Username
Password

Album Review - Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 75 of 100.
02:11 PM on 10/15/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Good musicianship, not a huge fan of the vocals. Not trying to get in any fights, I'm just curious, can people actually understand the lyrics without reading them first?
Pretty sure that's not one of the goals for Converge. They're more focused on creating brutal yet oddly approachable melodies, with epic high-pitched vocals.
02:27 PM on 10/15/09
Sloth7
Kitton Mittons
User Info.
This band fucking sucks. This genre fucking sucks too.

I can't figure out why Drew gets his rocks off giving high scores to these garbage bands that sound exactly the same like all the other shit out there.

Converge sounds like a bunch of idiots banging on trash cans in a basement yelling their heads off. Any group of morons could replicate this kind of music. It has ZERO value.
Okay, well I wanted to rip into you more, but it seems like everyone's done that already, so I'll just give it a try and actually address your points to make you see the folly in your statement.

First, I don't honestly think Converge are the kind of band making music to appeal to anyone. They create art which is chaotic, brutal and ugly at times, and mold it into something amazing to listen to. If you're up for the ride and want to give this music a shot, then I'm sure Converge invites it, but they're making the music they want to make, and that's abrasive and aggressive music and if you don't like it, they couldn't care less.

That being said, there's a demographic of people, myself being one, who find this to be good music. It may be harsh on the ears for some, but to me, it's conveying emotion and feeling within all that "banging on trash cans and yelling their heads off" you mentioned. Much like how I wouldn't find your underground hip-hop to be pleasing to my ear, everything's not for everyone, and I wouldn't say your musical tastes "suck" or have "zero value", it's just different strokes, different folks...

Take a look at Jacob Bannon's lyrics, and try to really understand what he's saying, or equally, his artwork. Or listen to the instrumentation on one of their albums, and you'll see extensive talent withing what you think is trash.

Or better yet, go to a Converge show and even if you can't agree with their music, if you can't see the emotion, energy and connection to their fans that few other bands can produce, then there's no hope. Zero value? I think not.
03:58 PM on 10/15/09
Freud
User Info.
Lol@dude who likes breaking benjamin and alt rock. pansy ass bitch.
04:08 PM on 10/15/09
mayorofparty
User Info.
So i just got in to hardcore about a year or so ago. Ive been listening to the newer bands out there (plea for purging, impending doom, reign supreme.) In comparison to those types of bands..can anyone tell me how these guys compare? (i know..newb :P)

Converge put out what is widely considered to be one of the best albums in the genre with "jane doe"
In addition to his own band Kurt Ballou has produced and recorded some remarkable hardcore albums over the past ten years.
Vocalist Jacob Bannon has done art work for a number of the biggest bands in hardcore and metalcore. He also owns and operates Deathwish inc.
They're pretty fucking pivotal and important to the genre. See them live, you'll understand.
04:20 PM on 10/15/09
Simulcast
No more gold lights
User Info.
The score is a bit high in my opinion, but this is one excellent album.
He's scared to give them anything lower because J. Bannon will throw a mic at his face and knock his ass out.
04:30 PM on 10/15/09
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
He's scared to give them anything lower because J. Bannon will throw a mic at his face and knock his ass out.
Fairly irrelevant, but that visual reminded me of this: http://barkbarkbarkbark.ytmnd.com/
05:18 PM on 10/15/09
saveferris
Fine, I tried
User Info.
People could say that about any genre.

The music you listen to is the polar opposite of hardcore music...ANYONE would be taken aback if they are avid techno/electro/whatever listeners and they throw on thrash/hardcore.
That's probably how Brokencyde got started
05:35 PM on 10/15/09
InBetweenAisles
WeReadTheSignsCompletelyB ackwards
User Info.
Those are a lot of guest musicians.
05:37 PM on 10/15/09
JayDanielHammer
solidkneeplus.tumblr.com
User Info.
Techno sucks anyway.

Gonna listen to this tonight, I'm expecting to love it since ETID recommends it and ETID is God
05:39 PM on 10/15/09
Holly HoX!
User Info.
That's probably how Brokencyde got started
No, Brokencyde was started after Satan took a shit.
05:44 PM on 10/15/09
saveferris
Fine, I tried
User Info.
No, Brokencyde was started after Satan took a shit.
haha, touche.
05:45 PM on 10/15/09
saveferris
Fine, I tried
User Info.
Techno sucks anyway.

Gonna listen to this tonight, I'm expecting to love it since ETID recommends it and ETID is God
Even God hates techno.
05:52 PM on 10/15/09
JayDanielHammer
solidkneeplus.tumblr.com
User Info.
Even God hates techno.
and kids who like techno.
06:21 PM on 10/15/09
kissbangkill
panda @ weworemasks.com
User Info.
How could you listen to electronic music and not know what "EDM" means? It's impossible.
i do know what EDM means. that was someone else.
06:30 PM on 10/15/09
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Accessible is hardly the word I'd use, especially for the first 4 tracks. If anything, the 2nd half is more accessible, due to the new trend of doomy/sludgy (for lack of better terms) bands the past couple years.
Well, everyone has stated how they love the first few tracks and need to spend more time with the later tracks, so that's how I interpret accessible!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums