Password

Album Review

Ruth - Anorak Album Cover

Ruth - Anorak

Reviewed by
Ruth - Anorak
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records
Release Date: October 28, 2008

Have you ever had an epiphany that everything was going to work out on its own? Where you know that life is more than just about waking up just to fall asleep again? Or that love is the most important thing, and that without it we are nothing but flesh and bones? This feeling is resonated through my heart when listening to both Secondhand Dream and Anorak by Ruth. Over the past year, I've fallen in love with Ruth's music.

They have a simple formula for writing music, but the melodies are so catchy and endearing, it's impossible to ignore. The music just makes you feel good about life, especially when everything around you feels like it's crashing. They emulate what music is supposed to make you feel. It's not about the latest fad, how complex your music can get, how poetic and deep your lyrical composition is, or how artistic your cover is; it's about being who you are, playing what you know, and staying true to who you are. Just stop trying to impress everyone. This is what I love about Ruth. They're fearless when it comes to writing simple songs that create a lasting impact.

Dustin Ruth's writing has no merit for poetic mastery, but he surely has a soothing and compassionate voice. Very laid back and melodic, like when my mom used to sing me lullabies to help me sleep when I was very young. The guitars are nothing to shout about, lacking complexity, but their overall goal doesn't call for unusual time signatures and technical loops, they're just living the moment. It's almost as if they could play each track live, then record it without any faults. This doesn't make it any less of a great album.

Ruth didn't quite meet the bravado of "Secondhand Dreaming" with their sophomore attempt, but let it be known that "Anorak" is a piece of art in its own right. The songs just didn't quite grab me like their debut did. No worries, though, still worth a listen.

Recommended If You LikeRuth's Secondhand Dreaming, Nevertheless's In the Making, This Beautiful Republic's Perceptions
This review is a user submitted review from inthemidst. You can see all of inthemidst's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
04:57 PM on 10/30/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
I haven't listened to this but own their debut. Probably should check it out.
09:03 PM on 10/30/09
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
Quote:
The songs just didn't quite grab me like their debut did.

My thoughts exactly.
09:22 PM on 10/30/09
trappedintime
Yea, you were right about me
User Info.
Was a good release but liked their debut better.
10:48 PM on 10/19/12
Oliver Siiteri
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Horrible cover :P

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT