Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Weekly Nostalgia: Engine Down

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (09/30/09)
There's something haunting about Engine Down's music that crawls under the skin, and only heightens the senses enough to be carried along and never blown away from each intricate detail. In 1996, four men emerged from Richmond, Virginia with a vibrant sound: vocalist/guitarist Keeley Davis, drummer Cornbread Compton, bassist Jason Wood and guitarist Jonathan Fuller. After their first two albums, Engine Down crafted Demure, a 45-minute sonic ride of rhythmic bites backed by superb guitar aftertaste. The band disbanded after their self-titled record, but managed to have their final tour documented in a DVD which surfaced last year entitled From Beginning to End. While the members have moved on to other great projects (most notable, Davis' work with Sparta), one can't forget the short, but powerful legacy the band has left behind as artists. I was lucky enough to see the band on a tour supporting the release of their self-titled album, and only about 15 people showed up. I've always wished there was more, but it was intimate, and a fond memory that will forever be kept.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
09:49 AM on 09/30/09
Johnnydcp
User Info.
Such a great band. The singer's voice really is pretty interesting. Wish they were still around.
09:54 AM on 09/30/09
jrtbighurt
[SOMEONEcallANambulance]
User Info.
Loved these guys. I almost saw them in Syracuse on time, but when I showed up a the venue they canceled that date (the other bands still played)! I think they were sick or something, can't remember, but I was pissed either way.
09:55 AM on 09/30/09
patentpending
http://www.mattskibafans.com/
User Info.
Strangely enough these guys made one of my favorite songs ever and I hardly ever listen to them on a regular basis. I really need to get on that.
10:13 AM on 09/30/09
KingsCrossing
What are you waiting for?
User Info.
So good. Glos is good as well, but not quite the same.
10:29 AM on 09/30/09
live4music
Digitally Bathing
User Info.
WOW! Talk about a band I forgot about!
10:51 AM on 09/30/09
maryelizbeth
Allegorical Figure of Wisdom
User Info.
great band.
11:05 AM on 09/30/09
craigboliver
I Am Shark
User Info.
i seriously listen to Demure everyday. Songbird is such a sick opening track. miss these fuckers.
11:33 AM on 09/30/09
jollysurrender
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
engine down was absolutely incredible
12:31 PM on 09/30/09
justlikehoney
that's why you always leave a note.
User Info.
i loved denali, guess i should check these guys out
12:31 PM on 09/30/09
TALKERmusic
TALKERmusic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I saw these Engine Down opening for Cursive when The Ugly Organ came out, with Minus the Bear supporting. That was my introduction to them and Minus the Bear. Fell in love with them and drove up from Ft. Lauderdale to Ybor city see them play with Decahedron, and Moments of Grace. Best show ever.
12:34 PM on 09/30/09
AnEraWeEmbrace
That is alright, I suppose.
User Info.
Surprised to see this here. Demure and Engine Down are still two of my favourite albums ever. Miss these guys a lot.
12:34 PM on 09/30/09
James to Feel
It sure made me feel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Self titled will go down as one of my favorite records of all time. They grew so much between Demure and that one.. Keeley and Cornbread were ultra talented guys. Also the Denali Records were Amazing. I saw ED play at the Troubadour for the S/T release and they just CRUSHED.. They always were amazing live and had a unqiue spot in the whole indie scene.. I wish them and Shiner would get back together so bad..
12:47 PM on 09/30/09
ArmaniMassacre
Death Defying Musician
User Info.
i miss this band so much....Demure didn't leave my cd player for about two years after it came out. thank you ap, for posting about such an amazing band that most people either don't know of, or have completely forgot about....
01:12 PM on 09/30/09
ivebeendegaused
User Info.
Richmond.....
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles