Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Weekly Nostalgia: Botch

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (10/07/09)
Supposedly Norma Jean ripped them off. Fans can't stop yelling their name out at Minus the Bear, Narrows, and (case in point, last night) These Arms Are Snakes shows. Everyone and your mom wants to see at least one more show from them. Botch are held on the high end by metal heads, post-hardcore nuts and mathematicians/digital fiends. Born in the depths of Tacoma, Washington (not Seattle) bassist Brian Cook, drummer Tim Latona, vocalist Dave Verellen, and guitarist Dave Knudson brought a ferocious sound that was both pummeling to the chest, and creative to that ol' medulla oblongata. After countless 7" records and demos, the band released The Unifying Themes of Sex, Death and Religion in 1997 and American Nervoso in 1998, but it would be 1999's We Are the Romans that would define the next decade of thoughtful hardcore both to the masses and the underground boiling over. Watching any video of the band performing "Transitions From Persona to Object" sums up the evidence of what was, and what many of the members took into their new projects. After releasing An Anthology of Dead Ends in 2002, the band played their final show in June that year. Luckily for those of us who missed it, a recording of it was captured and released in 2006 as a CD/DVD, 061502. Botch isn't for everyone, but for those willing to dig back to their elders, maybe you'll see what was, and will never be.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 98.
07:45 AM on 10/07/09
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
"Transitions From Persona to Object"
07:57 AM on 10/07/09
Travis Parno
my sensible heart
User Info.
how they kept track of those rhythms has always been a mystery to me. this band fucking kills.
07:57 AM on 10/07/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Loved Botch. We Are the Romans is where it's at for sure.
07:58 AM on 10/07/09
Kbuff
User Info.
this band fucking kills.

Nothing else to be said.
07:59 AM on 10/07/09
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Pleasantly surprised to see this here. Awesome band.
08:01 AM on 10/07/09
briantalife
Brian Marquis
User Info.
one of my favorite bands. i think deadguy and starkweather are also in the same boat as paving the way for bands like norma jean, the chariot, underoath etc etc.
08:01 AM on 10/07/09
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
how they kept track of those rhythms has always been a mystery to me. this band fucking kills.
agreed. I bring up the reunion thing though because I didn't ask Brian from TAAS last night about a reunion, as much as I asked him if it ever got tiring to keep hearing about it. He said he hates hearing it in bad taste, and of course, at their show last night, someone was being a real dick about it. All their new bands (Roy, These Arms Are Snakes, Narrows, Russian Circles, Minus the Bear) you can hear influences in them. I just think people should move on. Maybe we'll see something one day, but give it a rest. I'm excited about seeing Sunny Day tonight and the Jesus Lizard next month, but these things happen in time, or don't happen at all...that's life.

FYI: That TAAS interview is 40 minutes long...will surface at the end of the month...
08:03 AM on 10/07/09
jake_rm
Unregistered User
User Info.
Anyone who likes all this metalcore better recognize.
08:03 AM on 10/07/09
jtyexists9
We shouldnt have abandoned dreaming
User Info.
Botch is amazing, "harder" bands these days need to learn from these guys instead of just throwing a keyboardist in for originality.

Maybe Norma did rip them off a bit but I'd rather have a band that sounds similar to Botch than another shitty band like Drop Dead, Gorgeous.
08:04 AM on 10/07/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Botch were truly one of a kind. We Are The Romans was one of those albums that changed how I look at music.
08:05 AM on 10/07/09
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
Botch is amazing, "harder" bands these days need to learn from these guys instead of just throwing a keyboardist in for originality.

Maybe Norma did rip them off a bit but I'd rather have a band that sounds similar to Botch than another shitty band like Drop Dead, Gorgeous.
this. O' God is a favorite, and I look at it as more of a homage than a rip-off...I wish people would stop bitching about it...
08:07 AM on 10/07/09
ajayatepaint
AJ
User Info.
I'm going to go punch someone in the face as a sign of respect
08:08 AM on 10/07/09
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
Love Botch.

People always claimed that Fear Before's Art Damage was a botch ripoff, but I don't agree.
08:09 AM on 10/07/09
Simulcast
You can't kill us all
User Info.
Actually FBTMOF did rip off botch. Listen to Art Damage. It's like a clinic on stealing riffs.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS