AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Blessthefall - Witness Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.32
Musicianship 7.93
Lyrics 8.04
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.04
Lasting Value 8.11
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Average: 82%
Inside AP.net

Blessthefall - Witness

Reviewed by: HCO SF 87 (10/02/09)
Blessthefall - Witness
Record Label: Fearless
Release Date: October 6, 2009

Blessthefall are a 5-piece post-hardcore band from Pheonix, Arizona, who gained popularity in 2007 after releasing His Last Walk. In late 2007, lead vocalist Craig Mabbit left the band due to personal issues. They eventually picked up Beau Bokan (formerly of Take the Crown) and signed with Fearless Records. Their newest release, Witness, keeps the same style of hard-hitting guitars and soaring vocals, but pushes everything just a bit further.

If you were a fan of His Last Walk, you’re going to like Witness. It’s similar to Walk, but everything is kicked up a notch-- the breakdowns are more pulverizing, the lead riffs more intricate, the clean vocals more edgy. The album has a very epic feel to it, with many songs starting with distorted build-ups that charge into breakdowns, accompanied by vocalist Jared Warth’s brutal, though sometimes overused, screams. In addition to this are powerful and even catchy choruses, along with interludes and bridges where everything slows down, really showcasing Bokan’s passionate vocals.

Witness starts off with a great little intro, aptly titled “2.0.” It’s essentially a one-minute breakdown that really gets you pumped for the tracks that follow. "What’s Left of Me” is the second track and second single off the album. It’s a well-rounded song with an equal mix of singing and screaming coupled with some fast shredding and solid drum work. “Hey Baby, Here’s That Song You Wanted” is a standout track on the album as well, due to its great guitar lines and an infectious chorus. It’s also a nice change of pace, since it’s one of only a couple tracks without screaming. This is followed by "Witness," the heaviest track on the album and probably the heaviest song BTF have ever done. “To Hell & Back” and “We’ll Sleep When We’re Dead,” the demos that have been on Blessthefall’s Myspace for quite awhile, are on here and sound great, thanks to some crisp production. The album has a fitting close with “Stay Still,” a somewhat tamer song on the album, though not without the signature breakdown.

This is an album that Blessthefall fans have waited a long time for and it definitely isn’t a let down. Sure, it’s not exactly the most diverse album, and some of the screaming gets tiring to a point, but it’s a collection of fun songs to blast and make your parents question your music taste even more than they already do.

Recommended If You LikeSilverstein; A Day to Remember; Saosin’s S/T

Choice CutsWhat’s Left of Me; Skinwalkers; Five Ninety; Hey Baby, Here’s That Song You Wanted

myspace.com/blessthefall

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10.
08:26 PM on 10/19/09
nemosk82
User Info.
07:26 AM on 10/20/09
Handraa
Bestfriend means I pull the trigger
User Info.
Still trying to get into this.
02:46 PM on 10/20/09
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
I love this album.

Beau is way better than Craig
09:32 AM on 10/21/09
Liz8492
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I loved this album so much.
Every song was amazing.
Definitely one of my favorite albums of the whole year.
11:27 PM on 10/21/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love this album.

Beau is way better than Craig
Agree
07:03 AM on 10/22/09
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
well, two user reviews, both positive... i'm getting interested... a little :D
08:31 AM on 10/22/09
bob.osos
BOB!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this really is a great album. I could never really get into BTF before this but they really have defined their sound with this one. My only beef is an excess of double kick, nobody needs that many 32nd bass drum notes
06:01 PM on 01/18/10
Dystroxia
We found love in a hopeless place
User Info.
HLW was terrible honestly, the screams were the only decent part.

Witness is so much better.
02:52 PM on 08/03/11
BORDERLiNES
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's unbelievably clear to see how much better the band is with Beau than Craig. I'm pumped for 'Awakening'.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests