Username
Password

Album Review - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 139.
10:26 AM on 10/12/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
this will be the end of the year's surprising sleeper hit on the site, no doubt in my mind.
Lord I hope so. The animosity so far makes me think otherwise.
10:32 AM on 10/12/09
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Haha, not a chance. They don't even come close to deserving all the nuts that get busted over them.
Except that barely anybody busts a nut over them and they are pretty much unknown still. But okay, whatever you say.

This review is the first time I've seen anyone show interest in the band.
10:32 AM on 10/12/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Except that barely anybody busts a nut over them and they are pretty much unknown still. But okay, whatever you say.

This review is the first time I've seen anyone show interest in the band.
I owe you a drink.
10:33 AM on 10/12/09
adumb
User Info.
I've loved Sherwood since way back when I first heard "Please Wait Up for Me."

I just have to say that this album was a huge disappointment for me. Perhaps the most disappointing album of the year. Since I first listened about three weeks ago, I've given it several more chances but it has done nothing for me. I'm not one of those people who expect the band to keep remaking the same album repeatedly, but I feel this was a step in the wrong direction.

To me, the melodies feel rather generic and boring, the songs lack energy (which wouldn't be so bad if the melodies were stronger), and the constant gang vocals on some tracks is distracting. It seems like most of these songs would be best enjoyed by a mother in her late 30's to 40's. They definitely have that kind of watered down radio appeal. Honestly, I've heard catchier Sugar Ray songs than some of the stuff on this album. It's not that Sherwood were ever "edgy," I just think they have written better melodies in the past.

After hearing "Snowing in Seattle," I was really excited about a new album. But that one song certainly wasn't indicative of what was to come. I'd probably give the album about a 75%.
10:35 AM on 10/12/09
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
With all the midterm studying I'm going through right now, I could use one.
10:36 AM on 10/12/09
*Ro'
www.playitloudfuckers.com
User Info.
It was referenced three times, as a reminder that the band didn't really write 12 new songs. That very point, as referenced in the penultimate paragraph is one of the album's few downsides. Being that the review is so praiseworthy, I had to emit a negative when possible.
But was the 'Not gonna love' EP really released in 2007? It's the year 'A different light' came out...
I thought it was only a promo EP sold this year at shows and on iTunes before the album. To me, it's not a "proper" EP.
10:37 AM on 10/12/09
RunningFool
Hurry up with my damn croissant
User Info.
Weird, this album seems to be very polarizing. My pre-order should get in tomorrow but I listened to it last night when it went up on MySpace, and love it.

I think the EP was actually a preview sampler type thing...they had been saying they were writing/recording a full-length, and then the EP was sold at shows without any press or hype--I don't think there was a formal release. Pretty sure all the songs on QU were written and recorded at the same time as each other, and they just happened to put those three on the EP.
10:39 AM on 10/12/09
blinkme
Sinatra blue
User Info.
Such a vastly overrated band.
How? It's not as if they're on the cover of every music magazine.
10:40 AM on 10/12/09
a nice person
Copeland fan level: Lotus bundle
User Info.
I've loved Sherwood since way back when I first heard "Please Wait Up for Me."

I just have to say that this album was a huge disappointment for me. Perhaps the most disappointing album of the year. Since I first listened about three weeks ago, I've given it several more chances but it has done nothing for me. I'm not one of those people who expect the band to keep remaking the same album repeatedly, but I feel this was a step in the wrong direction.

To me, the melodies feel rather generic and boring, the songs lack energy (which wouldn't be so bad if the melodies were stronger), and the constant gang vocals on some tracks is distracting. It seems like most of these songs would be best enjoyed by a mother in her late 30's to 40's. They definitely have that kind of watered down radio appeal. Honestly, I've heard catchier Sugar Ray songs than some of the stuff on this album. It's not that Sherwood were ever "edgy," I just think they have written better melodies in the past.

After hearing "Snowing in Seattle," I was really excited about a new album. But that one song certainly wasn't indicative of what was to come. I'd probably give the album about a 75%.

i agree. this album was a letdown.
10:40 AM on 10/12/09
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
An 88 is a B plus. How is this not a B plus record? As for the overrated claim, we can agree to disagree. I think if anything they are extremely underrated.
I thought it'd been established a long time ago that the AP scale is not akin to a report card. 50% is supposed to be completely average on a pure percentile scale, not 75% (a solid C). I have no quibble with your score for this album, but it helps when people are consistent about what the numerics really mean.
10:41 AM on 10/12/09
HometownHero
User Info.
About to stream. They are fantastic. Buying this tomorrow
10:43 AM on 10/12/09
ind1ekid
ambulance chaser
User Info.
It is such a disappointing album!
10:45 AM on 10/12/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I thought it'd been established a long time ago that the AP scale is not akin to a report card. 50% is supposed to be completely average on a pure percentile scale, not 75% (a solid C). I have no quibble with your score for this album, but it helps when people are consistent about what the numerics really mean.
I suppose you're onto something. I'll admit naivete on my part for not knowing what the scale means. I was under the assumption, the scale varied by reviewer. For those that know me, they know I generally rate things in the 80s and dont go much lower than 50. Those albums that are truly something special get 90s. This disc is not quite that strong, but not far away, either. That's just my ten cents.
10:46 AM on 10/12/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
But was the 'Not gonna love' EP really released in 2007? It's the year 'A different light' came out...
I thought it was only a promo EP sold this year at shows and on iTunes before the album. To me, it's not a "proper" EP.
Great point. I wrote 2007 as an error. I totally meant 2009. Thank you for noticing that. Great copyediting!
10:49 AM on 10/12/09
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
Haha, not a chance. They don't even come close to deserving all the nuts that get busted over them.
Just for reference, what is a band you don't think is overrated that you like?

Also considering the EP was released as a companion to the album, I wouldn't it consider recycling songs. Just like the Summer of George EP and Chasing Hamburg by Polar Bear Club

I have no idea why people don't think this isn't an upper 80s album. Don't hate on Sherwood go post in a Forever The Sickest Kids thread or something.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums