-worthy so I am going to keep my songs to myself and leave you guitar gods alone.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

If a grammy trophy were in my hands I would immediately say, "I'd like to thank my mom for telling me to stop playing guitar and go to bed all those nights in middle school and high school. I'd also really like to thank her for telling me that signing a record contract instead of finishing college was a bad idea and then I'd like to thank her once more for letting me move back home for a few months after I got burned by said record company. hahahahaha. It's been a long road and the list of people to thank could read like the dead sea scrolls.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

While I hate that people don't buy records anymore which seemingly is having a negative effect on all bands, I don't necessarily know its totally a bad thing. I am glad the majors don't have the 'end all be all' power they used to but I wish there was still a way to grow and develop a band and their songwriting that didn't have such a quick turnaround. Only giving a band one record to prove themselves is unfair.

10. Memorable tour experience?
One night on a tour with Look Mexico we went to a party at a house in Chicago. Everyone was feeling very merry, to say the least, and one of the roommates was a pretty horrible person, at least accord to all the other residents of the house. In a fit of rage, someone moved the refrigerator from its normal spot in the kitchen to block the door to this girl's room. She was stuck inside. Everyone forgot this happened until the morning when she somehow escaped and began yelling at everyone crashed out on the sofas and the floor. She was screaming things like,"'Get off my couch, motherfucker!" It was hilarious and scary and sad all at the same time. I'm not sure whatever happened to that girl. I signed my name on her door really small before we left. On a happier note, I was in Paris with Coheed and Cambria last year and Chris Pennie and I walked around all day. We left the hotel after lunch and didn't get back until close to midnight. We didn't want to see the sights or experience the town or anything of the sort; we just got completely lost and then it started raining and then we started getting hustled by these chicks. It was all pretty terrible at the time. We laughed about it a few days later and I was glad to have been living at that moment. I'll never think of Paris the same way again.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

I have been checking in/on AP.net for a about 6 years now. I receive my daily dose of music news and I'm off to the races. I think the website has opened up a lot of people eyes to issues and bands that are well deserving of praise and recognition. On the flip-side, sometimes I see crap posted, like someone hooking up with someone else's girlfriend (Who cares? That has nothing to do with anything.) I guess it has something for everyone.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

My favorite song to play ever is a tune called 'Chesterfield King' by Jawbreaker. I have played it many times at shows and I still love it. The way the verses go into the chorus, it builds so wonderfully, and I enjoy the lyrics. A tune about a girl.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I have had the good fortune to tour all over the world. That being the case, I'll never vacation again. Going somewhere with no purpose except to be there seems silly to me. I'd rather book a tour and see the 'real' city.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

My parents listened to a lot of what would now be considered 'classic rock' when I was a kid. Anything on the radio from that era makes me think of driving around in a truck with my dad, him smoking cigarettes and playing drums on the steering wheel, hair blowing in the wind. What a classic dude.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

I don't want any super powers at all. HA! I am afraid of heights, so flying is out of the question. I don't want to know what people are thinking because, well, there are just things I'd rather not know. I don't want to be invisible because that would get me in trouble. And I don't want to hurt anyone, so shooting stuff from my eyes or elsewhere wouldn't do me much good.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I don't feel like I have 'made it' by any means. Realistically I don't think I ever will. But if I can keep playing shows and can maintain an outlet for releasing music, then I will be content with art and life. At the end of the day, what is 'making it' anyway? A huge paycheck? Once an artist loses the drive they started with, I'm sure plenty of people would agree, their efforts seemingly become increasingly watered down and contrived. After all, why rip up the meal ticket when the food just started getting good? A video director friend of mine once told me, "This is my art, sometimes I eat from it, most of the time I starve for it." That is the most honest position to be in.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Most fans have no idea that I have an extreme fascination with college football. I went to Florida State University and it all really began there. They are a football school and I caught the fever. I watch as many games of as many teams as I can get my hands on during the season and this year I am pleased to report I have seen almost every single bowl game. Those boys play hard and fast, that's the way I like it.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
I like dressing ridiculous and I love candy. Halloween is almost more exciting for me than my birthday, which is another of my favorite holidays, I think plenty of my pals would agree. I hope it doesn't seem vain, but I like to throw a good party for myself and my friends on my birthday. It's a present to me to see people I love enjoying themselves.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
In my spare time I try and schedule things to do to make sure I don't have any more spare time for a while.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

All the talents I possess in this world I try out on my parents; juggling, high jumping, blind sewing. Most of the time they tell me to "never let anyone know you can do that" and that's where it ends.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
04:49 PM on 09/24/09
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Seems like a good dude. That full-length in question wasn't great, but it definitely had its moments. Could definitely see the next one being out-and-out good.
05:32 PM on 09/24/09
Wisher
eh
User Info.
I feel like I love chesterfield king covers more than anything in the world and I want to hear his.
05:42 PM on 09/24/09
Mochem
User Info.
I love Northstar's Chesterfield King Cover. I like One Small Step For Landmines, so that should be pretty good too.
11:29 PM on 09/24/09
MikeBass
User Info.
Great answer on number 8...Ah Standstill, check em out if you are lucky enough to find some of their tracks. A diamond in the rough to say the least. Can't complain because we are now all blessed with OSSFL.
05:22 AM on 09/25/09
James RE Hughey
User Info.
Great answer on number 8...Ah Standstill, check em out if you are lucky enough to find some of their tracks. A diamond in the rough to say the least. Can't complain because we are now all blessed with OSSFL.
THIS.
07:37 AM on 09/25/09
MikeBass
User Info.
Figured my last post was kind of a tease so here is a Standstill track...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/o0b9vr

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version