AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Me And Him Call It Us - Loss Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 3.25
Production 7
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 8.25
Production 10
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 94%

Me And Him Call It Us - Loss

Reviewed by: Dymytry Vance (10/12/09)
Me And Him Call It Us - Loss
Record Label: Stickfigure
Release Date: January 31, 2006

Whenever I think of Loss by Me And Him Call It Us, I immediately recall the days of The Powerpuff Girls. Ridiculous I know, but you learn to create similes about said TV show when you have an aunt who is addicted to highly stylized cartoons involving prepubescent children and how they solve crimes. I think of the sugar, spice, and everything nice part of Me And Him Call It Us (more like Me And Him Call It Quits) because of their ambient sections of songs, and their all around ambient tracks. I think of the dastardly chemical X when I listen to their straightforward grind songs, complete with: indecipherable, gritty, and tough vocals; their lyrics stacked with low-brow humor; and the intense musicianship that doesn't include bass (why include something when you won't even hear it anyway?).

While the sugar, spice, and everything nice has it's wonderful place in the album's twenty minutes of insanity, it's obvious Me And Him Call It Us had a major overdose on chemical X. An example of this overdose is "Sarsaparilla," an extremely heavy track which eventually subsides into a calming outro. The next four tracks are very akin to this track, but hold their original highlights including an extremely raucous rumpus about forty-five seconds into “Just Can't Function No More,” the choking noises in the aptly titled “Cut-Throat Cardiac Arrest,” and the all around elite inaccessibility of it all. “P.S. I Love You” (which came before the horrible movie documenting Hilary Swank's downfall) and “Innocent Bystanders Watched In Horror As Peter Jennings Drew His Murder Weapon” are two successful grind tracks that show how grindcore is more than seizure-inducing blast-beats and boring, incessant breakdowns. With shrieks and moans produced by both vocalists throughout both tracks, we realize how indecipherable the shrieks are, and how immature and lyrically inept the band is when it comes to crafting lyrics. Unfortunately, “I'm biting on the carpet as hard as I can, and the ceiling is still pregnant” is not a clever reference to sex.

However, the ambient part of Me And Him Call It Us (nope, I'm not tired of typing that yet) is almost as good as the rest of the album. Containing lulling guitar melodies and loose drumming, the tranquility shines on all tracks except for “Headache” which proves that not every grind band can make a six and a half minute song exciting. In fact, this just falls flat on its ass and lets the listener understand why Me And Him Call It Us took such heavy amounts of chemical X. But such a tragic musical composition is contrasted by “Loss” which seems to be pure uncensored aural assault. While the music is lulling and would certainly be tranquil by itself, the vocalization complete with whispers, harsh shrieking, moaning, and guttural growls that make Linda Blair blush, renders the instrumentation useless. This album has it's heaping amounts of great moments, and it's share of bad ones. But the benefits certainly outweigh the risks here for any fan of math-grind music. The indecipherable vocals/lyrics, the intense instrumentation contrasting the soft pieces of ambiance, and the strange time-signatures complete the album, and are proof that Cartoon Network needs to replace Secret Saturdays with Powerpuff Girls.

Recommended If You Like:
My America Is Watching Tigers Die; Daughters; Some Girls; Tower Of Rome; An Albatross... Powerpuff Girls Allegiance Alliance members such as myself.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
04:54 PM on 11/06/09
Pete-Fish101
hi, hi! hi!! HAI!!!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
LOVE this album. always will be one of my favorites!
05:02 PM on 11/06/09
popofeliz
Maybe They Will Sing Us Tomorrow
User Info.
their drummer is now guitarist in O'brother, big change haha

anyway great band
06:32 PM on 11/06/09
CobraLucha
User Info.
This band is so sick- I saw them a bunch probably 4 or 5 years ago in cincinnati. Nuckin futz
09:10 AM on 11/07/09
seans seatbelt
www.seanplz.com
User Info.
RIP, amazing album
11:05 AM on 11/07/09
DogSizedBird
User Info.
Great, great album and band. Their last recorded material (Greener Grass 7") is pretty incredible too. Their bass player went on to play in The Blue Letter (who also put out a split with mahciu) and has since left, but The Blue Letter are still really awesome. Think real screamo meets post-rock, kind of City of Caterpillar-ish.
01:40 PM on 11/07/09
I am Mick
http://www.worncolors.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
I used to be real into these dudes and their side projects, might need to revisit. Aaron's in O'Brother now, good dude.
06:38 PM on 11/07/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
I enjoy that whenever you do naything related to a defunct mathcore band, you always hear "this person is in this band" a billion times. Just an observation.
10:05 AM on 11/09/09
Criesofthepast7
oh word?
User Info.
this band was awesome, total bummer they called it quits.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests