AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
So Long Forgotten - Things We Can See and Things We... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 9
Production 8
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.6
Lyrics 9.2
Production 8.45
Creativity 8.85
Lasting Value 9.35
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

So Long Forgotten - Things We Can See and Things We...

Reviewed by: inthemidst (10/07/09)
So Long Forgotten - Things We Can See and Things We Cannot
Record Label: Come&Live! Records
Release Date: August 25, 2009

"I am a bastard, I am a bastard with an awful tongue, but I was that way long before I was a fatherless son."

Words of honest self-assessment made by lead vocalist Micah Boyce of the band So Long Forgotten which is so extremely reminiscent of recent As Cities Burn's Cody Bonnette both lyrically and vocally. The messages of hope and redemption are spilled all over their new record Things We Can See and Things We Cannot on the knowingly generous label Come&Live! Records. So Long Forgotten mixes mid-tempo post-hardcore with indie-rock verocity. Their crescendos typically match the emotions expressed within the track which their predecessors did quite eloquently.

With an introspective lyrical output, Boyce simply does not stray from being as honest as possible as he bears his soul over each track, while maintaining an overall redemptive outlook throughout. He will frequently throw in a loud yelp which almost sounds like a frustrating cry, but then can quickly shift to a more straightforward vocal approach. His Aaron Weiss-esque intensity and mood swings are by no means off-putting. In fact, they're welcomed and encouraged.

The guitars can sometimes shine in the spotlight (Onward, to the Garden), and quickly fade in the background (Banners Over Us). It really varies upon the track. The rhythm driving the songs slip and slide with the slightly complex melody, but the musicianship takes a backseat at times allowing the words from Boyce's lips to truly be heard. However, you can hear some additional elements added. On "Hills Humbled, Mountains Made Low", there are hints of brass horns heard in the background during the verse. This method seems to add emphasis during the hard hitting parts. On "Hosanna", the horns more clearly resonate.

Fans of As Cities Burn and mewithoutYou will absolutely love So Long Forgotten as their honest introspection never fluctuates on any of the tracks, and their emotions are clearly on display. Things We Can See and Things We Cannot is a gem within the realm of independent music, and needs to be heard by as many ears as possible.

Recommended If You LikeAs Cities Burn, mewithoutYou, Thrice

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
04:58 PM on 10/30/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
This is definitely in my top 5 this year. Very close to the top. I love it. Incredible in places.
05:55 PM on 10/30/09
GeeBee
Tertium Non Datur
User Info.
I'm on board.
06:21 AM on 11/06/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
This is definitely in my top 5 this year. Very close to the top. I love it. Incredible in places.
I agree. Don't know if it's top 5 for me, but it's a great album though.
07:23 PM on 11/06/09
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
just got this last night. Great Cd loving it right now, I would probably even put it above Hell or High Water. Definitely top 10 material. Good review as always Kyle.
11:50 AM on 11/13/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
just got this last night. Great Cd loving it right now, I would probably even put it above Hell or High Water. Definitely top 10 material. Good review as always Kyle.
Yeah man, it's good stuff for sure. Thanks for the compliment!
10:05 PM on 11/29/09
Bloodsucker II
ExcuuUUuuse ME, princess!
User Info.
Wow, just realized a review for this was up. Such an amazing album, all I have been listening lately. Top 5 for sure.
11:23 AM on 12/02/09
Deadbolt23
Jacob
User Info.
Very good album. If this year hadn't been so good, it would be top 5.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums