Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Encores -- Your Thoughts

Posted by: Anton Djamoos (10/01/09)
Your favorite band has just finished the last song from their set, said their goodbyes and thanks yous, and walked off the stage. The performance was great; you want more, as does the rest of the crowd. So you cheer and cheer and cheer, possibly chanting "Play more songs!" The band obliges to your demands and comes back on stage and plays a few more songs.

This is the encore, a way of a band to reward their fans for sticking around and to give them a little something more. Oftentimes a band will save some of their lesser-played songs in the encore so, while some are leaving the venue to avoid traffic, the hardcore fans are given a rare treat. What was the best encore experience you've had?

Also, do you think they may be getting too played out? Think about it--do they really mean anything anymore? It's a given that you're going to see an encore most of the time, with some bands even putting the encore songs on their set list, visible to all; you know they will play them regardless of crowd demand/applause. The things used to be a way to reward the most rabid fans, and the best crowds--now they just seem to be another cliche. Have encores lost their luster from what they once were? Are you ever surprised by an encore?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 300.
07:12 AM on 10/01/09
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
I am never surprised by an encore anymore, nor do I think they have any meaning anymore. I would love to see encores phased out of performances, and if I ever get to a point in playing where I could potentially play an encore, I would not (UNLESS [and this is a big unless] it is under the terms of what an encore is supposed to be). I hate hate HATE seeing encores included in the setlist.
07:12 AM on 10/01/09
LastDeclaration
mmm tasty
User Info.
Finch - What It Is to Burn
07:13 AM on 10/01/09
muttley
Drop all your things and go outside
User Info.
I think all of the encores I've experienced were written down on the band's set-list. Don't think that counts.
07:14 AM on 10/01/09
ship of fools
hello
User Info.
Freebird?
07:14 AM on 10/01/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
All I know is that when I saw The Gentlemen last year at their album release show I was really annoyed that they didn't come out and play an encore. Despite everyone standing there and shouting for a couple of minutes. Really disappointing.

Anberlin played a good encore when I saw them in Manchester last year. Manchester Orchestra's Andy Hull played two of his own acoustic tracks as an encore when I saw them too. That was a beautiful moment.
07:15 AM on 10/01/09
ACA
Next Show: Silverstein @ NYC 4/25
User Info.
Bruce did the encore right last night. He didn't walk off stage.. he just said thanks, then finished with another six or seven songs (including fan requests).

Encores should only happen when a band has exhausted their scheduled set, and then feels like treating the crowd. Playing the same songs night after night, encore after encore, is just cheesy. A ton of bands do it, though.

-ACA
07:16 AM on 10/01/09
Lirr168
isn't racist - he has color tv
User Info.
It would be nice to get a truly spontaneous and deserved encore, but I think some bands still do it right, even when it is on the set list. TSL was really good about mixing songs up a little bit and just generally having fun with the encore, not really sticking to a specific script or anything.
07:16 AM on 10/01/09
mun04ch86kin
team fopa
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've been to too many concerts to think of one encore that really sticks out in my mind.

I think they've defiently lost their meaning, now its just expected that the band is going to come out and play some more songs.
07:17 AM on 10/01/09
The Old Black
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Bruce did the encore right last night. He didn't walk off stage.. he just said thanks, then finished with another six or seven songs (including fan requests).

Encores should only happen when a band has exhausted their scheduled set, and then feels like treating the crowd. Playing the same songs night after night, encore after encore, is just cheesy. A ton of bands do it, though.

-ACA
I think the idea behind an encore is good, but at the same time you always want to leave people wanting more. This is kind of the thin line for me. As someone in a band, you want people to feel like they need to see you again.
07:17 AM on 10/01/09
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
I am never surprised by an encore anymore, nor do I think they have any meaning anymore. I would love to see encores phased out of performances, and if I ever get to a point in playing where I could potentially play an encore, I would not (UNLESS [and this is a big unless] it is under the terms of what an encore is supposed to be). I hate hate HATE seeing encores included in the setlist.
I didn't even read your post...that avatar is too awesome!!!
07:18 AM on 10/01/09
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I hate the idea of a planned encore. It's really just become an excuse to get the crowd level of excitement up again. Play your set, if people want more, they'll let you know. The planned double-encore is even more annoying...
07:18 AM on 10/01/09
Sloth7
Kitton Mittons
User Info.
Some bands like Every Time I Die don't even do encores, but for the most part, I do like them. Bottom line, even though they're all assumed and often planned on the set list, it's more music to hear. Plus, you get to re-experience the lights going down and the band coming out to the stage and the crowd going wild, that's always a pretty cool feeling.

A band like Pearl Jam actually plays close to half their set in encores, in the end it's fun, but not really surprising anymore.
07:20 AM on 10/01/09
squared82
why burn poor and lonely?
User Info.
I'm actually more surprised now when a band doesn't play an encore.
07:21 AM on 10/01/09
RobisLegend
I miss The Movielife
User Info.
Best Encore I've experienced- Coheed & Cambria- NY NeverEnder Nights I & IV, simply because I doubt anyone had a clue of what to expect. Night I was a face-melter for sure, while Night IV was just ridiculous, and you could actually see the band truly enjoying the crowd's repsonse and enjoying themselves (and hell, after for epic nights, who can blame them!)

However, most encores nowadays are pretty much a given, whether written on a set list or not. Truthfully, I'd rather they just phase out the encore and add those songs to the normal set list. They are not "faking out" the crowd, we all know you're coming back- hell 99% of the time we can see you in the wings having a some water/soda/beer, counting the seconds til you come back!

Encores were rewards or rare treats. Please return them to such. Or have the testicular fortitude to walk off stage and stay off stage. I'd probably be way more impressed if that happened.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests