Password

Album Review

Islands - Vapours Album Cover

Islands - Vapours

Reviewed by
IslandsVapours
Record Label: ANTI- Records
Release Date: September 22, 2009
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Listening to Vapours makes me wonder how I ever liked Arm’s Way. Islands are at their best when Nick Thorburn’s love of easygoing pop wraps itself around his other love of strangely deep lyricism. Arm’s Way became “crutch music” almost instantaneously. Its creepy darkness leans heavily on a very specific mood, and it turns out finding oneself in that mood is sort of like winning a lottery if the cash prize is actually a shit prize. So consider this a retraction.

Vapours begins with Islands’ version of a bright, smiling face. A tribal guitar riff – get off my back, I’m trying here – showers us in sunlight before achingly sweet falsettos meld into one happy note. I don’t know how much of this tone change can be attributed to Jamie Thompson’s return, but let’s just hope that he never leaves Thorburn again. And then there’s the 80’s electronics of “No You Don’t". The song keeps the lackadaisical delivery of Arm’s Way, which works as a wonderful counterpart to the uplifting tropical vibe. "Vapours" finds Islands reaffirming their own mission statement: simple pop with a brain! Trumpets back Thorburn as his lyricism takes a cliched concept and gives it legs: “It’s the bassline in your mind / It’s a sexy way to cry / You know I had my share of doubt / Until I saw the Vapours in your eyes.” An Islands album doesn’t have to explode in our face to garner attention. Here songs just need two or three well-crafted ingredients to leave long lasting impressions.

It wouldn’t be a 2009 indie album without some autotune, and that’s what we find on “Heartbeat.” The slightly druggy vibe – another one of Islands’ strong points – gives this tired trick new life. And then comes Thorburn’s catchiest song since Human Highway’s “The Beach.” “The Drums” take another blah concept (sirens?!) and melds it into toe-tapping delight by layering heavily produced drums and the semi-chorus of, “Bruised skin / I can’t take another hit / Without you.” Although the longer songs (“On Foreigner” and, especially, “Disarming The Car Bomb”) work, it’s the brief ones that make Vapours so instantly enjoyable. The allure and head-scratching might be gone. The inner turmoil might have (mostly, umm, sorta) faded away. (Hell, the closer is called “Everything Is Under Control.”) Feel at ease though, you won’t miss any of that crap. Instead, Vapours has ensured the future of this band.

Recommended If You Like: Unicorns, Washed Out, smelling fly, Anything That Came Out in the Summer of 2009, Super Furry Animals, The Rural Alberta Advantage

Life of Leisurewww.myspace.com/islandsareforever

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
12:42 AM on 09/29/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
synths on this album are so good
06:18 AM on 09/29/09
Pawan1993
Change isn't the same as progress
User Info.
Wow, I actually like it. So far so good from Myspace. I might actually get it. Might be a sleeper at the end of the year.
09:01 AM on 09/29/09
WakingTheMisery
XCXMAS
User Info.
Better than I hoped.
09:03 AM on 09/29/09
perceptrons
[ ]
User Info.
I thought this was coming out next week! Can't wait to download this when I get home tonight.
09:07 AM on 09/29/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i won't tell anyone you posted in a review thread. your secret is safe with me.
09:08 AM on 09/29/09
briewer
sunonthesand.com
User Info.
Is it as good as Return To The Sea? And yes, Thompson and Thorburn have been an unstoppable music making force since their days as the Unicorns.
09:10 AM on 09/29/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Is it as good as Return To The Sea? And yes, Thompson and Thorburn have been an unstoppable music making force since their days as the Unicorns.
it's certainly closer in tone to that album. not sure if it's "better" though. It's way better than Arm's Way though
09:12 AM on 09/29/09
briewer
sunonthesand.com
User Info.
it's certainly closer in tone to that album. not sure if it's "better" though. It's way better than Arm's Way though
Okay, because I loved Return... but I wasn't too hot on Arm's Way. That's good to hear, I'll probably be picking this up in the next day or two.
09:15 AM on 09/29/09
WakingTheMisery
XCXMAS
User Info.
i won't tell anyone you posted in a review thread. your secret is safe with me.
I post in Drew's all the time! Mostly just because they make me laff.
09:16 AM on 09/29/09
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Great review, might be checking this out.
However..

"The inner turmoil might have (moistly, umm, sorta) faded away."
Dunno if that was supposed to say 'mostly' or not..
Nice use of 'lackadaisical' though haha.
09:18 AM on 09/29/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Great review, might be checking this out.
However..

"The inner turmoil might have (moistly, umm, sorta) faded away."
Dunno if that was supposed to say 'mostly' or not..
Nice use of 'lackadaisical' though haha.
correct me again and i will end you
09:22 AM on 09/29/09
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
correct me again and i will end you

Hey, there was a compliment in there..
09:26 AM on 09/29/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.

Hey, there was a compliment in there..
now you're really pushing it. last thing i need is self-esteem.
09:34 AM on 09/29/09
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
now you're really pushing it. last thing i need is self-esteem.
Two of them actually, now that I look at it again.
Mmkay..from now on I won't help you or give you compliments. Good?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos