Password

Album Review
The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Fruit Album Cover

The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Fruit

Reviewed by
The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Fruit
Record Label: Small Giants
Release Date: Oct. 27, 2009
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
You've probably heard Absolute 100 band The Asteroids Galaxy Tour at least once this year without ever realizing it was them. That will most certainly change though once you get seconds into the ubiquitous splash "Around the Bend." The very second those infectious horns start sliding through the stratosphere, your memory will most certainly be jogged to a certain Apple iPod Touch commercial And while "Around the Bend," is the most noticeable and most commercial song on the band's full-length album Fruit, it is most definitely not their best.

For those unfamiliar, The Asteroids Galaxy Tour is a Danish electro-funk collective that plays a brassy version of indie pop highlighted by vocalist Mette Lindberg's effortless vocals and multi-instrumentalist Lars Iversen's carefree playing. While Lindberg and Iversen are the band's core and anchor, the tandem is quick to share their success with the rest of the group, which includes a saxophonist, a trumpeter, a drummer and a clavinet player, to name but a few. Known for their infectious live shows, the band has spent the better part of the last two years perfecting the songs that make up Fruit.

Lead single "The Sun Ain't Shining No More," is a hip-shaking B-52's sendup that possesses both an old-school charm and a modern edge, making it one of the more irresistible and original pop songs released this year. Overtly bubbly and hypnotic, the song's no worries sentiment seems to rival the song's lyrical moodiness, making one wonder, "Has being in the doldrums ever sounded this triumphant?" The band's dynamic carefree rhythms are not limited to "Around the Bend," and "The Sun Ain't Shining No More Though." In fact, the Danes bring it home on the groove-fueled opener "Lady Jesus," which draws its inspiration from a Danish cult leader; and the psychedelic, soul number "Hero," both of which reveal an arresting ability to mix pop convention with a kaleidoscope that is wholly original and utterly undeniable. Proving their diversity even further, the band tackles melancholy on "Satellite," and carves their way through a quirky singalong in "The Golden Age." The album's other memorable cuts include the blissful "Push the Envelope," and the summery "Sunshine Coolin'," which showcase that the band is not afraid to think outside of the proverbial box. The woozy cadence of both makes for a wistful treat on an album chock full of amiable treats.

Vocalist Mette Lindberg has a lazy drawl that can segue from sleepy to inspired in a matter of seconds and her inherent vocal command is what frames much of this disc. To say that she sounds like few other female vocalists is putting it mildly. Her unique and distinctive timbre is definitively one of the band's strongest assets. With its simplicity and warmness, she seems tailor-made for music of this caliber and this variety. That is to say, Lindberg could probably sing without this music, but her effectiveness would not carry forward without these sugary-sweet melodies.

From front to back Fruit is an irresistible, infectious and indelible aural treat that has a sexy sultriness that is way too good to pass up. Packed with an armful of danceable melodies, hummable choruses and care-free verses, Fruit is arguably one of the year's most original albums and one of the more creative imports to land on this side of the Atlantic in the last few years.

Track Listing 1. Lady Jesus
2. The Sun Ain't Shining No More
3. Push the Envelope
4. Satellite
5. Crazy
6. The Golden Age
7. Around the Bend
8. Sunshine Coolin'
9. Hero
10. Bad Fever

Recommended If You Like The B-52s, Chairlift, Sly Stone, Pizzicato Five, Burt Bacharach, Saint Etienne

Find Them Here Myspace
Website

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
12:50 PM on 10/07/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I'm always down to check out a new band.
12:57 PM on 10/07/09
benjaminnewton
Bangin'
User Info.
around the bend reminds me of early nelly furtado
01:14 PM on 10/07/09
justbrett
User Info.
I like the song from the iPod commercial, the rest of it was just a little too generic for me. If I'm in the mood for this stuff, I'd rather listen to The Sounds, Chairlift, or CSS
01:25 PM on 10/07/09
bloodyr0mance87
User Info.
i think i'm gonna pick this up when it comes out. the songs on their myspace sound as if Apples In Stereo's The Discovery of a World Inside the Moon had been produced by Mark Ronson, and i really like it.
02:15 PM on 10/07/09
Dm!tr! the !st
need new username.
User Info.
I had liked this album, I was surprised to see it was just being reviewed at this site. I think the score is dead on. I found myslef in love with "Crazy", "Lady Jesus" & "The Sun Ain't Shining No More".
03:09 AM on 10/08/09
Gautz
Music makes life bearable!
User Info.
Nice review! About to check it out...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT