AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.63
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.63
Production 9.38
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.63
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

Reviewed by: Dymytry Vance (09/26/09)
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
Record Label: Sub Pop
Release Date: June 3, 2008

A dark forest is awoken and illuminated by the day's sunrise, as the birds chirp away and the animals come out and live. This is a calm and tranquil forest inhabited only by the animals who live there, and Fleet Foxes. Their self-titled LP holds a special value of production, such a placelessness, which allows a more rustic, more natural and vintage feel to come to the album than would otherwise be possible. Using such a reverb and or sepia tone is a major plus to this album, and allows the vocals of Robin Pecknold, Nicholas Peterson, Casey Wescott, and Craig Curran to shine through. Not excluded are the guitars of Pecknold, Skyler Skjelset, the bass played by Curran, the keyboards by Wescott, the drums and percussion executed wonderfully by Peterson, and the small amount of flute by Gwen Owen on the track "Your Protector."

While the LP so obviously draws influence from folk, acoustic, '60s rock, baroque pop, and several other genres, the band puts together these genres into a welcoming amalgam that works beautifully when it comes to making aural pleasure.

Such gems as "Tiger Mountain Peasant Song" is a lovely piece that features voice and a lone acoustic guitar. The ambiguous lyrics that trigger visions of fairy-tales blend beautifully with the vocals which switch to a falsetto at the end. “Your Protector” is easily the most intense and emotional piece on the album, including the regular instruments expected from the quintet and Owen's delightful nuances via flute.

Throughout this album I can only think of wandering throughout the woods. The phrase “All who wander are not lost” really comes into play, as Peterson's skills behind the kit and with his hefty amount of percussion act as a guide throughout the tracks, and seem to keep the frequently changing, however coherent (which is always a plus) musicianship. As the album unravels, the songs do occasionally blend together, but with such standouts as “Oliver James,” Pecknold's emotion and passion segue beautifully into the track, which holds a ring of nostalgia. The lyrics here shine, as he sings about old tables, grandfathers, and as he continues to construct these ambiguous lyrics, the album is over. It's obvious by the end that Fleet Foxes are up in arms to create new music, that hopefully will not disappoint. This album sure didn't.

Recommended If You LikeAmalgams of 60's rock, acoustic, folk, indie, and baroque pop.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
02:25 PM on 10/08/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
I can't believe how short this review is. My shortest one, perhaps?
04:56 PM on 10/08/09
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
a short review for an album like this doesn't = bad. fleet foxes is more so meant to be absorbed and not analyzed to death
06:47 PM on 10/08/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
a short review for an album like this doesn't = bad. fleet foxes is more so meant to be absorbed and not analyzed to death
So I guess I did alright? I kind of got that feeling, but I didn't know that the second paragraph was so short and almost useless.

EDIT: A more of a summarization of Pitchfork basically, just less hyperbolic and more 15 year old.
03:28 PM on 10/09/09
brenByah
Welcome to the Blue Hell
User Info.
The vocals are exquisite, having J. Tillman in the band now will only add another fantastic voice to the mix.
05:16 PM on 10/09/09
GeeBee
Tertium Non Datur
User Info.
Too low a score. I'd say this album deserves something in the 90's.
05:35 PM on 10/09/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Too low a score. I'd say this album deserves something in the 90's.
No, you fail.
05:39 PM on 10/09/09
brenByah
Welcome to the Blue Hell
User Info.
I'd definitely give the vocals around a 9 or higher, these vocal harmonies are incredible. They make the record for me.
05:40 PM on 10/09/09
GeeBee
Tertium Non Datur
User Info.
Yes. I win.

Two can play at this game

But seriously, pretty good review, anyhow.
05:50 PM on 10/09/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
I'd definitely give the vocals around a 9 or higher, these vocal harmonies are incredible. They make the record for me.
Me too, but after listening to this record for once a week for however long I've had it, the vocals get tiring and stale.
05:52 PM on 10/09/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Yes. I win.

Two can play at this game

But seriously, pretty good review, anyhow.
Thanks, now I win.

My first "indie" review.
06:20 PM on 10/09/09
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
the melodies! this album is beautiful.
02:29 PM on 10/11/09
Holly HoX!
User Info.
How the hell is this in the low 80s?
08:01 PM on 10/11/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
How the hell is this in the low 80s?
What, you disagree?
02:07 PM on 10/12/09
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Absolutely. I would put this album in the low- to mid-90s. An 8.5 for vocals is criminally low.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums