Password

Album Review

This Twilight City - Just Breathe Album Cover

This Twilight City - Just Breathe

Reviewed by
This Twilight City - Just Breathe
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: November 1, 2009
This Twilight City are a band with ambition.

On November 1st, they will release their new digital EP Just Breathe, the follow up to the group’s Honesty EP which they released under the name Anchors For Reality. The band have high hopes for Just Breathe - they hope to break the record for the most albums sold by an unsigned band in one day. It helps that the EP itself is nothing short of astounding.

Opening track “July Was Cold This Year” begins the way every album opener should - with a long woah. The song is unashamedly poppy and melodic, but the vocal tone in the verses is intriguing enough to ensure the song isn’t dismissed as just another pop rock track.

By the time second song “Burn Alive” begins, the band have dramatically changed direction. “Burn Alive” is much darker than the previous track, the drums and guitar creating a sense of immediacy in the verse while the back up vocals give the chorus an added edge. It’s hard to believe this is the same band. Such a drastic change in sound should be disorientating, but it works very well in this case and showcases the diversity of the band.

“I Miss You Like Summer” is a full band, mid-tempo love song that sounds like the full band line-up of Dashboard Confessional on better days. “Please Don’t Say Goodnight” is relaxing and pretty, before the band veer into the energetic “In Pieces”. Again, “In Pieces” finds the band changing direction, with the guitar providing an interesting layer of sound under the second verse.

“Where Are We Now?” is easily the darkest track on the EP, sounding vaguely like Alexisonfire in parts. There are screams under the main vocals in the opening verse, but the track doesn’t lose any of its melody as the two sets of vocals work very well together.

“Dead Star (The Acoustic Song)” again finds the band turning to an acoustic sound to produce a light and warm love song. There are dual vocals on the chorus, demonstrating once more that This Twilight City are able to use harmonies very well. The overall effect is incredibly charming.

Closing track “The Morning After” returns to the full band sound, and again it’s melodic with a big chorus. It would be easy to overproduce a track like “The Morning After”, but thankfully it isn’t too slick, resulting in a very accessible but organic song.

It's clear from This Twilight City’s objective that they’re a very ambitious band, and Just Breathe reflects that. Every single track is different from the one before, yet the EP doesn’t sound like a rushed, thrown together collection of everything the band has. Just Breathe is a mix of summer days and winter nights, with songs for every mood. Whether This Twilight City break the record remains to be seen, but this is surely just the start of what should be a long and accomplished career.

Recommended If You LikeDashboard Confessional, Jimmy Eat World

myspace.com/thistwilightcity
This review is a user submitted review from dravenvalentine. You can see all of dravenvalentine's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
05:20 PM on 10/30/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well written; love the comparisons throughout, and how the introduction relates to the conclusion, but I hate track-by-tracks haha
01:55 PM on 10/31/09
lakemichigan
User Info.
wow.. Final Verdict: 84% I'm already excited for this record.
02:34 PM on 10/31/09
dravenvalentine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
wow.. Final Verdict: 84% I'm already excited for this record.
I really enjoyed it! I'd never heard of the band before, so it was all completely new to me but I was really impressed :)
02:38 PM on 10/31/09
dravenvalentine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well written; love the comparisons throughout, and how the introduction relates to the conclusion, but I hate track-by-tracks haha
Well, I'm glad you liked most of it haha. I tried approaching this review differently, because usually I write reviews in the track-by-track format, but I just couldn't break away from it, I guess that's just the way my mind is working these days. I think the fact that every track on this album is worth mentioning, and also that they're all so different meant that doing the review this way just seemed like the logical choice, but I do see where you're coming from, I know track-by-track reviews can be a bit annoying sometimes!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos