ferrisstryker
User Info.

"Who gives a fuck what Ja Rule thinks at a time like this."
win!
11:34 AM on 10/21/09
Ricketts
@allenricketts
User Info.
Sorry to hear you hate your hero because he wants to help people who are being forced into bankruptcy because they can't receive something necessary because some big corporation would rather get money than save people.
I didn't voice my opinion on healthcare at all. I was speaking generally.
11:39 AM on 10/21/09
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I wish famous people would stay out of politics. It makes me hate my heroes.
I didn't know that once you surpass a certain level of fame you give up your 1st Amendment Rights.
11:41 AM on 10/21/09
birdman
Don't hold your breath
User Info.
This is a pretty compelling, albeit all too common story. I don't think there is a person in this country that thinks that the healthcare industry is fine the way it is. Its just in the way they want to fix it that a disagreement arises.

I do want to ask an obvious question, does the tour promoters or the label not provide health insurance to the tour crew? I would think that they would.
11:42 AM on 10/21/09
homerjay
User Info.
I wish famous people would stay out of politics. It makes me hate my heroes.
That's a ridiculous reason to hate someone. Whether you agree with him or not, he's using his fame to help a cause that he sees as important (and with good reason).
11:42 AM on 10/21/09
Phil507
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really enjoy Mark's article but I find myself asking myself the same questions that I ask after every health care debate (for both sides)

Free Health Care is great but who's paying for it?
If we pay for it through taxes, effectively, will that lower doctor salaries and, thus, lead to less qualified candidates becoming practitioners of medicine?
Do doctors really work to help people or do they work to further their career and make more money (after all, none of us work for free)?
Where can we cut spending in order to fund more health care? <cough>military spending<cough>

Not trying to spark controversy and I'm on Mark's side. Just questions to consider.
11:53 AM on 10/21/09
jmirand1
User Info.
I didn't know that once you surpass a certain level of fame you give up your 1st Amendment Rights.
Same tired dialogue I hear every time a famous person says something about politics:

Tool A: I hate it when famous people talk about politics!
Tool B: Oh, yeah? Well, famous people have free speech too!
11:55 AM on 10/21/09
jmirand1
User Info.
Sorry to hear you hate your hero because he wants to help people who are being forced into bankruptcy because they can't receive something necessary because some big corporation would rather get money than save people.
Who wouldn't rather get money than save people? Getting money is awesome.
12:08 PM on 10/21/09
radxbandit
i don't know
User Info.
Who wouldn't rather get money than save people? Getting money is awesome.
I'd rather have both!
12:10 PM on 10/21/09
sleepyseanzzz
Get in that ass, Larry!
User Info.
chill out its not like hes ever been on a rock against bush compilation or every spoke out publicly before....hes trying to help a friend in need
12:20 PM on 10/21/09
Phil507
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Same tired dialogue I hear every time a famous person says something about politics:

Tool A: I hate it when famous people talk about politics!
Tool B: Oh, yeah? Well, famous people have free speech too!
How is one a "tool" for merely pointing out that all Americans have the SAME rights (at least, in practice)?

I agree, the conversation is tired, but blame the idiots who cry "celebrities shouldn't talk about politics" for making us succumb to the cliche-but-correct follow-up.
12:20 PM on 10/21/09
ManicanParty49
Rob Carey Peterson
User Info.
Sure, celebs aren't experts on topics...but when they feel moved enough to want to say something, I think its cool, whether I agree or not...as long as they are doing so respectfully, and with some actual knowledge on what they are talking about.

Props to Mark.
12:27 PM on 10/21/09
radxbandit
i don't know
User Info.
How is one a "tool" for merely pointing out that all Americans have the SAME rights (at least, in practice)?

I agree, the conversation is tired, but blame the idiots who cry "celebrities shouldn't talk about politics" for making us succumb to the cliche-but-correct follow-up.
We should just end here, this says just about everything.
12:36 PM on 10/21/09
KingsCrossing
What are you waiting for?
User Info.
Yeah man, I hate when rock bands speak out about important causes.
12:40 PM on 10/21/09
c_j
User Info.
Regardless of what side you are on, it was really well written....

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos